Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Trans Cooler Mount: Need Kansas 5th Gens for New Product Fitment (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/309223-trans-cooler-mount-need-kansas-5th-gens-new-product-fitment.html)

teotwaki 02-06-2023 10:05 PM

Trans Cooler Mount: Need Kansas 5th Gens for New Product Fitment

Iconic Fabrication makes a number of products for the FJ and one of them, rear recovery points will bolt on the 4R so I've ordered a set of those.
They were originally sold through a now closed group buy thread on this forum.

Their other product is a great bracket for a FJ's transmission cooler which can also be purchased with a Hayden 678 or 698 cooler install kit.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/cdn-...-jpeg.1212148/

FJ Cruiser Transmission Cooler Bracket Kit
– Iconic Fabrication

I asked the owner, Devon about a chance for a 5th Gen kit and all he needs is a volunteer or two to allow him to first measure up their 4R in the radiator area and then come back a month later for a fit check.

The reason I said a volunteer or two is because I don't know if there are any changes from 2010 - 2023 radiator mounting that might affect the location of holes or fitment of the cooler. So maybe someone with a 2010 and someone with a 2020 or later model could volunteer? Devon is located in Salina, about 40 miles west of Junction City, Kansas.

All I get out of this is Devon having a new 5th Gen trans cooler kit in stock for me to order. Practically speaking, that might not be until summer.

You can contact Devon directly through his web page at
Contact
– Iconic Fabrication

teotwaki 08-15-2023 08:46 PM

I hadn't heard anything back from Devon so I emailed him. It turns out he didn't make anything for a 5th gen so I'll go back to hacking together my own brackets and buy a cooler and other parts.

rageandlove 08-16-2023 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teotwaki (Post 3808590)
I hadn't heard anything back from Devon so I emailed him. It turns out he didn't make anything for a 5th gen so I'll go back to hacking together my own brackets and buy a cooler and other parts.

Odd. He'd sell 10x the volume of 4Runner ...

Whippersnapper02 08-16-2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teotwaki (Post 3808590)

Damn. Would have been nice not have those through radiator plastic tie downs.

teotwaki 08-16-2023 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageandlove (Post 3808640)
Odd. He'd sell 10x the volume of 4Runner ...

Yes, even Devon said "....I think the 5th gen 4runner crowd will have a large demand."

Back in February things shared in email looked promising so I guess in the months in between then and now something changed. :noidea:
I bought a pair of the rear shackle brackets from Devon and would have been happy to give him more business. He makes great stuff.

I still have the cooler I had on my 4th Gen. It's a Toyota OEM trans cooler that was on a V8 that was salvaged. It's not an easy bolt on to a 5th gen but I think I'll take a closer look at reusing it before I buy something that requires fabbing new brackets.

Otherwise I am back to scouring all of the relevant threads and cooler products to see which cooler to buy and find some aluminum to hacksaw, drill and file into a reasonably stiff and secure bracket.

teotwaki 08-16-2023 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippersnapper02 (Post 3808665)
Damn. Would have been nice not have those through radiator plastic tie downs.

It might be possible to buy Iconic's FJ bracket and modify it to bolt into a 5th Gen

97BlackAckCL 08-16-2023 03:53 PM

Bummer I was hoping this would be made

Whippersnapper02 08-16-2023 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3808691)
Bummer I was hoping this would be made

Maybe with interest something will come up. I'm going to ask on IG if they have anything planned.

teotwaki 08-16-2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippersnapper02 (Post 3808701)
Maybe with interest something will come up. I'm going to ask on IG if they have anything planned.

Good idea. Maybe Devon needs to see that there is more interest beyond my initial query.

Whippersnapper02 08-16-2023 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a response. Also got a hold of a non TSS equipped Runner but would probably need to see one in case anything changed.

teotwaki 08-16-2023 08:41 PM

Whippersnapper02 - thanks for the good news! Hopefully Devon can follow through on producing the new brackets

Jakeepoo3 08-16-2023 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teotwaki (Post 3808754)
Whippersnapper02 - thanks for the good news! Hopefully Devon can follow through on producing the new brackets

He simply mounted it to the radiator support. I have a new radiator support laying around for my 2010 SR5 if you need measurements I can get to it real quick. I believe all the 5th Gen radiator supports are the same for the most part dimension wise. What's wrong with the OEM cooler? Never had issues with it and I go hard year round.

mrblah 08-17-2023 01:11 AM

built right fabrications also known as "the truck shop" in san diego, fabricated a tranny mount for my buddy's 4runner a few weeks back, turn around was less than a day.

You guys might want to reach out to them and see what they can do for you if you are serious about this.

Their fabrication side of the business:

https://www.instagram.com/builtrightusa/

Their service side of the business:

https://www.instagram.com/thesdtruckshop/

I have no relation to them other than being a loyal and royal pain in the ass customer.

Whippersnapper02 08-17-2023 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblah (Post 3808780)
built right fabrications also known as "the truck shop" in san diego, fabricated a tranny mount for my buddy's 4runner a few weeks back, turn around was less than a day.

You guys might want to reach out to them and see what they can do for you if you are serious about this.

Their fabrication side of the business:

https://www.instagram.com/builtrightusa/

Their service side of the business:

https://www.instagram.com/thesdtruckshop/

I have no relation to them other than being a loyal and royal pain in the ass customer.

They have been at it for years now but they aren’t too local to me in the OC. I bet it was fabricated on the spot so no real measurements were taken.

mrblah 08-17-2023 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippersnapper02 (Post 3808781)
They have been at it for years now but they aren’t too local to me in the OC. I bet it was fabricated on the spot so no real measurements were taken.

yup. being local to them has its benefits.

I think they literally have a mount already drawn up on CAD for a previous build, and they sent it to the water jet as they were disassembling my buddy's bumper, and by the time they finish disassembling the bumper they had a mount already made and then drilled some mounting holes in their freshly made bracket.

Not knocking them, just saying this is their bread and butter. its that simple for them.

Only bad thing is, they cater mainly to the locals and seem happy to keep it that way since they are INSANELY busy.

I would help ya'll out, but i think they probably have me flagged in their system as a certified pain in the ass customer. I can be that kind of customer unfortunately.

When my buddy showed me what they did, compared to my half ass lego bracket install i did, color me impressed...lol.