Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   First gear only when headlights turned on. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/312554-first-gear-only-when-headlights-turned.html)

Iffykid 11-27-2023 08:32 AM

First gear only when headlights turned on.

2000 3rd Gen Limited 190,000 when starting out with transmission cold if I turn the headlights on the transmission will not shift out of first or if going down the road and turn headlights on the transmission downshifts into first, dash indicator shows D indicator light but when headlights turned on D and R are both lit at the same time also if the high beams are on the high beam indicator is dim as well.
After 5-10 minutes driving with the headlights off I am able to turn on the headlights on and the issue seems to have gone away only to return the next day with the transmission cold.:noidea:

Thanks

Bad Luck 11-27-2023 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iffykid (Post 3820410)
2000 3rd Gen Limited 190,000 when starting out with transmission cold if I turn the headlights on the transmission will not shift out of first or if going down the road and turn headlights on the transmission downshifts into first, dash indicator shows D indicator light but when headlights turned on D and R are both lit at the same time also if the high beams are on the high beam indicator is dim as well.
After 5-10 minutes driving with the headlights off I am able to turn on the headlights on and the issue seems to have gone away only to return the next day with the transmission cold.:noidea:

Thanks

I would suspect a cluster issue. Try driving with the cluster unplugged and see what happens.

clearock 11-27-2023 02:25 PM

Assuming ur correct about the trans shifting and not shifting, i'd look for some type of GRD issue (at the batt 1st) as the transmission shifting and lights only common link is the electrical system +/- (to say they r completely diff systems that work independently and don't require the other to work, expect they both require +/- to work).

phattyduck 11-27-2023 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3820422)
I would suspect a cluster issue. Try driving with the cluster unplugged and see what happens.

Yup. I had somewhat similar issues on my '99 - it would lock and unlock the torque converter with the turn signals... and sometimes multiple gear indicators would be on.

New flex circuit on the back of the cluster fixed it. Likely a broken trace on the flex board...

-Charlie

Iffykid 11-28-2023 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3820467)
Yup. I had somewhat similar issues on my '99 - it would lock and unlock the torque converter with the turn signals... and sometimes multiple gear indicators would be on.

New flex circuit on the back of the cluster fixed it. Likely a broken trace on the flex board...

-Charlie

As a nonmechanical newb where might I locate the connector to try and disconnect the instrument cluster?:der:

RodrickHeffley 11-28-2023 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iffykid (Post 3820580)
As a nonmechanical newb where might I locate the connector to try and disconnect the instrument cluster?:der:

You'd have to take some of the interior apart, there's four connectors on the back. There's a good video on how to do it on YouTube if you look for the video that entails how to swap the incandescent bulbs for leds.

You could try experimenting and see which of the connectors powers the PRND2L lights, I assume that with that connector disconnected you'd be able to narrow down the issue.

snydmax 11-28-2023 10:57 PM

Weird… electricity is so simple, yet continues to mystify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamefreakgc 11-29-2023 06:54 PM

Do you by change have Daytime Running Lights that have been modified or disabled? Could be part of the issue.

Iffykid 11-29-2023 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgc (Post 3820742)
Do you by change have Daytime Running Lights that have been modified or disabled? Could be part of the issue.

Daytime running lights were disabled a couple of years ago, 1st gear issue just cropped up about a week ago.

gamefreakgc 11-30-2023 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iffykid (Post 3820767)
Daytime running lights were disabled a couple of years ago, 1st gear issue just cropped up about a week ago.

It sounds more like a grounding or gauge cluster issue, but if any wires are cut or modified (I don't know as I haven't done it) and short circuiting it could cause issues. I've done other wiring changes and I've had odd things like crank sensor codes because a wire was shorting out.

Iffykid 11-30-2023 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgc (Post 3820788)
It sounds more like a grounding or gauge cluster issue, but if any wires are cut or modified (I don't know as I haven't done it) and short circuiting it could cause issues. I've done other wiring changes and I've had odd things like crank sensor codes because a wire was shorting out.

DRL was unplugged not cut.

blue/grey wire mod for rear locker several years ago.

trailer light harness added 10ish years ago.

phattyduck 11-30-2023 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iffykid (Post 3820810)
DRL was unplugged not cut.

blue/grey wire mod for rear locker several years ago.

trailer light harness added 10ish years ago.

Unplug the trailer harness while debugging... A bad one can also cause issues (leakage between different lighting circuits). Make sure tail lights are all working EXACTLY as you expect them too. (tails on/off, brakes on/off, turn signals - in all permutations)

-Charlie