Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Spare tire carrier options.... (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/313837-spare-tire-carrier-options.html)

TRDHULK 04-18-2024 02:08 PM

Spare tire carrier options....

From what I can find, I don't care for any of the options out there.

I cant fit a 35" spare in the OEM location.

I'd prefer not to cut a hole in my rear bumper.

Most of the hitch mounted carriers I've seen don't sit very close to the body and look like an after thought.

I also don't see many options with a decent rear camera relocation kit.

What is everyone's spare tire carrier solution?

comtn4x4 04-18-2024 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDHULK (Post 3834894)

Most of the hitch mounted carriers I've seen don't sit very close to the body and look like an after thought.

Full replacement bumper with swing outs

///AIRDAM 04-18-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDHULK (Post 3834894)

You only have a few options:

1) cut to fit, you can "squeeze" a 33" in there but its touching the forward hangers and the trailer hitch, if you want to fit a 35 you are likely going to have to notch the trailer hitch and cut the little hangers off the front near the rear end as well or its just not gonna fit unless it hangs WAY down. I have our 305/50-20 spare under ours and it is SNUG and it hangs way down past the hitch. I have a 285/60-18 (31.6x11.2) on my 4th gen which seems like it fits much better, i bet you could swing a 34ish under a 4th gen, but the 5th gen is tight tight with that 305/50-20 (32.3x12.1)

2) put it on the roof and show it off and hope you dont ever have to pull it down.

3) go old'school early 90s suburban and put it in the back against the rear side glass, a 35x12.50 is going to take up a ton of room but it will fit, i just measured.

4) the tire swing outs will allow you to fit whatever you want, but it will impact the look of the vehicle tremendously. Do not recommend.

chrisridebike8 04-18-2024 02:51 PM

I have the Rigd Ultraswing. It's well built but I smack it on the ground everywhere. It's annoying. If I could do it again, I would get the Dissent swingout. It can transfer to their high clearance bumper later on if you want to upgrade. I'd just get a Dissent rear bumper now. It's well built, high clearance, and the latch mechanism makes it the least painful in day to day use. And if you end up not liking having a swingout for a daily (understandable) you can remove it when you don't need it

TRDHULK 04-18-2024 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comtn4x4 (Post 3834897)
Full replacement bumper with swing outs

That is a solution, but that is not what I want to do. Not the look I'm going for with my 4Runner.

I do like the Nguyen Works high clearance rear bumper, but I use my hitch way too often to live without one. The OEM hitch crossmember shows way too much with the high clearance bumper and looks like booty. Plus this requires cutting up the rear bumper which I am trying to avoid for now.

TRDHULK 04-18-2024 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///AIRDAM (Post 3834902)
You only have a few options:

1) cut to fit, you can "squeeze" a 33" in there but its touching the forward hangers and the trailer hitch, if you want to fit a 35 you are likely going to have to notch the trailer hitch and cut the little hangers off the front near the rear end as well or its just not gonna fit unless it hangs WAY down. I have our 305/50-20 spare under ours and it is SNUG and it hangs way down past the hitch. I have a 285/60-18 (31.6x11.2) on my 4th gen which seems like it fits much better, i bet you could swing a 34ish under a 4th gen, but the 5th gen is tight tight with that 305/50-20 (32.3x12.1)

2) put it on the roof and show it off and hope you dont ever have to pull it down.

3) go old'school early 90s suburban and put it in the back against the rear side glass, a 35x12.50 is going to take up a ton of room but it will fit, i just measured.

4) the tire swing outs will allow you to fit whatever you want, but it will impact the look of the vehicle tremendously. Do not recommend.

Thanks for the reply!

1. I'm going to look into this, but ultimately even if I can find a way for it to fit in OEM location, it will hang way low and hurt departure angles a lot.

2. Wont be able to fit it my garage. I beat on it but at the end of the day its a garage queen lol.

3. This is a decent solution, but seems unsafe, unless there's a cool mounting solution I have not seen yet. The old Excursions were done this way. Not a bad idea, but would be unsafe unless properly mounted, which sounds like some screwing into the floor may be required.

4. I'm sure this is the route I will have to go, but just have not found a solution I like. I want it snug to the lift gate. I want a rear camera relocate that actually works well. I don't want it to look like an after thought. I might be SOL :cry:

TRDHULK 04-18-2024 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 3834903)
I have the Rigd Ultraswing. It's well built but I smack it on the ground everywhere. It's annoying. If I could do it again, I would get the Dissent swingout. It can transfer to their high clearance bumper later on if you want to upgrade. I'd just get a Dissent rear bumper now. It's well built, high clearance, and the latch mechanism makes it the least painful in day to day use. And if you end up not liking having a swingout for a daily (understandable) you can remove it when you don't need it

Thanks for the feedback on the Rigd unit. That is one I considered, but I was worried about scraping it off road. It also sits farrr from the liftgate.

Are you saying Dissent offers a swing out without using the whole aftermarket rear bumper? I don't see it on their site.

MasterFoo 04-18-2024 03:12 PM

I use the southern style offroad. It is an authorized copy of the ctnewman. It sits closet to the hatch. I only use it when I take risky trips, otherwise I dont carry a spare.

91foxbody 04-18-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDHULK (Post 3834909)
Thanks for the feedback on the Rigd unit. That is one I considered, but I was worried about scraping it off road. It also sits farrr from the liftgate.

Are you saying Dissent offers a swing out without using the whole aftermarket rear bumper? I don't see it on their site.

Modular Hitch Mounted Tire/Accessory Carrier (Dual Swing)
– Dissent Off-road

Modular Hitch Mounted Tire Carrier (Single Swing)
– Dissent Off-road

TRDHULK 04-18-2024 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterFoo (Post 3834910)
I use the southern style offroad. It is an authorized copy of the ctnewman. It sits closet to the hatch. I only use it when I take risky trips, otherwise I dont carry a spare.

Shows to be out of stock everywhere. So far this was my favorite swing out option but no one has it for sale.

TRDHULK 04-18-2024 04:31 PM

Thank you. I don't hate it, but man is it chunky lol

comtn4x4 04-18-2024 04:34 PM

I feel your pain. I didn't think I was going to do a rear bumper either till I moved to tires that wouldn't fit underneath anymore. And I was dragging my spare and the rear bumper cover. (I ran an undersized spare for awhile, if you don't flat much you could consider stuffing a skinny 34" tire underneath.)

Now that I've had it 5 years I love it and couldn't imagine not having it. Much better storage for propane, fuel, water, hi-lift, traction boards, trash etc. And honestly dragging a 90# spare from underneath and shoving the flat one back under in off road conditions sucks.

I can't even imagine the nightmare of having my spare on my roof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDHULK (Post 3834905)
That is a solution, but that is not what I want to do. Not the look I'm going for with my 4Runner.

I do like the Nguyen Works high clearance rear bumper, but I use my hitch way too often to live without one. The OEM hitch crossmember shows way too much with the high clearance bumper and looks like booty. Plus this requires cutting up the rear bumper which I am trying to avoid for now.

TRDHULK 04-18-2024 04:44 PM

Here is my personal favorite so far, but NO ONE SELLS IT!!??

It says its from Detours Knucklebone, but I don't see where to buy it from, if anyone knows please lmk

https://i.imgur.com/thMDAcG.jpg

This is my 2nd favorite, from Eighty Percent Off Road, but it requires cutting the bumper, which I prefer not to do. This one sits the cleanest on the 4Runner IMO

https://i.imgur.com/1igNzvo.jpg

I also like this one from Restless Off Road Fabrication, but also requires cutting the bumper.

https://i.imgur.com/Ls09t4E.jpg

I don't mind this one; Southern Style Off Road, but EVERYONE is out of stock!

https://i.imgur.com/i84mx5z.jpg

Now you can see my frustration lol. Either no longer sold, out of stock, or requires cutting :mad:

MasterFoo 04-18-2024 04:45 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe they are made to order. iirc, when I ordered mine, it was also out of stock. It took about 8 weeks and was delivered by UPS.
I would contact them if you're going that route.

TRDHULK 04-18-2024 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comtn4x4 (Post 3834918)
I feel your pain. I didn't think I was going to do a rear bumper either till I moved to tires that wouldn't fit underneath anymore. And I was dragging my spare and the rear bumper cover. (I ran an undersized spare for awhile, if you don't flat much you could consider stuffing a skinny 34" tire underneath.)

Now that I've had it 5 years I love it and couldn't imagine not having it. Much better storage for propane, fuel, water, hi-lift, traction boards, trash etc. And honestly dragging a 90# spare from underneath and shoving the flat one back under in off road conditions sucks.

I can't even imagine the nightmare of having my spare on my roof.

I'm sure this will be the boat I am in soon. I just don't want a big heavy bumper yet. I like my OEM+ look