Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   3" lift kits only seem to lift the back 2" (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/313418-3-lift-kits-only-seem-lift-back-2-a.html)

eanema 02-28-2024 10:39 AM

3" lift kits only seem to lift the back 2"

So I've recently replaced my 3rd gen with a 2007 sport 4th gen and I'm shopping around for lifts. Every thing I see seems to be 3" in the front and 2" in the back. I understand that that is going to correct the factory rake, but I am I the only one who likes that rake? Am I missing something?

I am looking at getting the Toytec/Bilstein 3" Lift Kit and honestly, I may just get it regardless, people seem to like it. And I like that I can expect a smooth ride on the road, apparently only ~10% stiffer than the factory suspension. I put a 3" OME lift on my 3rd gen and it would rattle your fillings out unless you were on perfectly flat pavement (which where I live is almost non-existent)

What have others done? Maybe install a spacer along with the 2" rear coils? Seems like a dumb way to get the lift I'm after... other suggestions/concerns?

shiftmx 02-28-2024 05:12 PM

The 4th gens have about 19" hub to fender front and 21" rear. The kits being shorter in the rear still give you about 1" taller rake in the rear after lift. If you want a little more, you could always add the 10mm OME spacers or ironman offroad has custom sizes that are a little bigger.

OopsIBrokeIt 02-29-2024 09:40 AM

What shiftmx said, and you could also choose your own springs/shocks instead of a kit to achieve whatever height you want.

Dobinsons has a tool to show you the expected ride height for different springs on your vehicle, it even gives you info for vehicles with weight added like bumpers or winches.

I can also confirm that Bilstein 5100s + dobinsons springs are not at all harsh. Pavement ride quality is on par with my wife's prius, offroad you do feel bumps but it kinda feels like every other truck out there.

Firm instead of hard may be the way to put it.

eanema 02-29-2024 01:42 PM

Thanks for the input. Right now I'm thinking I'll probably just buy the kit from Toytec. Its just easier. Maybe I might like to have a bit taller springs in the back, but do I really care enough to buy everything individually? Probably not... I'm sure I will be satisfied with the kit lol. Does that make me lazy?

gaber6 03-02-2024 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eanema (Post 3830520)
Thanks for the input. Right now I'm thinking I'll probably just buy the kit from Toytec. Its just easier. Maybe I might like to have a bit taller springs in the back, but do I really care enough to buy everything individually? Probably not... I'm sure I will be satisfied with the kit lol. Does that make me lazy?

I think the rake makes sense. If you ever tow or carry any weight, the nose goes up. I deleted my front Daystar pucks after 5 months but kept the rears in as I tow a small camper everywhere.

eanema 03-03-2024 05:49 PM

I agree with this, and I do tow occasionally. I wonder if it would be better to find different springs for the rear or just get a 1" spacer? Cost vs benefits...

gaber6 03-06-2024 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eanema (Post 3830795)
I agree with this, and I do tow occasionally. I wonder if it would be better to find different springs for the rear or just get a 1" spacer? Cost vs benefits...

If I had to do it again, I'd just get lift springs and deal with a slightly stiffer ride around town. The trailer pulls nicely with the pucks but I'd have more assurance with a proper setup.