Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Replacement for high beam (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/313891-replacement-high-beam.html)

BettysNephew 04-27-2024 08:49 AM

Replacement for high beam

One of my high beam bulbs burned out on my 2017 4R Limited so it is time for repair. My preference would be to go to LED for the high beam. I recall that the DDM Saber LED seemed to be the replacement of choice if one was going that route. Is this still the best choice in LEDs? I see there are now several wattage levels available. Is one superior to others? Does the high wattage one cause any issues electrically? Has any company actually solved the DRL flicker issue?
Thanks for putting up with all my questions.

fkheath 04-27-2024 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettysNephew (Post 3835623)
One of my high beam bulbs burned out on my 2017 4R Limited so it is time for repair. My preference would be to go to LED for the high beam. I recall that the DDM Saber LED seemed to be the replacement of choice if one was going that route. Is this still the best choice in LEDs? I see there are now several wattage levels available. Is one superior to others? Does the high wattage one cause any issues electrically? Has any company actually solved the DRL flicker issue?
Thanks for putting up with all my questions.

Since the high beam bulb also doubles as the DRL, most LED suppliers say that LEDs will not work there. There are a few LED suppliers will say theirs will work, but I don't believe them.

Thus, you have three choices:
1. Conventional halogen available anywhere (auto parts stores, Walmart, etc)
2. A brighter/whiter light such as the Sylvania Silverstar and others. Those burn out sooner because the filament runs at a much higher temperature.
3. A 100 watt halogen bulb. I got the Phillips Rally Vision, but Hella also makes a good 100 watt bulb. Philips Rally Vision 9005 HB3 100W Two Bulbs Headlight High Beam High Watt Lamp | eBay

Just be aware, that anything over 55 watts is illegal for on road use, but in over 50 years of driving my Porsche with 100 watt H4 bulbs, I have never been stopped.

Suggestion: get the LasFit 4Runner Pro-DC kit for the low beams: Toyota 4Runner 2014-2020 Custom H11 LED Bulbs with Dust Cover | Pro-DC They are much, much brighter than the oem bulbs, very white, and if adjusted properly, have a perfect flat top pattern. They are so much better than the OEM, you may just decide to use them all the time and not even use your high beams.

Two downsides to the Pro-DC: they are a bit pricey, and they can be difficult to adjust properly for the best light pattern.

BettysNephew 04-28-2024 09:30 AM

Okay, here goes again, I guess I should have supplied more information...

I have HID in my low beams which work well and tried LED's first in the projectors and was not pleased with the results so do not intend to try them again. If needed I will disable the DRL by bending the pin on the HL relay if there are still no solutions to the flickering.

So I guess it boils down to knowing from which high beam LED you folks have had the best performance. Any suggestions about this?

TRDHULK 04-29-2024 01:19 PM

I have yet to find LEDs that work for the high beams without causing high speed flickering.

hoppyjr 04-29-2024 01:32 PM

This is what you want. Quality product, no flicker.

14-21 TOYOTA 4RUNNER V50 DRL/HIGH BEAM KIT

TRDHULK 04-29-2024 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppyjr (Post 3835774)
This is what you want. Quality product, no flicker.

14-21 TOYOTA 4RUNNER V50 DRL/HIGH BEAM KIT

Wow, that aint cheap!

Thanks!

hoppyjr 04-29-2024 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDHULK (Post 3835797)
Wow, that aint cheap!

Thanks!

Not cheap, but I’ve been using their products for many years and they just keep getting better and better. All my vehicles are using VLED products and I’ve never been disappointed.