PDA

View Full Version : Portland Snow [again]

acolle
01-10-2017, 07:55 PM
Portland Public Schools have already canceled all events after 6pm tonight! If we have snow all night/day tomorrow, Wednesday’s commute is going to be a comedy show. I’m baffled at how so little snow can cripple an entire city as bad as it does Portland…

ExCabSwap
01-10-2017, 07:59 PM
What's worse is that since I've lived here in the Vancouver area (5 years almost), every year there is freezing rain/snow and every year it's a big surprise to everyone.. what do you expect? Go back to California...

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

acolle
01-10-2017, 08:11 PM
What's worse is that since I've lived here in the Vancouver area (5 years almost), every year there is freezing rain/snow and every year it's a big surprise to everyone.. what do you expect? Go back to California...

I've been here for over 20 years and I didn't come from California. But thank you for assuming so. I'm simply calling out how unprepared everybody, including ODOT, seems to be. Other cities handle this stuff so much better. I mean seriously... 1" of snow brings a city like Portland to a halt for two/three days!?!! There is some serious humor in that. Sorry if I upset you fella... Possibly you could use a little sunshine yourself! ;)

ExCabSwap
01-10-2017, 08:44 PM
I've been here for over 20 years and I didn't come from California. But thank you for assuming so. I'm simply calling out how unprepared everybody, including ODOT, seems to be. Other cities handle this stuff so much better. I mean seriously... 1" of snow brings a city like Portland to a halt for two/three days!?!! There is some serious humor in that. Sorry if I upset you fella... Possibly you could use a little sunshine yourself! ;)
Haha.. it wasn't directed at you bro, it was directed at the same unprepared people you were talking about..

Rereading what I wrote, I can see how it could be misunderstood to read like I'm directing that at you. Sorry about that.

I thought it was funny how they had a special news announcement and the camera panned out to show a dusting of snow on a sidewalk.. wasn't even covered, just the edge where the grass was haha..

HOJeepster
01-10-2017, 08:45 PM

I don't think the guy is saying your from Cali, but that the majority of dipshits living in Portland now are from Cali.

Seems like Oregon is having a nice winter. I was there last week and had snow close to the coast.

acolle
01-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Haha.. it wasn't directed at you bro.

Yup! We cool. I just tried to clarify my point. And announce the fact I didn't come up from CA. ;)

BOSMECH
01-17-2017, 10:45 AM
I grew up in Seattle and even back years ago people handled it better it seems.
I then moved all over and lived in Boston for the last 9 years and when I came back ( 2 years ago ) my work said they were getting 2 to 3 of snow and getting hotel rooms for some people and me and a guy from New York said 2 to 3 feet and then they said inches and we just busted up laughing, and they said but we have hills here and we said so does back east and they get feet of snow.
Bottom line is the west coast cities are gimps when it comes to snow.

BearBio
06-29-2021, 01:09 PM
December 26th one year: We got 23" of snow in Wenatchee. I was in charge of my duty station at the Forest Service Headquarters. Portland got 3" of snow. I couldn't contact anyone at the RO in Portland to confirm I was closing (Portland had closed up). Finally, in conjunction with the Forest Service and our Spokane Office, we all closed on our own authority after State Patrol recommended we leave.

Another year, I was at a meeting with NSA and FBI in Portland and they got 1" of snow. Walking back to my hotel, I saw one pedestrian hit (while on the sidewalk) and two fender benders.

In Oregon, they have to post signs not to pass the snowplows on the right!

Wouldn't ever live on the westside of the hills!

PS: Learned to park under or next to a "landmark" so that you know which snowpiles is your vehicle!

rdruss
06-29-2021, 02:01 PM
Bet that snow would be welcome today!