Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Welp, it is likely totalled (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/313888-welp-likely-totalled.html)

gaber6 04-26-2024 04:17 PM

Welp, it is likely totalled

1 Attachment(s)
Parked in my RV spot and a dude has a medical event and goes about 50mph into the rear of my car, over a tree and into another camper trailer.

Looks like only the hatch and cosmetic, but the frame is about 3" in on the right with the tailpipe.

Luckily didn't hit my camper, also lucky we have gravel parking or may have rolled having been pushed over 90°.

Now I have to track down receipts for work done on it recently.
And of course my dash cam was off.

Offroad Alliance 04-26-2024 05:02 PM

what do you mean "the frame is in about 3 inches"?

The frame of the 4Runner is a boxed frame. If one side was 3" jacked, you would have doors not able to open or close on that side and a total misalignment of panels. Hit looks pretty high, couldve just buckled the quarter panel and TKO the hatch, but to have the frame be that far off as a boxed frame you would see opposing sides and panels/doors gapping or too tight to even open doors.

gaber6 04-26-2024 11:45 PM

Yeah, maybe 3" eyeball measurement could be off. I feel like the angle it was hit could have moved it a little if it was centered on the hitch.
It was a 2500 truck that went over a tree and then pushed a 30 foot camper 5 feet off it's pedastles

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

ArthurKotb 04-27-2024 08:57 AM

Insurance company will total it if the repair cost is more than the car's BB value. My brother's insurance company wanted to total his Lexus LX460 after a fairly minor fender bender. He argued with them and they finally agreed to repair.

I would get some estimates from body shops, also shop for a new hatch at online junk yards.

gaber6 04-27-2024 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArthurKotb (Post 3835624)
Insurance company will total it if the repair cost is more than the car's BB value. My brother's insurance company wanted to total his Lexus LX460 after a fairly minor fender bender. He argued with them and they finally agreed to repair.

I would get some estimates from body shops, also shop for a new hatch at online junk yards.

Yeah, nothing opens until Monday.

Upon closer inspection, the muffler pipe was bent against the panhard support forward causing the rear of the muffler to open a little and all the measurements show the body is at least 1/2 inch left.

SurferUK 04-28-2024 06:38 AM

This is sad to see, sorry about your truck.

ArthurKotb 04-28-2024 10:20 AM

Really sorry about the hit. Anything can be fixed but at what cost. If the driver had a medical emergency, things like that can't be helped. I hope he is okay.

When you take it for estimates keep us in the loop. I hope it's mostly body work and insurance will take care of it. It looks to be in really good condition.

gaber6 04-29-2024 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArthurKotb (Post 3835693)
Really sorry about the hit. Anything can be fixed but at what cost. If the driver had a medical emergency, things like that can't be helped. I hope he is okay.

When you take it for estimates keep us in the loop. I hope it's mostly body work and insurance will take care of it. It looks to be in really good condition.

Thanks, yeah glad nobody was hurt.
I just hope I xan find a replacement. I'm not comfortable towing my camper after a hit on the hitch from a 45 degree angle.

gaber6 04-30-2024 09:35 PM

Collision center spent a whopping 3 minutes accessing the damage and took photos. I gathered up all my recent receipts in preparation that they'll give a lowball 'totalled' offer.

Does anyone have experience with buybacks on your own car and registration?

ArthurKotb 05-01-2024 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaber6 (Post 3835895)
Collision center spent a whopping 3 minutes accessing the damage and took photos. I gathered up all my recent receipts in preparation that they'll give a lowball 'totalled' offer.

Does anyone have experience with buybacks on your own car and registration?

My brother's insurance wanted to total his Lexus. He said he wanted to have the car repaired because his wife really loved it and if they wanted to total it he was interested in buying it from them. They paid for the repairs.

I would say just to discuss it with your insurance rep and see where it goes from there.

gaber6 05-01-2024 12:18 PM

The initial estimate is about $2500 so for now, I'm setting up the next step for the repairs.

Door, window, resonator, hitch and bumper accesories.

Luckily the uninsured dude replied to a message and agrees to pay my deductable and more to cover future premium increase. Fingers crossed that it all works out

ArthurKotb 05-01-2024 04:58 PM

That's not bad at all. When my youngest was in his first year of driving he hit 2 parked cars and I paid about that amount for each to keep from my rates going up. I had to pay to fix his car too; expensive kid.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

Jan777 05-03-2024 06:41 AM

Had a similar accident a few years ago although the other truck crashed more centered into mine. My hitch went right through his radiator.

Got it fixed for less than 500, plus 400 for repalcement window. But I am stationed in a low price country.

Do I see correct on the pic: your rear window is still intact? Can't be much of a bend then.

The rear door was fixed and painted, but since it had been damaged once it started to corrode from inside. Now, four years later, I had to replace it with a new rear door.

Hi-desertT4R 05-03-2024 08:17 AM

Such a bummer to hear. Hope everything works out buddy!

gaber6 05-03-2024 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan777 (Post 3836055)
Had a similar accident a few years ago although the other truck crashed more centered into mine. My hitch went right through his radiator.

Got it fixed for less than 500, plus 400 for repalcement window. But I am stationed in a low price country.

Do I see correct on the pic: your rear window is still intact? Can't be much of a bend then.

The rear door was fixed and painted, but since it had been damaged once it started to corrode from inside. Now, four years later, I had to replace it with a new rear door.

Ahh no the rear glass is toast. Luckily the tint held it all together instead of filling the truck with glass. It has been duct tape special for the past week until Monday when I drop it off for actual repair.