User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2020, 12:48 PM #16
Burt Burt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver Area
Posts: 594
Burt is on a distinguished road
Burt Burt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver Area
Posts: 594
Burt is on a distinguished road
Sometimes I take my bike out and it fits well in the cargo area with front wheel removed. Could that work for your 3rd bike?
__________________
Burt

2008 SR5 V6 4WD
1984 1/2 GT350 Mustang
2005 F250 SuperDuty 6.0PSD FX4 Lariat
Burt is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 PM #17
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Sometimes I take my bike out and it fits well in the cargo area with front wheel removed. Could that work for your 3rd bike?


Possibly as long as 3rd person could still sit back there. But bikes get dirty and muddy so wouldn’t want to do it all the time. I’ll have to see if the smallest bike will fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rotorwind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:35 PM #18
Reinout's Avatar
Reinout Reinout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 329
Real Name: Reinout
Reinout will become famous soon enough
Reinout Reinout is offline
Member
Reinout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 329
Real Name: Reinout
Reinout will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't bother with the roof at all and go with a vertical rack. I'm a bit brand biased to Yakima: HangOver - Bike - Activity

Other option is NorthShort rack: NSR 4-Bike Rack | North Shore Racks

These options are what we see in the PNW all the time. Holds the bikes closer to the car as well. And unlike a tray style carrier it's easier to load/unload.

I never carry that many bikes so I have a 2 tray carrier from Yakima that I could extend if I want to.
__________________
1997 4Runner SR5- ~370k Miles and counting - 5 Speed E-Locker
2007 4Runner Limited V6- 142k Miles - Automatic - Brake Controller.
2011 VW JSW TDI- 104k Miles - 6 Speed - Air Lift 1000
2006 Scamp trailer 16'
Reinout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:18 PM #19
winstonrodney's Avatar
winstonrodney winstonrodney is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 18
winstonrodney is on a distinguished road
winstonrodney winstonrodney is offline
Junior Member
winstonrodney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 18
winstonrodney is on a distinguished road
My personal opinion is that the 1-Up racks are the way to go. You'll spend money on them, but they're bulletproof. I have a 2-bike rack and 2 single bike attachments so I can take however many I need. And each tray is up 15 degrees from the previous one so you can still go through some bumps without dragging the rack.
That being said, I have bounced the thing with three bikes all through the Utah deserts and the fire roads of Colorado. Never had an issue. The rack attachment is unique (an expanding ball bearing wedges into your hitch) and I've always used a short U-lock to lock the rack to my rig and it serves to keep the rack on if the ball loosens up.
I bought this after my exhaust melted one of my carbon mtn bike wheels when it was hanging from a Yakima rack.
__________________
2007 SR5 - 2" OME lift, ASFIR skids
winstonrodney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 PM #20
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonrodney View Post
My personal opinion is that the 1-Up racks are the way to go. You'll spend money on them, but they're bulletproof. I have a 2-bike rack and 2 single bike attachments so I can take however many I need. And each tray is up 15 degrees from the previous one so you can still go through some bumps without dragging the rack.

That being said, I have bounced the thing with three bikes all through the Utah deserts and the fire roads of Colorado. Never had an issue. The rack attachment is unique (an expanding ball bearing wedges into your hitch) and I've always used a short U-lock to lock the rack to my rig and it serves to keep the rack on if the ball loosens up.

I bought this after my exhaust melted one of my carbon mtn bike wheels when it was hanging from a Yakima rack.

1up definitely builds good stuff! Considering it. Was your melted rim in a 4runner with a vertical Yakima rack? That would suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinout View Post
I wouldn't bother with the roof at all and go with a vertical rack. I'm a bit brand biased to Yakima: HangOver - Bike - Activity



Other option is NorthShort rack: NSR 4-Bike Rack | North Shore Racks



These options are what we see in the PNW all the time. Holds the bikes closer to the car as well. And unlike a tray style carrier it's easier to load/unload.



I never carry that many bikes so I have a 2 tray carrier from Yakima that I could extend if I want to.


I am considering a vertical rack. Seems to be a good option!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rotorwind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 PM #21
Reinout's Avatar
Reinout Reinout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 329
Real Name: Reinout
Reinout will become famous soon enough
Reinout Reinout is offline
Member
Reinout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 329
Real Name: Reinout
Reinout will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwind View Post
1up definitely builds good stuff! Considering it. Was your melted rim in a 4runner with a vertical Yakima rack? That would suck!





I am considering a vertical rack. Seems to be a good option!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are. Trays are great too.

There are essentially 3 types of hitch mount bike rack:
-Vertical like NorthShort and Yakima Hangover (and others)
-Tray style: Like 1Up, many Yakima, Thule, INNO, etc.
-Hanging style: Like the Yakima FullSwing: FullSwing | Bike Hitch Rack | Yakima Racks

The pro for the last one is that it's the smallest rack and generally the lightest so it's easier on-off the vehicle and doesn't take up as much space in storage (and the one in the link happens to swing away so you can get to the trunk without taking the bikes off).

The CON is that the bikes hang down: with all the full suspension bike designs they bike will not hang "level" and the front wheel generally angles down closer to the ground. And if you hang it just right/wrong, in front of hot exhaust. Hot enough to delaminate carbon wheels and melt rubber.
__________________
1997 4Runner SR5- ~370k Miles and counting - 5 Speed E-Locker
2007 4Runner Limited V6- 142k Miles - Automatic - Brake Controller.
2011 VW JSW TDI- 104k Miles - 6 Speed - Air Lift 1000
2006 Scamp trailer 16'
Reinout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:38 PM #22
mesooohoppy mesooohoppy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 550
mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about
mesooohoppy mesooohoppy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 550
mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
I would honestly sell it and get a 1up or some other hitch rack that can carry 3.
this is the correct answer. i would never want to put an expensive bike that high up on a 4runner. too much bad stuff waiting to happen!

dont just limit yourself to a 3 bike rack, get a 4 bike rack. im sure they make modular ones.
__________________
99 4runner limited; imperial jade mica
IG: mesooohoppy
mesooohoppy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:12 PM #23
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
Roof bike rack- ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinout View Post
They are. Trays are great too.



There are essentially 3 types of hitch mount bike rack:

-Vertical like NorthShort and Yakima Hangover (and others)

-Tray style: Like 1Up, many Yakima, Thule, INNO, etc.

-Hanging style: Like the Yakima FullSwing: FullSwing | Bike Hitch Rack | Yakima Racks



The pro for the last one is that it's the smallest rack and generally the lightest so it's easier on-off the vehicle and doesn't take up as much space in storage (and the one in the link happens to swing away so you can get to the trunk without taking the bikes off).



The CON is that the bikes hang down: with all the full suspension bike designs they bike will not hang "level" and the front wheel generally angles down closer to the ground. And if you hang it just right/wrong, in front of hot exhaust. Hot enough to delaminate carbon wheels and melt rubber.


The 3rd option is out for me. It’s hard to hang my wife’s bike (Santa Cruz) on a rack like that because where the rear suspension is mounted. So looking at option 1 or 2. With 1up I can get a 2 bike rack and add a #1. I’m liking that option. Just $$$. Always can add another #1 later if I decide I need 4 total.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by rotorwind; 01-21-2020 at 09:14 PM.
rotorwind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 PM #24
Reinout's Avatar
Reinout Reinout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 329
Real Name: Reinout
Reinout will become famous soon enough
Reinout Reinout is offline
Member
Reinout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 329
Real Name: Reinout
Reinout will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwind View Post
The 3rd option is out for me. It’s hard to hang my wife’s bike (Santa Cruz) on a rack like that because where the rear suspension is mounted. So looking at option 1 or 2. With 1up I can get a 2 bike rack and add a #1. I’m liking that option. Just $$$. Always can add another #1 later if I decide I need 4 total.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd go with a good secure option: one where when your wife's SantaCruz is on the back you can be rest assured that it's on there and not going anywhere ☺
__________________
1997 4Runner SR5- ~370k Miles and counting - 5 Speed E-Locker
2007 4Runner Limited V6- 142k Miles - Automatic - Brake Controller.
2011 VW JSW TDI- 104k Miles - 6 Speed - Air Lift 1000
2006 Scamp trailer 16'
Reinout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:58 PM #25
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinout View Post
I'd go with a good secure option: one where when your wife's SantaCruz is on the back you can be rest assured that it's on there and not going anywhere Roof bike rack-  ugh


Yep exactly. We have some expensive bikes so not going to get a cheap rack. Leaning towards 1up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rotorwind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:21 PM #26
Reinout's Avatar
Reinout Reinout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 329
Real Name: Reinout
Reinout will become famous soon enough
Reinout Reinout is offline
Member
Reinout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 329
Real Name: Reinout
Reinout will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwind View Post
Yep exactly. We have some expensive bikes so not going to get a cheap rack. Leaning towards 1up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just going to toss this out to anyone looking at racks.
If you have other cargo management items such as roof boxes, ski racks etc, if you stick with the same brand you can do the same keys for all accessories.

Example: we have 3 vehicles, 1 hitch carrier, 2 roof boxes, 2 roof mount bike racks(for the low car) and 3 sets of tower/bars. They ALL use ONE key so I never have to fumble with which key it is.
__________________
1997 4Runner SR5- ~370k Miles and counting - 5 Speed E-Locker
2007 4Runner Limited V6- 142k Miles - Automatic - Brake Controller.
2011 VW JSW TDI- 104k Miles - 6 Speed - Air Lift 1000
2006 Scamp trailer 16'
Reinout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:20 AM #27
steven350 steven350 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 74
steven350 is on a distinguished road
steven350 steven350 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 74
steven350 is on a distinguished road
anyone here ever racked their bikes on the factory 2019-2020 roof rack?
or can suggest mount/clips for it to be mounted ?
__________________
2020 S/W TRD Pro
steven350 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:12 PM #28
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
rotorwind rotorwind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 92
Real Name: Brandon
rotorwind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven350 View Post
anyone here ever racked their bikes on the factory 2019-2020 roof rack?
or can suggest mount/clips for it to be mounted ?


I bought the Yakima Front loader. It was a nice rack. Couldn’t open rear hatch- May be possible if you move the rails all the way forward. Not much clearance from the bottom of the rack to the roof but it worked. Just couldn’t get the bike up there easily so I returned it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rotorwind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:02 PM #29
mistervague mistervague is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NorCal
Posts: 66
mistervague will become famous soon enough
mistervague mistervague is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NorCal
Posts: 66
mistervague will become famous soon enough
I use a Yakima holdup hitch rack, with the extender so it holds a total of 4 bikes. The whole thing folds up against the car when not in use but probably weighs well over 100lbs and is quite unwieldy to install / remove / manipulate. Plus, it sticks our really, really far. (Gotta be careful not to scrape when backing down things such as . . . I dunno . . . my own driveway, oops . . .)

I attach a flag to it when I have the extender on. It’s also super pricey, but I got a pro deal so it wasn’t as awful.

So there are some cons, but it is super solid, easy to get the bikes on and off of, and holds just about any kind of bike snugly without them banging into each other.

One other thing I added: a gnarly Kryptonite “noose” style chain and “New York” lock. Because I like my bikes.
__________________
2019 TRD Pro
mistervague is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:44 PM #30
Chevrolegs Chevrolegs is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: California
Posts: 21
Chevrolegs is on a distinguished road
Chevrolegs Chevrolegs is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: California
Posts: 21
Chevrolegs is on a distinguished road
If you’re interested in getting a new rack I think a Thule T2 with the two bike add on would be solid. If not, get some side steps installed so you can get up closer to the car when you throw it up too.
Chevrolegs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bike , bikes , hitch , rack , roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike Security Lock on Hitch Rack or roof rack 949r6 Off Topic 6 05-12-2018 10:29 AM
WTB-bike rack for stock roof rack 01KY4R Want to Buy/Trade 0 02-10-2013 11:01 AM
Roof/Bike Rack? flynnstone 5th gen T4Rs 14 12-17-2012 10:19 PM
Bike rack rails for factory roof rack? Jimi900 3rd gen T4Rs 7 08-02-2011 05:15 PM
Bike rack on roof Claff 5th gen T4Rs 18 03-24-2011 12:02 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020