User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 10:52 AM #16
Gecko Gecko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 557
Gecko will become famous soon enough Gecko will become famous soon enough
Gecko Gecko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 557
Gecko will become famous soon enough Gecko will become famous soon enough
Thanks, @MAST4R . Just fired off an email to Falken. I'll let you guys know what they say.

I'm most curious to see if their number is wrong for REV/mile, because it seems off based on specs. Whether the tire is 31.6" or 31.7", I truly do not care at all.
__________________

2019 4Runner Limited 4x4: Black/Redwood, TRD Pro LED Fogs, 17" Sequoia wheels on 265/70 17 BFG KO2s, TRD Skid Plate @4RUnLimited
Gecko is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:21 AM #17
MAST4R's Avatar
MAST4R MAST4R is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: AZ
Posts: 734
MAST4R is just really nice MAST4R is just really nice MAST4R is just really nice MAST4R is just really nice MAST4R is just really nice
MAST4R MAST4R is online now
Member
MAST4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: AZ
Posts: 734
MAST4R is just really nice MAST4R is just really nice MAST4R is just really nice MAST4R is just really nice MAST4R is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Thanks, @MAST4R . Just fired off an email to Falken. I'll let you guys know what they say.

I'm most curious to see if their number is wrong for REV/mile, because it seems off based on specs. Whether the tire is 31.6" or 31.7", I truly do not care at all.
Btw, Consumer Reports, which I suppose only tests P metrics, recommends the Wildpeak. Not only that, but their recommended tires are all packed tightly.

And the Wildpeak is the only recommended Consumer Reports AT tire that actually has a highly capable offroad tread.

So I think that in between Consumer Reports testing and all that has been said on this forum by people who actually have used Wildpeaks, it is pretty clear that the Wildpeak is the tire to beat in P for anyone who goes out there.
__________________
2018 TRD OP non-kdss, well armored, well used

Last edited by MAST4R; 09-13-2019 at 12:36 AM.
MAST4R is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:08 AM #18
Thai's Avatar
Thai Thai is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 18,289
Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough
Thai Thai is offline
Elite Member
Thai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 18,289
Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAST4R View Post
Btw, Consumer Reports, which I suppose only tests P metrics, recommends the Wildpeak. Not only that, but their recommended tires are all packed tightly.

And the Wildpeak is the only recommended Consumer Reports AT tire that actually has a highly capable offroad tread.

So I think that in between Consumer Reports testing and all that has been said on this forum by people who actually have used Wildpeaks, it is pretty clear that the Wildpeak is the tire to beat in P for anyone who goes out there.
Tire to beat? It is cheap and a good value...no doubt about that. But tire to beat? Goodyear Adventure AT Kevlar is a better tire IF you take out the price difference. Lighter weight. Stronger in both tread AND sidewall. Similar mileage. Quieter. And based on Rev/Mile, a taller tire to boot.

Yokohama AT G015 may have some say in it too with its Enduro compound and not too shabby sidewall strength.

But are the Falkens good value? Yup...but you do get what you pay for in terms of materials used. But is it the best P-metric AT bar none? IMHO, no.

Consumer Reports is a good source but they also take in the cost of a product. I have General tires on my minivan that is rated #1. Great tire for what you pay for. But its sidewall is 1 ply, which is fine on a minivan but Michelins and others are 2-plies.
__________________
2019 Lexus GX Luxury with Driver Support
2017 Toyota Sienna Limited 2wd
2015 Acura MDX SH-AWD with TECH

My Lexus GX EPIC build thread
Thai is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:21 PM #19
Gecko Gecko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 557
Gecko will become famous soon enough Gecko will become famous soon enough
Gecko Gecko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 557
Gecko will become famous soon enough Gecko will become famous soon enough
No reply email from Falken and I'm about 2 weeks out from making a call on new tires. I realize we highjacked the OP's thread but I hope this has been useful overall.
__________________

2019 4Runner Limited 4x4: Black/Redwood, TRD Pro LED Fogs, 17" Sequoia wheels on 265/70 17 BFG KO2s, TRD Skid Plate @4RUnLimited
Gecko is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:46 PM #20
JLTD JLTD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South of Denver
Posts: 58
Real Name: Mike
JLTD is on a distinguished road
JLTD JLTD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South of Denver
Posts: 58
Real Name: Mike
JLTD is on a distinguished road
You bet, appreciate all the perspectives, definitely some food for thought.

Will likely go with P rated.
__________________
2015 SR5, 55,000 miles
JLTD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:22 PM #21
Thai's Avatar
Thai Thai is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 18,289
Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough
Thai Thai is offline
Elite Member
Thai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 18,289
Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough Thai is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Tire to beat? It is cheap and a good value...no doubt about that. But tire to beat? Goodyear Adventure AT Kevlar is a better tire IF you take out the price difference. Lighter weight. Stronger in both tread AND sidewall. Similar mileage. Quieter. And based on Rev/Mile, a taller tire to boot.

Yokohama AT G015 may have some say in it too with its Enduro compound and not too shabby sidewall strength.

But are the Falkens good value? Yup...but you do get what you pay for in terms of materials used. But is it the best P-metric AT bar none? IMHO, no.

Consumer Reports is a good source but they also take in the cost of a product. I have General tires on my minivan that is rated #1. Great tire for what you pay for. But its sidewall is 1 ply, which is fine on a minivan but Michelins and others are 2-plies.
Just to backed up what i wrote above about strength: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...6&d=1497265431

BFG is #1...but that is a given due to it being LT and 3-ply sidewall. But surprisingly, Goodyear AT Adventure comes in 2nd and not that far behind with its DuraWall. Yokohama AT-S (old generation; new redesign is the G015 state above) comes in 3rd...behind BFG and GY but above the rest.
__________________
2019 Lexus GX Luxury with Driver Support
2017 Toyota Sienna Limited 2wd
2015 Acura MDX SH-AWD with TECH

My Lexus GX EPIC build thread
Thai is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:18 PM #22
JLTD JLTD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South of Denver
Posts: 58
Real Name: Mike
JLTD is on a distinguished road
JLTD JLTD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South of Denver
Posts: 58
Real Name: Mike
JLTD is on a distinguished road
Interesting article--
__________________
2015 SR5, 55,000 miles
JLTD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5100s , hear , load , sway , tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
And my tire decision was... NeilC 4th Gen T4Rs 6 09-08-2019 09:51 PM
Tire decision - need help hikenbike 4th Gen T4Rs 22 12-13-2014 01:15 PM
Tire Decision OHP 4th Gen T4Rs 47 06-22-2012 02:35 PM
Need help with a tire decision! camdz 4th Gen T4Rs 27 05-18-2011 10:56 AM
Tire Decision BlackYotaSport3 4th Gen T4Rs 3 02-01-2011 12:12 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.