Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Restoring black around top and sides of windows (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/313211-restoring-black-around-top-sides-windows.html)

JoshFink 02-05-2024 09:43 AM

Restoring black around top and sides of windows

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know what this piece or pieces is called? I've replaced the bottom molding, and it looks and works great. However, now it's so much more noticeable how bad the tops and side pieces look.

I've attached a picture (this isn't my vehicle but just an example).

Thanks for the help.

Attachment 410043

phattyduck 02-05-2024 03:21 PM

It is rubber - what products have you tried for maintenance? Most OEMs now recommend some sort of silicone grease as the treatment/protectant for exterior rubbers.

-Charlie

4RunnerNoobinNC 02-06-2024 02:26 AM

I don’t remember all the details on how my gf cleaned mine…I think she used turtle wax rubbing compound or an abrasive household cleaner and a lot of elbow grease. I can’t remember what she used to scrub…but possibly a maroon scotch brite pad. She did the passenger side and stopped. She never finished the rest. It was a lot of work, but she achieved.

We did our research on methods and compiled what was learned into a new way of doing it lol…

4RunnerNoobinNC 02-06-2024 02:28 AM

I don’t remember all the details on how my gf cleaned mine…I think she used turtle wax rubbing compound or an abrasive household cleaner and a lot of elbow grease. I can’t remember what she used to scrub…but possibly a maroon scotch brite pad. She did the passenger side and stopped. She never finished the rest. It was a lot of work, but she achieved what I was wanting to do.

We did our research on methods and compiled what was learned into a new way of doing it lol…

shadow247 02-06-2024 01:37 PM

You need some sort of Rubber cleaner for these. Dawn actually works great to clean rubber. Follow up with some Silicone rubber dressing, buff that off, and you should be good to go. I never used anything special to restore these types of rubber. Just a good scrubbing with a sponge and dawn works great.

Jason B 02-06-2024 09:15 PM

I do have another way to take your eyes away from that window trim. Carbon on the pillar area, which I can do in a 6 piece set.

https://www.burtmanindustries.com/im...pillarsun8.jpg

Burtman Industries Carbon Fiber Pillars

Silver.T4R 02-06-2024 10:15 PM

I'd recommend potentially using a clay bar like you would on car paint to clean them. This is a very very mild abrasive that should remove any contaminants that discolor it or use dawn and a sponge as others have said. Follow it up with a silicone grease or protectant to help restore it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

4RunnerNoobinNC 02-06-2024 11:56 PM

So it finally came to me as to how my gf did it…it was a dawn/water mixture and an old tooth brush. That was followed up with the rubbing compound. The most important thing of the process was the elbow grease…

JoshFink 02-08-2024 11:58 AM

Wow.. Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think I had any follow up as I never got a notification. I've now become what I hate when someone asks a question and then disappears.

Apologies....