Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   The New Ford Bronco Debut Ad Nauseam - 8pm Eastern, July 13, 2020 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/288192-new-ford-bronco-debut-ad-nauseam-8pm-eastern-july-13-2020-a.html)

RichinRidgewood 07-13-2020 04:52 PM

The New Ford Bronco Debut Ad Nauseam - 8pm Eastern, July 13, 2020

Car and Driver article
How to Watch 2021 Ford Bronco's Debut on Monday, July 13

Fords Youtube Channel
YouTube

All different times on

Disney Channel, Nat Geo, ABC, ESPN Sportcenter

NautiBlue 07-13-2020 08:31 PM

It looks good though I could do without a lot of the tech. Great clearance and factory options. The only negative will be the prices I’m sure.

I hope Toyota is watching and taking notes for the inevitable update.

RichinRidgewood 07-13-2020 08:40 PM

It’s a better Jeep and a big toy. IMHO

It’s not a competitor to the 4R

sn_85 07-13-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3517668)

It might not be a competitor to the current 4R but the 6th gen 4R better damn well be a competitor to the Bronco and I hope it's not just another converted minivan. Ford delivered the goods with the Bronco IMO.

RichinRidgewood 07-13-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn_85 (Post 3517682)
It might not be a competitor to the current 4R but the 6th gen 4R better damn well be a competitor to the Bronco and I hope it's not just another converted minivan. Ford delivered the goods with the Bronco IMO.

Bronco is nothing I would take on an over landing trip. It has no place in as vehicle for my business.
If I was going to piss around on a beach or the the desert on a Sunday then maybe a Bronco.

cb1111 07-13-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3517668)

We don't know how competent it is. All we know is that interior appears to be made by Rubbermaid.

Thebeastlives 07-13-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3517687)
Bronco is nothing I would take on an over landing trip. It has no place in as vehicle for my business.
If I was going to piss around on a beach or the the desert on a Sunday then maybe a Bronco.

Crazy thing is a do piss around on a beach, offroad in terrain that is rated "very difficult", and blast down desert road in the middle of no where in my 3rd gen, 4th, and 5th gen TRD 4 runner. Then we drive them to the carwash get them clean and go out to eat and never once in 20 years has any of them failed to get us home. Yea Ford has built a great vehicle for 95% of the mall crawlers out there and still I will see more of them broken on the road or trail then I've seen in 20 years from Toyota.

CO-Cygnus 07-14-2020 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn_85 (Post 3517682)

Ford certainly delivered here. The clearance, break-over, and departure specs are legit, their off-road package is legit, their drive-trains look good, and the pricing does not look bad at all.

This was a big shot at the Jeep Wrangler (no doubt why FCA teased a hemi version yesterday) and the 4Runner basically got caught in the blast. I love the 4R to death but Toyota is basically flat-footed right now. Jeep and Ford are about to start escalating against each other and the best Toyota is giving us is factory LED headlamps.

They need to deliver with the 6th Gen... and definitely something better than a warmed over Camry engine with a 6-speed like the Tacoma got.

sn_85 07-14-2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3517687)

I guess it depends on what you consider overlanding. Plenty of people "overland" in a Wrangler or FJ Cruiser which both probably offer similar interior space and storage aggravation. Would I take the Bronco over say a 200 series Land Cruiser for long distance travel? No. Versus a 5th gen 4Runner that's more debatable but unfair to compare vehicles 11 years apart.

Whatever they do with the 6th gen 4R and 300 series LC they better make them more mod friendly. Give me a smooth transmission, proper gear ratios and make it easy to install 35's with little to no modification. On a 5th gen you have to hack, chop, and cut away just to clear 33's.

sn_85 07-14-2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO-Cygnus (Post 3517777)
Ford certainly delivered here. The clearance, break-over, and departure specs are legit, their off-road package is legit, their drive-trains look good, and the pricing does not look bad at all.

This was a big shot at the Jeep Wrangler (no doubt why FCA teased a hemi version yesterday) and the 4Runner basically got caught in the blast. I love the 4R to death but Toyota is basically flat-footed right now. Jeep and Ford are about to start escalating against each other and the best Toyota is giving us is factory LED headlamps.

They need to deliver with the 6th Gen... and definitely something better than a warmed over Camry engine with a 6-speed like the Tacoma got.

Agreed. I love my Yota too and I'm going to give them a pass for now. It would be unfair to compare a vehicle introduced in 2010 where the offroad market was basically all aftermarket to 2021 where you can get pretty robust off-road vehicles from the showroom floor. I have to say it's pretty awesome you can get the Sasquatch package on any trim and instantly get 35's, beadlocks, FR&RR lockers, proper gearing all from the showroom floor. I will wait patiently for the 6th gen and 300 LC before I pass judgement but they better get it right.

Deuxdiesel 07-14-2020 06:00 AM

I would consider the base 2 door soft top with a manual trans as a great compliment to my 4R. Jeeps still have a bunch of serious problems in their 3rd year of production, so hopefully Ford will learn from them. It's too bad Toyota won't take risks anymore, because they could make a great FJ soft top if they chose to.

T4R2014 07-14-2020 07:26 AM

I really dig it. I think it looks right. My only gripe is that 4x4 shifter. A knob? GOAT mode really? Tacky.

mnofpeace 07-14-2020 08:03 AM

I like...if not in practice, i like the attempt. it shows ford is actually listening, trying. It means the Off-Road comparo of 2021 will be sort of interesting
4Runners v Bronco v Defender v Wrangler Unlimited v whatever else...

seeing the convertables, doors off, big tires, locking diffs, its screaming at Jeep for sure...especially as an 'Merikan car maker. and interior add-ons, and seeing they put IFS on it also, to make it smoother to compete with the T4Rs

Is it a direct competitor to the T4Rs, i think so...simply in the category of True Off Road vehicle from the factory.

Why they made the 'Sport' is beyond me. The same way Jeep makes those off shoots that are complete pieces of crap (Liberty, Patriot).

my reservations...the 'Eco Boost' engines. a simple V6-V8 would suffice.

I think Toyota needs to do something in response...V8 the TRD Pros maybe (youve got a 4.6 available to use), a nice remodel even if the under pinnings remain close to the same...

i dont know...if i were that smart, i'd start a car company

Drobs 07-14-2020 08:25 AM

$28.5k for the base model.
Going to sell like hotcakes.

Sasquatch = 35 inch tires.

Ogre75 07-14-2020 08:28 AM

Love it. If they prove reliable, I would gladly swtich to that from 4R.