Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Long distance travels - Maintenance (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/313441-long-distance-travels-maintenance.html)

JettyHopper 03-01-2024 11:33 PM

Long distance travels - Maintenance

Hey wanted to see what everyones doing BEFORE & AFTER LONG TRAVELS (1000 plus total miles) on your 5th gen!

Here's my checklist;

Before

- Tire wear
- Tire pressure
- Brake wear
- Engine Oil
- Diff oil
- Air filter
- Spare tire check

After

- Change my engine oil
- Change diff oil
- Air filter
- Check brake wear.
- Rotate tires

Argyle Edison 03-02-2024 01:37 AM

Put gas in car. Drive

kenwilliams0803 03-02-2024 08:16 AM

Before Check:

Tire pressure

Oil

Coolant

Battery terminals

Belt

PS fluid

Fill washer fluid

That's it. I know my diffs, T-case and trans are always full and clean and I always know the status of my brakes. I also grease driveshafts every other oil change. Filters are done every 20k or so. Spare gets checked yearly. I do nothing after the trip.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

fkheath 03-02-2024 10:55 AM

Follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. If you are towing a trailer, driving at high speeds, or serious off road, use the severe service schedule.

If a needed service comes up while traveling, go to the local Toyota dealer and get it done; don't put it off.

patkelly4370 03-02-2024 01:16 PM

1,000 miles is far?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

CutthroatSlam 03-02-2024 09:24 PM

Our 4Runners are regularly going back and forth between Southern California and Montana homes, which is 1200+ miles each way. On average they’re doing this up to twice a month. We just follow regular maintenance.

Ezlife45 03-02-2024 11:11 PM

Changing oil after a 1000 mile trip is a little excessive. Highway miles are about the easiest on the engine. And diffs are generally only oil. Follow regular maintenance as stated. If you're nervous and would exceed scheduled maintenance on the trip, pull it in early. I do mine every 5K and tranny every 50. Probably will let rear end go 100.

But hey, if it gives you peace of mind and you're doing the fluid changes instead of Bubba, then go for it.

4skrunner 03-03-2024 04:11 PM

I usually just top off my tires and fill up on washer fluid. Maybe clean the inside out. I won’t do an oil change specifically for a road trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greydog 03-05-2024 12:06 PM

Brakes: I would perhaps bleed the calipers to get some fresh fluid in, if not done in last 6 months.

Engine Oil: if close-ish to your interval, do it pre-trip.

Diffs: same as engine oil, if close c9nsider pre-trip. Kind of depends on how hard you’ll be using the truck for those 1k miles. Ideally you’ve already changed front and rear diff oil once already?

Trans: I do 40-50k drain and fills, I don’t consider it lifetime. Not flushes, just drain and fills.

Spare tire: yes check air, also test out that you can lower it, make sure the mechanism is not rusted in there.

Coolant: top off the expansion tank. If you have never drained the rad and block, perhaps drain those if it’s been in for a few years, just as good preventive maintenance, but not needed until 100k per Toyota. Personally, I do mine every 50k, with long term water pump and head gaskets in mind.

Light bulbs: check the external lights?

Wiper blades: old blades suck

Serpentine belt: if your over 100k, have you changed this yet? Might not hurt to do that now.

Hope that helps 👍

02SE 03-05-2024 08:26 PM

I drove 1000+ miles roundtrip last weekend. To go take a look at a car I might buy. 1000 miles isn't a big deal.

I'd check the tires for wear and pressure, but wouldn't worry about doing any major maintenance just for such a trip. If you're due for an oil change, sure do it beforehand if you want. Cruising down the highway are the easiest miles for any vehicle.