Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Valvomax? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/313334-valvomax.html)

Jon S 02-19-2024 01:53 AM

Valvomax?

Anyone else use the Valvo max, essentially a quick drain plug?
M12-1.25 Quick Twist Valve with Stainless Drain Tube Knob
– ValvoMax Oil Drain System

Last trips to dealer approaching and tired of them f’ing up my 4Runner, spilled oil, missing, not installing plate bolts, rotating tires when asked not to, losing keys, not checking air filter but saying it’s clean, when I know it’s got leaves in it, general jackassery from a supposed group of professionals.
I can do it, just wondering if this makes it less messy or easier?
Corwin toyota in Boulder is making me grumpy.

lewdog998 02-19-2024 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon S (Post 3829478)
Anyone else use the Valvo max, essentially a quick drain plug?
M12-1.25 Quick Twist Valve with Stainless Drain Tube Knob
– ValvoMax Oil Drain System

Last trips to dealer approaching and tired of them f’ing up my 4Runner, spilled oil, missing, not installing plate bolts, rotating tires when asked not to, losing keys, not checking air filter but saying it’s clean, when I know it’s got leaves in it, general jackassery from a supposed group of professionals.
I can do it, just wondering if this makes it less messy or easier?
Corwin toyota in Boulder is making me grumpy.

If you are doing it yourself, my opinion would be to stick the factory plug with magnet. While it is not a definitive test, checking the plug for excessive metal could be a early warning sign of internal wear issues. Or on the flip side, it is also reassurance that your baby is in good health.

fkheath 02-19-2024 10:59 AM

It is not always a good idea to screw stainless steel into regular steel. Stainless can gall. Also, stainless is weaker than regular steel; tighten it a bit too much and it will snap off.

GrimJeeper91 02-19-2024 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog998 (Post 3829489)
If you are doing it yourself, my opinion would be to stick the factory plug with magnet. While it is not a definitive test, checking the plug for excessive metal could be a early warning sign of internal wear issues. Or on the flip side, it is also reassurance that your baby is in good health.

I did my first oil change on my '24 last weekend. Replaced the factory plug with the ValvoMax. First off I discovered that my plug was installed without a crush washer. Also, the factory plug was not magnetic. I'm not worried about not having a magnetic plug, particularly since you can lay eyes on the filter since it's not hidden in a metal can. I also clean my catch pan after every oil change so I can see what, if anything, is coming out of whatever is being drained.. The Valvomax is the first drain device I've ever used so I can't really comment on it yet. In theory I like it but time will tell. I'm not worried about it being SS since you install it once and leave it. It also comes with a crush washer.

02SE 02-19-2024 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 (Post 3829501)
I did my first oil change on my '24 last weekend. Replaced the factory plug with the ValvoMax. First off I discovered that my plug was installed without a crush washer. Also, the factory plug was not magnetic. I'm not worried about not having a magnetic plug, particularly since you can lay eyes on the filter since it's not hidden in a metal can. I also clean my catch pan after every oil change so I can see what, if anything, is coming out of whatever is being drained.. The Valvomax is the first drain device I've ever used so I can't really comment on it yet. In theory I like it but time will tell. I'm not worried about it being SS since you install it once and leave it. It also comes with a crush washer.

I'd be willing to bet the drain plug gasket installed at the factory was stuck to the oil pan. So likely you now have two drain plug gaskets stacked, which will probably start to seep.

GrimJeeper91 02-19-2024 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02SE (Post 3829540)
I'd be willing to bet the drain plug gasket installed at the factory was stuck to the oil pan. So likely you now have two drain plug gaskets stacked, which will probably start to seep.

Nope, I don't, I looked when it didn't come with the drain plug.

Twilghtzone 02-19-2024 05:46 PM

Don't have a Valvomax... but I have a Fumoto that works just fine.
Makes it easy. Saves messing about with the plug. Highly recommended.

Maybe (some day) I will buy the remote (screw on) oil filter kit.
Big thing about the oil change job is dealing with the front skid plate.

cheeser 02-19-2024 06:06 PM

Been using the Fumoto valve on all of my Toyotas for 10+ years…zero issues. Using the Femco on the Mustang as Fumoto doesn’t carry a product for the new Coyotes.

Jon S 02-22-2024 12:05 AM

For those of you with the fumoto, do you use a hose to direct it, or just prepare to catch?
Thanks

patkelly4370 02-22-2024 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon S (Post 3829829)
For those of you with the fumoto, do you use a hose to direct it, or just prepare to catch?

Thanks

I use a tube to direct it

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blackgoat 02-22-2024 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeser (Post 3829558)
Been using the Fumoto valve on all of my Toyotas for 10+ years…zero issues. Using the Femco on the Mustang as Fumoto doesn’t carry a product for the new Coyotes.

I just installed a Fumoto on mine last weekend .

MarekP 02-24-2024 08:18 PM

I was thinking about buying Fumoto, but my concern is that it is a "moving part" under you car.
I go desert very often and I wonder if dust/sand/mud will have an effect on the valve mechanism...:confused:

cheeser 02-24-2024 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarekP (Post 3830073)
I was thinking about buying Fumoto, but my concern is that it is a "moving part" under you car.
I go desert very often and I wonder if dust/sand/mud will have an effect on the valve mechanism...:confused:

My 2006 Tundra went 125k, and my 2016 Runner hit 110k miles with Fumoto valves…no issues with leaks or ball valve. I always check them at oil change time. They could always be cleaned if you found them caked with mud, but they seem to be sealed well.

fkheath 02-24-2024 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarekP (Post 3830073)

If you go off road, you should have a quality skid plate. That will protect anything under the engine from getting damaged or too dirty.

I have the OEM TRD skid plate; the only down side of that is it must be removed to change the oil. But there are others that have an access plate to change the oil.

seatia 02-25-2024 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3829493)
It is not always a good idea to screw stainless steel into regular steel. Stainless can gall. Also, stainless is weaker than regular steel; tighten it a bit too much and it will snap off.

Lots of different types of stainless.
If staying within torque/size limits, breakage shouldn't be an issue.
Always use an antiseize.
Tef-Gel is arguable one of the best for stainless in corrosive and galvanic environments.