User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 01:44 PM #16
SurferUK's Avatar
SurferUK SurferUK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: South East UK
Posts: 353
SurferUK will become famous soon enough SurferUK will become famous soon enough
SurferUK SurferUK is offline
Member
SurferUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: South East UK
Posts: 353
SurferUK will become famous soon enough SurferUK will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
I had my Jeep Liberty for 11 years, and while the hard plastic dashboard didn't crack (or any other plastic), if it did crack, I wouldn't have given a hoot.
You are a far more tolerant buyer of an expensive vehicle than I am! In fact (And I appreciate I am the minority) a quality vehicle would have a metal dashboard. No chance of that cracking/fading/warping unless you fire it into the sun.

Of course, we got sold the cheaper alternative as 'luxurious premium'
__________________
2007 4.0 V6 - Jap import in the UK
SurferUK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:01 PM #17
Gamma Ray's Avatar
Gamma Ray Gamma Ray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice
Gamma Ray Gamma Ray is offline
Member
Gamma Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferUK View Post
You are a far more tolerant buyer of an expensive vehicle than I am! In fact (And I appreciate I am the minority) a quality vehicle would have a metal dashboard. No chance of that cracking/fading/warping unless you fire it into the sun.

Of course, we got sold the cheaper alternative as 'luxurious premium'
Well, I could stand to clarify my stance a bit. I would be upset if it cracked within the first few years of ownership, but by year 10 I didn't care. I cared about whether or not the thing ran. By year 11, I had enough of it not running. But that dashboard was still immaculate!
Gamma Ray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:47 PM #18
Jetboy's Avatar
Jetboy Jetboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,661
Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Jetboy Jetboy is offline
Senior Member
Jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,661
Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Hate to bear the bad news...


The Taco looks like a production ready actual vehicle. The FJ Cruiser looking CUV is I think CGI. Toyota concepts usually are functional vehicles. This one is obviously not if you look close. For starters the rear door is a normal full door - so that' a huge upgrade from the suicide half door nonsense from the FJ Cruiser. But you can see that it can't be functional given the fender and no break for the door to open. Also - the rear quarter sort of disappears into space.
Attached Images
For those who want to see the FJ come back-toyota-compact-cruiser-ev-concept-fj-2-1-2-_li-jpg 

Last edited by Jetboy; 12-14-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Jetboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:21 PM #19
Gamma Ray's Avatar
Gamma Ray Gamma Ray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice
Gamma Ray Gamma Ray is offline
Member
Gamma Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
Hate to bear the bad news...


The Taco looks like a production ready actual vehicle. The FJ Cruiser looking CUV is I think CGI. Toyota concepts usually are functional vehicles. This one is obviously not if you look close. For starters the rear door is a normal full door - so that' a huge upgrade from the suicide half door nonsense from the FJ Cruiser. But you can see that it can't be functional given the fender and no break for the door to open. Also - the rear quarter sort of disappears into space.
I'd hit it. I'd prefer to see it with bigger tires, though.
Gamma Ray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:43 PM #20
Jetboy's Avatar
Jetboy Jetboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,661
Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Jetboy Jetboy is offline
Senior Member
Jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,661
Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
I'd hit it. I'd prefer to see it with bigger tires, though.
I like the styling for what it is. But it looks a lot more bronco sport than bronco. I want a Bronco.
Jetboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:20 PM #21
mtn_climber's Avatar
mtn_climber mtn_climber is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Washington, DC...sadly
Posts: 36
mtn_climber is on a distinguished road
mtn_climber mtn_climber is offline
Member
mtn_climber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Washington, DC...sadly
Posts: 36
mtn_climber is on a distinguished road
New pictures of the Cruiser EV

Reviving an old thread.

Toyota Compact Cruiser EV Looks Fantastic in New Photos

While pictures are one thing, and bringing an entirely new vehicle to market a far different endeavor, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cruiser EV come to fruition.

I wonder if @Carmaker1 or any of you other sleuths/connected folks have more insight.
__________________
2016 Magnetic Grey TE
1998 Green SR5 4WD - Sold
mtn_climber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 PM #22
fourwd1's Avatar
fourwd1 fourwd1 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the Socialist State of Maryland
Posts: 11,036
Real Name: Soylent Green sales
fourwd1 has a spectacular aura about fourwd1 has a spectacular aura about fourwd1 has a spectacular aura about
fourwd1 fourwd1 is offline
Moderator
fourwd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the Socialist State of Maryland
Posts: 11,036
Real Name: Soylent Green sales
fourwd1 has a spectacular aura about fourwd1 has a spectacular aura about fourwd1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_climber View Post
Reviving an old thread.
I wish you hadn't, that's fugly.
__________________
- the Internet - the mother-ship of people who don't know much and aren't afraid to go public
'84 4Runner - ARBed 5.29s F&R, 4.7 & 2.28 t-cases, 2" drive train lift, BudBuilt x-member/skid, 30 spl Longs
'83 Toy P/U - Buick 231 V6, Holley 4 bbl, Weiand intake, Downey headers, TH350 w/700R4 low gearset,
'89 4Runner SR5 - stock
fourwd1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:03 AM #23
KSJ088 KSJ088 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Eastern,Pa.
Posts: 127
KSJ088 will become famous soon enough
KSJ088 KSJ088 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Eastern,Pa.
Posts: 127
KSJ088 will become famous soon enough
I had 2008 & 2012 and would've bought a 2015 instead on Tacoma BUT they weren't importing them here. I loved my 2 . I don't need or want a true 4 door. The 4Runner has grown on me BUT if they bring back the FJ I will most likely get one when my 4Runner hits 80k mi.
__________________
Take Off You Hoser
Boston Bruins #1 2018 TRD OR Super White, Few Mods: Tinted Frt windows,Eibachs Set @ 0.85 up Frt, , Cooper Discoverer ST/MAXX 275/70/17 Interior LED's, H9 Lo Beams, Anytime LED Fog lights, Led Backup lights, CF overlays above Glove Box, Steering Wheel & all Door Control Panels to match OEM CF Center Console, Pro Grill, Fangs, Bruins on Startup Screen.
KSJ088 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:59 AM #24
RichinRidgewood's Avatar
RichinRidgewood RichinRidgewood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,598
RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold
RichinRidgewood RichinRidgewood is offline
Senior Member
RichinRidgewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,598
RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold RichinRidgewood is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 4ever Runner View Post

I frequently poop things that look better than this "FJ"
__________________
2020 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4
Barcelona Red, Graphite/Grey
Sunroof
RichinRidgewood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:55 PM #25
BlackWorksInc's Avatar
BlackWorksInc BlackWorksInc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 9,904
BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
BlackWorksInc BlackWorksInc is offline
Elite Member
BlackWorksInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 9,904
BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
I'm not a fan of leather seats in general, slightly more tolerant of the faux leather/leatherette style interior touches that some of the newer vehicles have.

But honestly, I would much rather have a "nicer" interior option geared toward "ruggedness" in a more utilitarian oriented vehicle like a 4runner, Tacoma, FJ, etc. For example:

"Rugged Expeditioner Package:"

-Option of water resistant Cordura or Carhart-branded Canvas upholstered fabric seats
-Durable dark grey or black patterned (canvas?) headliner that resists wear and tear from loading and unloading all your gear.
-Strong polymer interior panels with rubber/Softex like material on high wear/high touch areas
-Choose from a selection of optional decorative trim materials such as: Saddle Leather, Anodized or Brushed Aluminum, Cordura, and Softex
-Form Fitting Rubberized replacement for factory carpet designed to limit liquid/debris ingress into body (think grommets for harnesses and overlapped seams so the liquid doesn't seep under and it's much easier to clean.)
-Optional form fit expandable switch panel and weatherizatied secondary undeood fuse block for all your accessories (switches sold with accessories and/or available separately)

That's a "premium" option package I would gladly pay extra for over a "Luxury" oriented one. In my experience the luxury materials don't wear as nicely, last as long, or look as nice as they did in the first couple years. I would rather have "premium rugged materials" in my utilitarian vehicle over fashionista cowboy aesthetic or "Lexus/Mercedes done dirt cheap" that you see in a lot of the higher end trims. You CAN make solid, rugged, and highly durable materials look luxurious, quality, and not compromise the interior durability of a vehicle used for actual work and play. It costs more and needs the right design, but as a "premium" package oriented towards people who want a nice look but durable function I think it can work.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:39 PM #26
SurferUK's Avatar
SurferUK SurferUK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: South East UK
Posts: 353
SurferUK will become famous soon enough SurferUK will become famous soon enough
SurferUK SurferUK is offline
Member
SurferUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: South East UK
Posts: 353
SurferUK will become famous soon enough SurferUK will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_climber View Post
Reviving an old thread.

Toyota Compact Cruiser EV Looks Fantastic in New Photos

While pictures are one thing, and bringing an entirely new vehicle to market a far different endeavor, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cruiser EV come to fruition.

I wonder if @Carmaker1 or any of you other sleuths/connected folks have more insight.

I used to drive something very similar!















__________________
2007 4.0 V6 - Jap import in the UK
SurferUK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:51 PM #27
Gamma Ray's Avatar
Gamma Ray Gamma Ray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice
Gamma Ray Gamma Ray is offline
Member
Gamma Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc View Post
I'm not a fan of leather seats in general, slightly more tolerant of the faux leather/leatherette style interior touches that some of the newer vehicles have.

But honestly, I would much rather have a "nicer" interior option geared toward "ruggedness" in a more utilitarian oriented vehicle like a 4runner, Tacoma, FJ, etc. For example:

"Rugged Expeditioner Package:"

-Option of water resistant Cordura or Carhart-branded Canvas upholstered fabric seats
-Durable dark grey or black patterned (canvas?) headliner that resists wear and tear from loading and unloading all your gear.
-Strong polymer interior panels with rubber/Softex like material on high wear/high touch areas
-Choose from a selection of optional decorative trim materials such as: Saddle Leather, Anodized or Brushed Aluminum, Cordura, and Softex
-Form Fitting Rubberized replacement for factory carpet designed to limit liquid/debris ingress into body (think grommets for harnesses and overlapped seams so the liquid doesn't seep under and it's much easier to clean.)
-Optional form fit expandable switch panel and weatherizatied secondary undeood fuse block for all your accessories (switches sold with accessories and/or available separately)

That's a "premium" option package I would gladly pay extra for over a "Luxury" oriented one. In my experience the luxury materials don't wear as nicely, last as long, or look as nice as they did in the first couple years. I would rather have "premium rugged materials" in my utilitarian vehicle over fashionista cowboy aesthetic or "Lexus/Mercedes done dirt cheap" that you see in a lot of the higher end trims. You CAN make solid, rugged, and highly durable materials look luxurious, quality, and not compromise the interior durability of a vehicle used for actual work and play. It costs more and needs the right design, but as a "premium" package oriented towards people who want a nice look but durable function I think it can work.
Or you could just have nonluxurious rugged materials that cost less, last longer, and most importantly COST LESS!!!!! Seriously! Car culture is weird! I didn't care about luxury this, luxury that when I was a kid and wanted a badass car. I wanted a badass car! Nowadays everyone's all like "so I have this BMW that's practically a race car, but I also have all these ways the car can tickle my prostate while I'm wrapped in luxurious alcantara and soothed by the sounds of nature booming out of my JBL sound system" and I'm like "did you realize that there was weed in those brownies?" Tough dudes talking about how bling their car is and trying to outbling everybody else's bling. Makes me sick. I bet stereotypical mean girls aren't this superficial.
Gamma Ray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:57 PM #28
BlackWorksInc's Avatar
BlackWorksInc BlackWorksInc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 9,904
BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
BlackWorksInc BlackWorksInc is offline
Elite Member
BlackWorksInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 9,904
BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
Or you could just have nonluxurious rugged materials that cost less, last longer, and most importantly COST LESS!!!!! Seriously! Car culture is weird! I didn't care about luxury this, luxury that when I was a kid and wanted a badass car. I wanted a badass car! Nowadays everyone's all like "so I have this BMW that's practically a race car, but I also have all these ways the car can tickle my prostate while I'm wrapped in luxurious alcantara and soothed by the sounds of nature booming out of my JBL sound system" and I'm like "did you realize that there was weed in those brownies?" Tough dudes talking about how bling their car is and trying to outbling everybody else's bling. Makes me sick. I bet stereotypical mean girls aren't this superficial.
Thing is they'd have to go out of their way to make separate molds, pull different materials and such to make your "plain jane" version because most people wouldn't want it. Not everyone wants a U-Haul Truck interior as functional as it is; so in today's environment is ends up costing them more to make it that different. That's why I was saying that if they're gonna go out of their way to make a more rugged interior they can tailor it as a premium option with actual good materials that look nice (it doesn't have to be blingy is my point with my proposed trim package, but it looks nice and functions).

Otherwise your best bet is to just plasti-dip your inside and use some rubber sheeting here and there... : /
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:39 AM #29
Gamma Ray's Avatar
Gamma Ray Gamma Ray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice
Gamma Ray Gamma Ray is offline
Member
Gamma Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice Gamma Ray is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc View Post
Thing is they'd have to go out of their way to make separate molds, pull different materials and such to make your "plain jane" version because most people wouldn't want it. Not everyone wants a U-Haul Truck interior as functional as it is; so in today's environment is ends up costing them more to make it that different. That's why I was saying that if they're gonna go out of their way to make a more rugged interior they can tailor it as a premium option with actual good materials that look nice (it doesn't have to be blingy is my point with my proposed trim package, but it looks nice and functions).

Otherwise your best bet is to just plasti-dip your inside and use some rubber sheeting here and there... : /
The Maverick seems to be taking off with its less luxurious than average interior. I'd go even less luxurious than that, but still.
Gamma Ray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:42 AM #30
mtn_climber's Avatar
mtn_climber mtn_climber is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Washington, DC...sadly
Posts: 36
mtn_climber is on a distinguished road
mtn_climber mtn_climber is offline
Member
mtn_climber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Washington, DC...sadly
Posts: 36
mtn_climber is on a distinguished road
I agree that the styling is kinda...well...interesting and kinda looks like the new Defender. The color scheme doesn't help.

That said, and the range limitations not withstanding, I still wouldn't mind seeing a true off-road capable EV running around.
__________________
2016 Magnetic Grey TE
1998 Green SR5 4WD - Sold
mtn_climber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
back

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1996 4runner back wiper and back window switch not working ertmann 3rd gen T4Rs 5 02-02-2018 02:00 AM
need help hooking up aux back up light relay, which wire powers the back up lights? keakar 4th Gen T4Rs 24 01-29-2018 05:08 PM
T4R 1996 back window and back wiper help Paramedic 3rd gen T4Rs 4 04-10-2016 01:48 PM
Back to back Toytech vs xreas drive 03_4x4Runner 5th gen T4Rs 21 04-21-2015 11:08 AM
Back light on top of back window shield billsauce 3rd gen T4Rs 10 12-17-2012 11:06 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020