Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   New Taco Off-road Failure (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/313428-new-taco-off-road-failure.html)

Thai 02-29-2024 09:51 AM

New Taco Off-road Failure

Our Brand-New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Almost Left Us Stranded...Here's What Happened! - YouTube

Go to 8:55 mark.

And this is why I have doubts about the new LC250 platform using "lightweight" (aka aluminum and thinner) parts. How did Toyota give us so much yet kept prices so reasonable........now we know..... :(

DAW89446 02-29-2024 10:53 AM

It will be interesting to see what broke.

El Dusty 02-29-2024 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAW89446 (Post 3830504)
It will be interesting to see what broke.

Classic CV break is my guess. Bouncing or quick loss and gain of traction with wheel spin and kaboom. Broken CV on one side or the other will just spin with the open diff looking like loss of drive up front.

This is why I dont wheel in winter. Love the TFL guys and they dont go easy on the reviews but this breakage seems pretty weak :( Would think they would be able to diagnose what happened on the trail pretty easily.

Thai 02-29-2024 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dusty (Post 3830506)
Classic CV break is my guess. Bouncing or quick loss and gain of traction with wheel spin and kaboom. Broken CV on one side or the other will just spin with the open diff looking like loss of drive up front.

This is why I dont wheel in winter. Love the TFL guys and they dont go easy on the reviews but this breakage seems pretty weak :( Would think they would be able to diagnose what happened on the trail pretty easily.

I think that the son of the one of the TFL guy is the one that is knowledgeable.

DAW89446 02-29-2024 07:09 PM

Though their intent was to put the rig to the test, I think it was foolish to take the truck out in even that little bit of snow and ice and with street tires.

It appears that the Colorado had at least A/T's, as he was able to back into the rough spot and still pull the Tacoma. Depending on what package the Colorado had, it may have had a front locker, which definitely would help. I didn't watch the entire video, just started at the suggested time stamp and followed it to the end.

Not sure why Toyota is reluctant to offer a front locking diff in their off road models. If it was a broken CV axle, a locker in front would retain at least 3WD instead of 1WD unlocked in back and 2WD locked.

Oldmanb777 02-29-2024 10:11 PM

Lockers are really hard on axles. And if you have IFS and thus CV's it's going to be doubly hard on them. So if you have weak CV's, lockers will destroy them, easily. Even weaker live axles will not stand the stress of lockers. Lots of Dana 30's have found that out the hard way.

wcjeep 03-01-2024 12:31 AM

This seems like a transfer case issue. Zero wheel spin from the front. Beyond the initial sound no additional noise from the front. This doesn't make a ringing endorsement for new generation Tacoma or 4runner. The Tacoma was running empty with no additional weight. TFL usually runs street pressure which means less traction. The bump They gave to get onto the rock was very minor. Imagine the Overlanders adding 1500lbs of stuff. Stress on the TC would be much higher. Curious to find out the cause and will Toyota warranty the damage?

Texmax 03-01-2024 01:58 PM

Pot metal parts from China, no doubt.

That shouldn't happen on a brand-new Toyota.

Thai 03-01-2024 02:00 PM

Hopefully, this is a defective mechanical part……….but if not, then LC250 is basically a paper tiger….

Buckfever 03-01-2024 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thai (Post 3830629)
Hopefully, this is a defective mechanical part……….but if not, then LC250 is basically a paper tiger….

How so? I would think it's more of a concern for the upcoming 4Runner?

Thai 03-01-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckfever (Post 3830644)
How so? I would think it's more of a concern for the upcoming 4Runner?

The Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Taco, and GX550 all share the same platform. So yes, it is a concern for all.

Buckfever 03-02-2024 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thai (Post 3830649)
The Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Taco, and GX550 all share the same platform. So yes, it is a concern for all.

You're probably right, I just never viewed the Tacoma to have the same durability as a Prado based build, like the GX for instance.

I have no idea what the 6th generation 4Runner is going to be but you do hear a lot that it will be based on the Tacoma. Thinking it might not be as durable as a GX overland or the 250. We'll see.

trainman605 03-02-2024 12:08 PM

I thought it was a electrical actuator problem, but since we heard a pop, it could be the actuator releasing out of gear and the gears popped, thus since it stopped holding an electrical charge it would no longer put the gears back into place. Actuator failure, just a thought.

alextop 03-03-2024 02:52 PM

Toyota's PR team is in crisis management right now...HA! serves them right, what is this BS

johnnygraphic 03-03-2024 05:31 PM

Wowzers! Does not bode well for Toyota. Will be interesting to follow this and see what exactly happened and the point of failure. Weak/poor materials? Bad engineering? Cost cutting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk