Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Starter Grind (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294549-starter-grind.html)

Chilow 02-02-2021 11:20 AM

Starter Grind

Is there a how-to-guide on inspecting/replacing the starter on the 5th gen? Recently, I noticed an intermittent grinding noise when I start the car. Usually only happens during a cold start after sitting outside overnight.

Some forum members have suggested looking into the starter/flywheel, but I wasn't able to find any pictures or instructions specific to the 5th gen. Most of my search results came back for the 3rd gen.

Jeremy556 02-02-2021 12:01 PM

It's on the drivers side at the front of the transmission. You can see it through the wheel well. Easiest to access through the wheel well and from underneath, its held on with 2 or 3 bolts. It's the same as a 4th gen (which there are youtube videos), but a little less room to work with behind the exhaust.

Chilow 02-02-2021 12:29 PM

Thank you! Would I be visually able to inspect it to confirm it's a starter issue? Since I'm troubleshooting a grinding noise, I was thinking I should look at the gears on the starter. Is this visible? I'll take a look at some YouTube videos for the 4th gen for now.

spartacus 02-02-2021 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Chilow;3599249]Is there a how-to-guide on inspecting/replacing the starter on the 5th gen? Recently, I noticed an intermittent grinding noise when I start the car. Usually only happens during a cold start after sitting outside overnight.

Some forum members have suggested looking into the starter/flywheel, but I wasn't able to find any pictures or instructions specific to the 5th gen. Most of my search results came back for the 3rd gen.[/QUOTE

pic, courtesy of @Ducmonsta

spartacus 02-02-2021 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is pic from the fsm.

Chilow 02-02-2021 02:21 PM

Hmm...I'm guessing I should just replace it altogether. Now that I think about it, I noticed the grinding noise one day after I drove through a puddle caused by a rain storm. The puddle was on the passenger side though. Could that cause it?

fkheath 02-02-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilow (Post 3599249)
Is there a how-to-guide on inspecting/replacing the starter on the 5th gen? Recently, I noticed an intermittent grinding noise when I start the car. Usually only happens during a cold start after sitting outside overnight.

Some forum members have suggested looking into the starter/flywheel, but I wasn't able to find any pictures or instructions specific to the 5th gen. Most of my search results came back for the 3rd gen.

Are you sure it is starter grind? A lot of people are having a short valve chatter on startup on cold mornings. Read through this thread:
Clank Sound Start Up

Chilow 02-02-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3599401)
Are you sure it is starter grind? A lot of people are having a short valve chatter on startup on cold mornings. Read through this thread:
Clank Sound Start Up

That was my initial thread :wave: but someone mentioned it could be starter grind, which made me create this thread. I do think it's starter grind and not the valve chatter based on the noise.

mteolus 02-02-2021 04:44 PM

I had a problem with my starter after driving through a deep river and then it freezing over night. I had my mechanic clean the contacts a couple of times and it finally is working ok. I think the freezing temps caused the water to stay on the contacts too long and rust. But no grinding noise, it just wouldn't start.

Like you I was thinking about replacing it but like you said very little information. I believe it is a PITA to get it out, so if you have the money have someone do it.

Chilow 02-02-2021 04:47 PM

I don't have any starting issues, at least not at this time. It starts up how it always has. Just now with a grinding noise sometimes.