Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2005 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Build (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/303345-2005-toyota-hilux-surf-ssr-x-build.html)

OGHalo 02-04-2022 03:12 PM

2005 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Build

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone from Canada, I currently drive a 2005 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X 20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION, I recently picked it up after waiting 3 months for the vehicle to arrived from Japan to Canada. I'm not looking to do anything crazy build here, this will be my daily and want it to be comfortable to drive. This will be used to update my build and the process that's been done so far. If you want to know more about the 4th gen Hilux Surf I already made a post about it: Hello From Canada!.

Plans for this build:

Engine wise I plan to install a Oil Catch Can, K&N 62-1370 Vent Filter for the Secondary Air Pump, engine block heater, metal coolant bypass pipe (the plastic one is leaking coolant)

Exterior, undercoat the frame to prevent rust on Canadian roads, paint the chrome trim and a couple of faded trim pieces, 2" lift kit, trailer hitch, offroad tires, and a front push bar.

Interior, add a cruise control switch (hopefully it's plug and play, the Hilux Surf never came with cruise control switch), install a new head unit because the original one doesn't work here in North America, clean up the interior.

OGHalo 02-04-2022 03:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the interior if you guys are curious about the difference between the North American 4runner and the Hilux Surf, nothing really other then being a right hand drive vehicle and no cruise control switch.

SurferUK 02-04-2022 05:40 PM

That makes 2 right hand drive members on here now :biggrin1:

Looks like a beauty mate. Yours is as corrosion-free underneath as mine. I have a CC kit I need to be brave enough to install at some point.

Check out the auto fluid change via the cooling lines thread if you are doing all fluids.

Have you got the ETC boxes in the centre console/armrest compartment?

riceandpho 02-04-2022 10:40 PM

more interior and engine bay shots

OGHalo 02-05-2022 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurferUK (Post 3709835)
That makes 2 right hand drive members on here now :biggrin1:

Looks like a beauty mate. Yours is as corrosion-free underneath as mine. I have a CC kit I need to be brave enough to install at some point.

Check out the auto fluid change via the cooling lines thread if you are doing all fluids.

Have you got the ETC boxes in the centre console/armrest compartment?

I actual do have a ETC box in the centre console, hopefully once I pick up my cruise control switch I can confirm weather or not it's plugin play type of deal

OGHalo 02-05-2022 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceandpho (Post 3709916)
more interior and engine bay shots

Whenever I have time I'll take more better pictures of the interior and engine bay

SurferUK 02-05-2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGHalo (Post 3710106)
I actual do have a ETC box in the centre console, hopefully once I pick up my cruise control switch I can confirm weather or not it's plugin play type of deal

Mine looks like it has receivers on the windscreen, but just needs the gear stick trim panel removed to remove the wiring to the boxes. I still haven't bothered and she whispers sweet nothings to me in Japanese every startup :biggrin1:

Bluesky 07 02-07-2022 11:38 AM

@OGHalo , wow. Your acquisition story is interesting to say the least. I wish you all the best with your Surf.

OGHalo 02-07-2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesky 07 (Post 3710430)
@OGHalo , wow. Your acquisition story is interesting to say the least. I wish you all the best with your Surf.

Thanks man, only a hand full of Hilux Surf in this forum that's for sure

OGHalo 02-09-2022 08:49 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some better pictures of the engine bay and interior. I did install the K&N 62-1370 Vent Filter, I definitely need a cover for it, if your wondering about the engine, it's a 2.7L 2TR-FE petrol, same engine in the 05 and up Toyota Tacoma.

OGHalo 02-12-2022 07:37 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Update: (2/12/2022)

So today I removed my throttle body to clean it, when I pick the vehicle up for the first time it was idling below 500 rpm and stalled on me twice. When I removed it there was a lot of carbon in the pictures and gasket. After cleaning it to the best of my ability and installed it back in, I noticed a huge difference, once warmed up it stays idle around 800-900 rpm. Here's a video of the vehicle starting up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBo4...hannel=OG_Halo

as4runner 02-17-2022 03:13 AM

Hey im from edmonton as well. which company did you use to import your 4runner?

iowabadger 02-18-2022 11:15 AM

Nice!
Saw a Mark II yesterday at Culver's in Iowa.

SurferUK 02-18-2022 03:14 PM

Does your import have VSC/TRAC? Mine doesn't (Well I have no lights or buttons), quite pleased about it really, less to go wrong.

OGHalo 03-01-2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurferUK (Post 3713321)
Does your import have VSC/TRAC? Mine doesn't (Well I have no lights or buttons), quite pleased about it really, less to go wrong.

I don't believe so, I haven't seen lights or buttons