Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   994R Stiff Steering until warm. Please help. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/312118-994r-stiff-steering-until-warm-please-help.html)

hawkcharmer 10-15-2023 07:19 PM

994R Stiff Steering until warm. Please help.

Hello,

I have a 99 4R that has stiff steering until warm or until I drive it and turn the wheel a few times.. It starts to happen when the temp is 50 degrees or colder.

I have replaced the steering rack and lines. Pump reservoir is clean as a whistle and has new o-ring, no leaks. All steering components are new and everything is oem. The stiff steering was prominent even with the old rack during fall/winter.

The fluid in pump reservoir is spinning/circulating slowly while engine is running, no bubbles. Im not sure how much it's supposed to spin. Any idea? Slow spin or hurricane?

New synth fluid, no squeals from belt. maybe a little at full lock once in a while.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Can it actually be the pump? The belt is working and fluid is circulating..

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

mtbtim 10-15-2023 07:27 PM

It sounds like you've addressed everything possible other than the pump itself. It might be that the pump can't effectively move the fluid during colder conditions when the fluid is thicker.

Are using ATF for the fluid?

MaineRunna 10-15-2023 07:35 PM

It may be a bad pump, although they typically work or they don't. They fact that it squeals at full lock tells me the belt may be a little loose or worn out. Toyotas need their belts TIGHT. The PS belts on a lot of older Toyotas also don't squeal when they aren't tight enough for some unknown reason.

hawkcharmer 10-15-2023 08:01 PM

Yes, using ATF Valvoline Fuel Synth

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3815447)
It sounds like you've addressed everything possible other than the pump itself. It might be that the pump can't effectively move the fluid during colder conditions when the fluid is thicker.

Are using ATF for the fluid?

hawkcharmer 10-15-2023 08:02 PM

Hmmm... That belt has been on there for over 12 years. I'll look into this tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaineRunna (Post 3815449)
It may be a bad pump, although they typically work or they don't. They fact that it squeals at full lock tells me the belt may be a little loose or worn out. Toyotas need their belts TIGHT. The PS belts on a lot of older Toyotas also don't squeal when they aren't tight enough for some unknown reason.

JoeT4R 10-16-2023 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkcharmer (Post 3815453)
Hmmm... That belt has been on there for over 12 years. I'll look into this tomorrow.

Please provide an update when possible. Interested in hearing how this worked out for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96RedRunner 10-16-2023 06:16 AM

@hawkcharmer , mine doing same thing @ 30* and below. New rack 5k mi. system flush pump screen clean
Belt grooves cleaned scuffed with sandpaper new belt tension gauge adjusted regular ATF Pump @ 229k mi.
It the pump, check out FSM section SR-35 clearance's in the 10,000th inch range for Vanes and Shaft
cold thicker fluid slipping by. Doing it at 50* your closer to pump end of life than me I'm a 3rd coaster
I've got miles to go yet.
If belt is not loose.