Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Key Stuck in Ignition (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/311699-key-stuck-ignition.html)

WrenchTech 08-28-2023 02:53 PM

Key Stuck in Ignition

The key will not come out of the ignition lock cylinder, and it won’t turn all the way to the locking position on a friend’s 2002 SR5 Sport Edition. The auto transmission shifter recently developed some problems are they related? Does the shifter need to be in park for the key to be released? On my 99 SR5 The key comes out, anytime, running, in drive, it doesn’t matter. I’m thinking maybe that’s not normal. So I don’t know what the normal condition is for my friend’s 2002. Any ideas?

ninethings 08-28-2023 03:16 PM

it needs to be in park. Is the wheel locked? Sometimes have to pull one way or another on the wheel to free up the lock cylinder

shadow247 08-28-2023 05:06 PM

Try having him put the shifter in neutral, start the truck, and then try to put it back in park. Then he needs to push forward on the shifter while turning the key. If his shifter is super loose, it's likely his bushings. If it's nice and tight, then it's probably the Park switch.

Twisted Sid 08-28-2023 05:23 PM

Your '99 releasing the key at anytime, isn't normal.

WrenchTech 08-28-2023 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninethings (Post 3810051)
it needs to be in park. Is the wheel locked? Sometimes have to pull one way or another on the wheel to free up the lock cylinder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow247 (Post 3810051)
Try having him put the shifter in neutral, start the truck, and then try to put it back in park. Then he needs to push forward on the shifter while turning the key. If his shifter is super loose, it's likely his bushings. If it's nice and tight, then it's probably the Park switch.

It’s the shifter most likely. It got damaged recently and now it’s pretty loose.

Brutus H 08-30-2023 08:09 AM

Mine does that too. I usually just turn the key back on then move my shifter, which is very loose, back and forth, maybe a couple times till it come out. Until it becomes a real problem, I'm not planning on fixing it.

prybar 08-30-2023 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Sid (Post 3810069)
Your '99 releasing the key at anytime, isn't normal.

Yes, not "normal" from factory, but it's a normal thing that happens with time (at least on these Toyotas). Mine does it, my buddy's does it, and so does his 20 year-old Camry. I actually love being able to take the key out while it's running, it's a pretty handy "failure."

WrenchTech 08-30-2023 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus H (Post 3810227)
Mine does that too. I usually just turn the key back on then move my shifter, which is very loose, back and forth, maybe a couple times till it come out. Until it becomes a real problem, I'm not planning on fixing it.

Thanks. That’s what we are doing right now too.

There is a self-serve wrecking yard near us that has a 2002. We will go over there and see if we can get the parts that we need.

JBurt 09-01-2023 01:12 AM

You probably definitely need to replace your shifter bushings. They are cheap. Here's a thread with part numbers and a write up:

Loose Shifter? - Replace your shifter bushings! - Write up with pictures

mtbtim 09-01-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBurt (Post 3810417)
You probably definitely need to replace your shifter bushings. They are cheap. Here's a thread with part numbers and a write up:

Loose Shifter? - Replace your shifter bushings! - Write up with pictures

I've got something better than a write-up. Even though write-ups are super helpful, their limitation is they are 2-dimensional. I'll take a 3-dimensional video over a write-up any day. But, I am a bit biased since I run a YouTube channel. I actually used the write-up you linked as research to make the video below. The bonus with my video is I also include how to replace the transfer case shifter bushing.

But, Ramon makes good write-ups, and if you're into write-ups, his is a good one to use.

OP, the fact you can't get out of park is definitely related to the shifter. I just had this issue with my 98 3rd Gen and new shifter bushings fixed the issue.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gCHSRcq-LP8?si=ImeqS4nlShWIy_C9" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jakeepoo3 09-01-2023 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninethings (Post 3810051)

Yep mine does this sometimes. No big deal.