Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Mix & Match Shocks (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/313620-mix-match-shocks.html)

jonb2 03-22-2024 11:50 AM

Mix & Match Shocks

Hello. 2007 4runner 2wd V6. Thinking about adjustable monotube shocks in front and twin tube shocks in the rear. Vehicle light in back as I carry no gear and no aftermarket accessories. Vehicle is used 95% for commuting and not much offroad. Probably Dobinsons or maybe Eibach suspension.

Any thoughts on this setup for using monoshock in front (so I can adjust height) and twin tube in rear (better ride quality)?

Thanks!

aemravan 03-22-2024 01:18 PM

obviously not the exact shock setup/application on mine.. but I haven't had a matched set of shocks on mine in forever.. shocks are shocks.. as long as they are right for the application, ship it.

I'm currently running the ironman 4x4 front shocks with Dobinsons LT rear shocks, completely different set of springs from OME as well.. went through 5 iterations of suspension setup to get it where I needed it but now it's perfect for what I was looking for.

stevelikesrhino 03-23-2024 03:13 AM

I mean it will work, but it's not like monotube just equals "harsh-ride". As much as shocks can play a big part in harshness, I believe if you keep the factory rear springs (which are pretty soft) you'll still get great ride with some monotubes that are tuned for stock springs. I still recommend a matched set of shocks just because most are tuned to work as a set (unless it's some real shitty shocks that don't even try to match OEM shock curve).

jonb2 03-23-2024 03:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking Dobinsons rear springs for slight lift/twin tube and Dobinsons front lift springs/monotube. It's a different combo but they're all the same brand ??

stevelikesrhino 03-24-2024 06:15 PM

All dobinson rear springs are at least 20% stiffer than stock (180lb/in stock vs 220lb/in minimum from dobinson). This will make your ride a bit harsher, but will improve handling. However in terms of aftermarket springs their spring rate is already on the low side, OME's springs are 260lb/in minimum. I believe only Bilstein, wheeler, eibach makes springs with close to stock spring rates, but they usually provide more lift. So there's not many options for slight lift springs with similar spring rate. You might actually want to look for spacers or FJ cruiser springs.