Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   its 2024, Lets Talk OIL Filter Wrenches, what are you ALL using? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/313274-its-2024-lets-talk-oil-filter-wrenches-what-you-all-using.html)

toolguy 02-12-2024 05:35 PM

its 2024, Lets Talk OIL Filter Wrenches, what are you ALL using?

Guys, im in the market for a 2nd Oil Filter Wrench.

just did my favorite job, which is the Oil Filter change.

All sorts of familiar with this terrible chore, we all have to deal with.

i have the OLD Style Motiv Oil Filter Wrench, with slotted tabs.

im looking for a 2nd Oil Filter Wrench, and this Tool Guy Republic Oil Filter Wrench looks like it may be an improvement to Motiv.
  • Forged, Machined and Steel?

anyone use this Oil Filter Wrench and Reviews/ Performance.

the Motiv i have works fine, but fit is a little loose, so looking for a 2nd Oil Filter Wrench to Try on the next OCI.

also looking for a Filter Wrench without he slots..

Reviews? other Suggestions for Oil Filter Wrench that does not have slotted Tabs.

What are you ALL using and anyone use the Tool Guy Republic Filter Wrench?>

seatia 02-13-2024 03:07 AM

Got the alum no slot Motive, but had I known of this one, I would have gotten it instead. Won't find a stronger one.
Only con for me is the 1/2" drive instead of 3/8".
Most use won't require a 1/2" drive and there is the 15/16 hex for the tough ones anyway.

97BlackAckCL 02-13-2024 11:31 AM

I have the MotivX with the slots, works perfect

T4R_Canuck 02-13-2024 08:25 PM

I bought an amazon knockoff of the original Motivx and it's worked well for me for the last 3+ years. It's amazing how easy it is to remove these filter housings when a dealership hasn't over tightened them to within an inch of their lives.

97BlackAckCL 02-13-2024 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4R_Canuck (Post 3829023)
I bought an amazon knockoff of the original Motivx and it's worked well for me for the last 3+ years. It's amazing how easy it is to remove these filter housings when a dealership hasn't over tightened them to within an inch of their lives.

Seriously, especially after switching to the metal housing and not fearing about breaking or cracking the cheap plastic housing

Whippersnapper02 02-14-2024 12:19 AM

Motivx.

mrblah 02-14-2024 12:27 AM

motivx for me also.

I don't feel the need to collect oil wrenches. I just use what works with the minimum amount of fuss and mess.

kenwilliams0803 02-14-2024 11:41 AM

Slotted motiv x. 8 years and 160k+, no issues.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

MasterFoo 02-14-2024 01:04 PM

I think it was a plug for their company. But we all have our wrenches already.

JAXJeremy 02-14-2024 02:44 PM

Motivx here as well. Like others I had upgraded to the metal housing a couple oil changes ago and you practically don't need the tool if the housing isn't overtightened.