PDA

View Full Version : Any easy trails in NOVA/MD/WV?

greenmonk
03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
I was wondering if you guys can point me to any easy trails up to 90 minutes away from Dulles Airport that I can practice on? I'm new to 4WD and want to learn and practice so I can go have some fun on some harder trails. Now with this sequester, I'll have more time off of work than I thought! :dammit: I might as well use that time to learn how to use my 4Runner to the fullest.

They also have to be easy enough trails for a stock 4th Gen Limited. I'm still learning what different mods are out there and what they can do, so I haven't done anything yet. I don't know even where to start. I figure that I can at least learn the basics of using 4WD first.

Any suggestions?

miklohakim
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Hey Peters Mill is a pretty easy trail and its only about an hour from NORVA. Its closed for the winter until the end of March I think. Let me know if you want to hit the trail.

wanta4runner
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Hey Peters Mill is a pretty easy trail and its only about an hour from NORVA. Its closed for the winter until the end of March I think. Let me know if you want to hit the trail.

Is there a website or link to this trail? Only thing I can see is for atv access but reading of jeeps going on the trail. I'm only a half hour away and if it's not too difficult for a stock 2000 4Runner 4wd with e-locker I might be interested in doing a day trip there sometime this summer.

greenmonk
03-19-2013, 10:49 PM
I would definitely be interested in doing a day trip when the weather gets a little more predictable. This spring, then snow, then spring, then snow, now spring again weather is getting annoying. Once we figure out what season we're in, I'm up for something.

kevinpt
03-19-2013, 10:57 PM
I would definitely be interested in doing a day trip when the weather gets a little more predictable. This spring, then snow, then spring, then snow, now spring again weather is getting annoying. Once we figure out what season we're in, I'm up for something.
I don't think Virginia ever knows what season it is

RiFF RaFF
04-22-2013, 08:07 AM
greenmonk

greenmonk - you might want to consider joining up with our off roading club - Welcome to OCC's Website (http://www.offcambercrawlers.com/cms/index.php)

Most of our members are in and around the DC metro area, and have a lot of off roading experience that they can share with you.

Sign up for the mailing list - there are always local off roading trips were you can gain experience.

Just tell them 'Honey Badger' Doug sent you.

:cell:

I was wondering if you guys can point me to any easy trails up to 90 minutes away from Dulles Airport that I can practice on? I'm new to 4WD and want to learn and practice so I can go have some fun on some harder trails. Now with this sequester, I'll have more time off of work than I thought! :dammit: I might as well use that time to learn how to use my 4Runner to the fullest.

They also have to be easy enough trails for a stock 4th Gen Limited. I'm still learning what different mods are out there and what they can do, so I haven't done anything yet. I don't know even where to start. I figure that I can at least learn the basics of using 4WD first.

Any suggestions?

wanta4runner
04-22-2013, 09:32 AM
greenmonk

greenmonk - you might want to consider joining up with our off roading club - Welcome to OCC's Website (http://www.offcambercrawlers.com/cms/index.php)

Most of our members are in and around the DC metro area, and have a lot of off roading experience that they can share with you.

Sign up for the mailing list - there are always local off roading trips were you can gain experience.

:cell:

The State Line trail is right near me as with peters mill. One question about the state line trail. If I'm not mistaken that is Coal Mine Hollow. I've taken a 94 Ford Tempo back there to hunt. Is there a trail you go off on for a better ride cause I just remember it being a gravel road. I could be mistaken though.

Benjamn88
04-22-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm in the area and would be down to meet up with people to do some trail riding. I have been looking on here for local meets but havent seen much. even if its just one other person still better then just me lol

- Greenfield road off of new design road has a few little and I mean little trails. not worth driving to far to get to but if your close to it u might wana look. i'm trying to find someone to visit Garrett Co with and explore up there

ghostridr
05-11-2013, 06:23 PM
There's a possible meet on May 18th @ GWNF trails by the Tacoma guys if anyone is interested. See below for details.

Meadow Knob/Flagpole Knob Wheeling Meet May 11-12 - Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/south-east/275625-meadow-knob-flagpole-knob-wheeling-meet-may-11-12-a.html)

I might go if enough there's enough buzz.

greenmonk
05-11-2013, 06:33 PM
you might want to consider joining up with our off roading club - Welcome to OCC's Website (http://www.offcambercrawlers.com/cms/index.php)

Thanks! I've bookmarked the website and will try and participate. It looks fun!

There's a possible meet on May 18th @ GWNF trails by the Tacoma guys if anyone is interested. See below for details.

Meadow Knob/Flagpole Knob Wheeling Meet May 11-12 - Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/south-east/275625-meadow-knob-flagpole-knob-wheeling-meet-may-11-12-a.html)

I might go if enough there's enough buzz.
If this wasn't on the 18th, I'd go. I just have to be in DC on the night of the 18th, so there is no way I can go that far south in VA for the day. If anyone wants to do a local day trip somewhere soon, I'm up for that.

wrestler157
05-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I went to the last one they had same guy running it. Had a good turn out of Tacoma's and it was fun besides freezing and raining

wrestler157
06-01-2013, 01:18 AM
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279253