Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Shocks & Struts Advice (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/312719-shocks-struts-advice.html)

fxoffroad 12-15-2023 08:16 PM

Shocks & Struts Advice

Need some advise...

I have a stock 2020 Limited w/ 55,000 miles. Should I replace the shocks/struts/mounts now? The vehicle feels fine... I'm getting what seems like more feedback over bumps/potholes than I used to.

If I do swamp them out, will the vehicle feel more solid over bumps and potholes?

Humble Leader 12-18-2023 09:54 AM

if the shocks are fine why would you replace them - unless you don't like the ride. bilstein 5100s are said to feel similar to the XREAS which you have in your stock limited. what is your end goal with the vehicle? daily drive, pavement/some mild/moderate offroading, or build for offroad performance

02SE 12-18-2023 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxoffroad (Post 3822539)
Need some advise...

I have a stock 2020 Limited w/ 55,000 miles. Should I replace the shocks/struts/mounts now? The vehicle feels fine... I'm getting what seems like more feedback over bumps/potholes than I used to.

If I do swamp them out, will the vehicle feel more solid over bumps and potholes?

What are your tires inflated to? Over-inflation can cause what you described.

Also if the tires were replaced with a tire of stronger construction, that could be the cause.

fxoffroad 02-19-2024 11:45 PM

I have Defender LTX M/S2 now, which replaced Dueler H/Ts. Inflation is probably at the recommended pressure- 38 or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02SE (Post 3822771)
What are your tires inflated to? Over-inflation can cause what you described.

Also if the tires were replaced with a tire of stronger construction, that could be the cause.

02SE 02-20-2024 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxoffroad (Post 3829589)
I have Defender LTX M/S2 now, which replaced Dueler H/Ts. Inflation is probably at the recommended pressure- 38 or so.

That could be your problem. Toyota recommends 32 psi in the stock size, P-rated tires.

osugsxr 02-20-2024 08:00 AM

if its that bad you can probably be the first to retro fit the tacoma trd pro seat in a 4runner.