Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Electric Retractable Running Boards (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/313437-electric-retractable-running-boards.html)

dotinfo 03-01-2024 12:57 AM

Electric Retractable Running Boards

Searched but could not find, so figure I'd ask. Anyone have any experience with electric running boards for their 3G?

Rough Country offers them for 05+ Taco's. Amp Research has a plug and play kit.

Wondering if anyone has blessed their 3G with a set of these. Thanks in advance.

dotinfo 03-01-2024 12:58 AM

https://www.roughcountry.com/_next/i...pg&w=2048&q=52

Endlessblockades 03-01-2024 03:16 AM

Haven't seen them mentioned on any forum in my short time with a a 3rd Gen (about 4 years). Most people seem to be removing factory running boards and installing rock sliders.

Devbot 03-01-2024 09:45 AM

IMO this has to be one of the gayest trends on new cars :shrug: One hit and they're done

96RedRunner 03-01-2024 10:26 AM

Bought first 3rd gen in 2000 been surfing forums since, been mentions of them.
Know people that put them on mall crawlers some came optioned on new vehicles.
They don't hold up to putting 150#'s+ repeatedly let alone any kind of lick.
Pic of linkage using 3/16"-1/4" pins says it all. It yo money.

3bears 03-01-2024 12:52 PM

lame

phattyduck 03-01-2024 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotinfo (Post 3830594)
Searched but could not find, so figure I'd ask. Anyone have any experience with electric running boards for their 3G?

Rough Country offers them for 05+ Taco's. Amp Research has a plug and play kit.

Wondering if anyone has blessed their 3G with a set of these. Thanks in advance.

Read again, those AMP Research kits are universal. There is no plug-n-play option for powered running boards for the 3rd gen.

For less than half the money, you could have ACTUAL protection AND steps for the side of your 4Runner with sliders mounted to the frame. My 3 year old kids could get in and out using the sliders as a step, so unless you have serious mobility issue (which is a possibility), stay away from powered steps... They are expensive, break all the time and not functional as protection off road.

-Charlie

PS. My friend has an AMP Research bike (yes, same company) from the early 90's... now THAT is special. :caked:

dmppdx 03-01-2024 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3830599)
Haven't seen them mentioned on any forum in my short time with a a 3rd Gen (about 4 years). Most people seem to be removing factory running boards and installing rock sliders.

I don't think that "most people" are doing that. Most people aren't doing rock crawling with their 4runner but boards like this are populated with people that are more interested in doing that.

Given how I use my 4runner, the factor running board come in handy since I can more easily get items loaded onto the roof. I can't imagine a scenario where I need rock sliders.

phattyduck 03-01-2024 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmppdx (Post 3830630)
I don't think that "most people" are doing that. Most people aren't doing rock crawling with their 4runner but boards like this are populated with people that are more interested in doing that.

Given how I use my 4runner, the factor running board come in handy since I can more easily get items loaded onto the roof. I can't imagine a scenario where I need rock sliders.

Then leave the factory running boards in place? They protect the body and give a good place to step if you are exclusively driving on-road.

-Charlie

Endlessblockades 03-01-2024 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmppdx (Post 3830630)

OK, I over-generalized. I guess the people who are not doing anything beyond OEM aren't talking about not doing anything on the forums because there isn't much to to say about it leaving the rig stock :)

I do some mid-mild wheeling and like having some protection from the idiot behind the wheel and I live in a city where I can also protect my rocker panels from the idiots I live in the midst of.

dotinfo 03-01-2024 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3830599)

I love the look of no boards, especially with a slight lift. My old lady is 5'0" so it feels like removing the boards isn't the best option

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3830607)
IMO this has to be one of the gayest trends on new cars :shrug: One hit and they're done

I figure they're weak. I don't plan on crawling (gasp!) since it's my daily

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3830613)
Bought first 3rd gen in 2000 been surfing forums since, been mentions of them.
Know people that put them on mall crawlers some came optioned on new vehicles.
They don't hold up to putting 150#'s+ repeatedly let alone any kind of lick.
Pic of linkage using 3/16"-1/4" pins says it all. It yo money.

Any you can point me to? Just wondering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3830625)
lame

wrd

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3830628)
Read again, those AMP Research kits are universal. There is no plug-n-play option for powered running boards for the 3rd gen.

For less than half the money, you could have ACTUAL protection AND steps for the side of your 4Runner with sliders mounted to the frame. My 3 year old kids could get in and out using the sliders as a step, so unless you have serious mobility issue (which is a possibility), stay away from powered steps... They are expensive, break all the time and not functional as protection off road.

-Charlie

PS. My friend has an AMP Research bike (yes, same company) from the early 90's... now THAT is special. :caked:

You cant mention the bike without posting a photo!

phattyduck 03-01-2024 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotinfo (Post 3830654)
You cant mention the bike without posting a photo!

I don't have any pictures of his, but it is this model:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/05...67881a65be.jpg

I think his has a more traditional front fork, but the rear triangle has bonded carbon stays, etc. Obviously for looking at, not so much for riding. ;):

Its a floppy mess compared to a modern full suspension - and it looks like that bike above has been updated to disc instead of rim brakes.

All that is to say, that I found out that AMP Research makes side steps *after* I learned about the bike.

My wife is 5'2" and she had no issues getting in without side steps before I got the sliders - ok, maybe she was a bit annoyed. You will probably want to figure out some sort of front mud flap situation after removing the running boards. I use the rear tire as often as the sliders to access things on the roof, and you can always open the door and stand on the sill too.

-Charlie

96RedRunner 03-02-2024 01:04 PM

@dotinfo "Any you can point me to? Just wondering."

Nah, ones I mentioned was 5+ years ago broke bent or sold.

96RedRunner 03-02-2024 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3830663)

Mechanical Engr's gone wild 1993, got a chuckle I'd be skeered to ride it. :)
Don't know the story of the bike though.

Endlessblockades 03-02-2024 03:11 PM

I remember those bikes from my early days of MTBing. They were made from unobtainium as far as I was concerned. Modern bikes destroy the crazy stuff we rode back then. I had heard it was the same company that had shifted gears and gone in a different direction.....