Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Stock tire wear? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/281086-stock-tire-wear.html)

el_kab0ng 12-24-2019 07:52 PM

Stock tire wear?

On the stock tires that ship with the T4R, what's the expected tire wear in terms of mileage should one expect to get? I know there are alot of factors involved, so I was curious what people are seeing based on your usage.

My 2016 T4RTE has about 38k miles on it and the front tires are looking more worn than I would have expected out of a road going vehicle (i.e. very little 4WD usage per month).

lyodbraun 12-24-2019 10:01 PM

All depends on how much you rotate them ? Not sure if they have a mileage warranty or not ? I know mine were fairly worn after 19k wife’s stock tires that came on her highlander only lasted 15k they use the cheapest tires they can on these expensive vehicles...

thennen 12-24-2019 10:50 PM

You and I are close on our mileage - I have 36k on my 2019 with factory Dunlops. I have mine rotated about every 5k per the maintenance recommendations, and I'm guessing I have another 20k-25k left in them. So they seem to be wearing well in my case.

ElectroBoy 12-25-2019 12:15 AM

The expected wear and performance depends on the actual tire. There are several different tires brands supplied as original equipment. On my 2018 the OE tires were Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II. They worked well on dry pavement but not so well on wet roads and gravel. I got rid of them at 20 K.
My experience pretty much matched the review on Tire Reviews and More.
Car/Truck/SUV Tire Reviews - Tire Reviews and More

mteolus 12-25-2019 12:44 AM

I got 30k out of mine. Three of them that is. 1 was defective and had to be replaced at 22k. Ugly too for a 4 Runner. Fairly smooth for about 20k, that is the only good thing I can say about them. Toyota should be ashamed putting these on any 4Runner. 4Runner weight is too much for them. Maybe it was on purpose to try and get the vehicle to 20 mpg highway.

Samer327 12-25-2019 02:21 AM

OEM tires the main goal is to have fuel efficiency. Traction and wet traction are probably secondary and wear performance is usually down on the list. Total mileage is dependent on too many factors to have an estimated life but I would guess if you’re over 30k you’re doing pretty good.

Mark4runnar 12-25-2019 11:56 AM

4runner tires

I have 2 2015 4 runners.
LTD came with Geolanders------they lasted 75k and were still in good shape, but with new england winter around the corner, I decided to replace them.
The trail premium came with bridgstone duelers--------------total crap,30k and they need to be replaced. It's a real disappointment.
I have Landcuisers that go 70k+ on OEM tires, so I expected to have the same life span, but Toyota must have made the tire decision on the Trail based on gas mileage as suggested by others?

el_kab0ng 12-25-2019 12:38 PM

Thanks for the insight, guys. It looks like what I'm seeing is about average for the factory tires based on the comments. I have plans to retire them and replace with AT tires for some upcoming trips anyway, so it works out nicely.

nglayton 12-28-2019 01:40 AM

I got 60K out of mine, rotated every 10k, plus an extra time or two.

Couldn't wait to get something different but wasn't about to drop second load of cash on it while i had usable rubber already installed.