Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Minivan vs 4runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/274403-minivan-vs-4runner.html)

Hogger 06-23-2019 08:07 PM

Minivan vs 4runner

Hey there everyone. I been a long time fan of the 4Runner and been lurking this forum for awhile now. The time is getting closer for us to pull the trigger on a new family vehicle. We are a Family of 5, 2 6 year olds and a 10 year old. We do a couple camping trips a year and would love to pull a small trailer as an upgrade from tenting.

We have been rocking a grand caravan now for almost 6 years so we do worry we are going to lose some of that inside space and end up being too cramped in there when we are loading up for day trips. But one thing I truly miss is going off the beaten path and finding some trails to go on. I used to own a Jeep and a lifted truck and we now down to just the van. Living in BC Canada, there is plenty of areas to go and explore

Has anyone else made this switch? Was it worth it?

Jetboy 06-23-2019 08:17 PM

With your size family, I think a 4runner is going to be too small. I would consider a suburban or a 4x4 van. Both will offer a lot more space and make trips more fun for everyone.

Unless you're family is small and thin. Then maybe.

Hogger 06-23-2019 08:18 PM

Suburbans are out of price range, looking for new or barley used vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

md-lucky 06-23-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogger (Post 3310600)

In your specific situation, with what sounds like your needs, I would honestly consider the Ford Flex instead of a 4-runner.

It will have the room you need, can tow a small trailer, and is available in AWD.

If you have a need to get into the mountains and do frequent real offroading... that would sway my opinion.

Flex is very popular here. They do fine on most dirt and forest service roads. Should be about the same price range as the 4 runner.

The 4runner is a very small vehicle for that sized family.

Hogger 06-23-2019 08:38 PM

Appreciate the input, though the flex barely has anymore ground clearance than our van does lol. Wife has been eyeing up the pacifica, was hoping to sway her over to somewhere a bit more 4x4 worthy. But can’t pay the high asking prices they want for suburbans and such.

Was hoping we could swing it with the 7 passenger 4Runner but guess will have to check it out more in person

Hans Moleman 06-23-2019 08:47 PM

VW Atlas or Subaru Ascent. Those are the biggest crossover suvs

5thToy 06-23-2019 08:56 PM

I agree with everyone so far. 4Runner is too small for your family. Suburban, Excursion, Sequoia, Armada in 4WD. Whatever year you can afford.

Whippersnapper02 06-23-2019 08:58 PM

I wouldn't get the 3rd row if you go Runner but I don't see you pulling a large enough trailer for 5 with it. A Sequoia would be more comfortable and would tow better.

big51810321 06-23-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogger (Post 3310600)

A slightly used Sequoia?

Hogger 06-23-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big51810321 (Post 3310630)
A slightly used Sequoia?

Possibly but they seem to be more outdated than the 4runners are.

Honestly surprised so many are against the 4runner. What prompted me to consider it more so lately was there was several out there on our camping trip this week. Many towing the ultra lite trailers with kids, more than I’ve ever seen actually.

Given me more to think about. Have one more small camping trip the following week and then we are going to start our vehicle shopping.

The trailer part I’m not too concerned with, there was plenty of ultra lites with bunks in the low 3000lb range. We been tenting it this entire time so it wouldn’t need to be anything large

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far. Armada looks interesting, still body on frame, big v8 and Nissan seems to price it aggressively. But seems to be little to no aftermarket for it if I was to lift it

euser 06-23-2019 09:51 PM

I wouldn't get a 4Runner. It won't be enough space. Subaru has some nice options, like the ascent. I would've considered one of those if i didn't impulse buy my 4Runner.

TC4Rnr 06-23-2019 09:55 PM

Minivan makes more sense. We have minivans ever since before our second one was born. A Honda Odyssey, 2 Sienna's. Our boys are 6 and 8 Now, we have a Sienna XLE AWD and just traded in the second Sienna for a 2019 4Runner TRD OR.

Minivan are the most practical vehicles for the family. We have taken some long trips down to the Texas golf coast, up to Canada. You can't get beat it. I have also hauled dirt, gravel and mulch with my 5x8 trailer with it.

Hogger 06-23-2019 09:56 PM

One more thing I have to consider here is my wife driving it as well. She hasn’t driven for a long time because of health issues but she’s almost cleared again to start driving. I would be worried to put her into something too big while hauling the kids around.

We managed in a Jeep Liberty when our daughters were first born. Two big car seats and a high back booster. It was very tight but manageable lol

Hogger 06-23-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC4Rnr (Post 3310646)
Minivan makes more sense. We have minivans ever since before our second one was born. A Honda Odyssey, 2 Sienna's. Our boys are 6 and 8 Now, we have a Sienna XLE AWD and just traded in the second Sienna for a 2019 4Runner TRD OR.

Minivan are the most practical vehicles for the family. We have taken some long trips down to the Texas golf coast, up to Canada. You can't get beat it. I have also hauled dirt, gravel and mulch with my 5x8 trailer with it.

Oh I hear you loud and clear there. We have used our minivan for everything, and we are very tempted to pull the trigger on a new Pacifica (big discounts through my work). Just hate being stuck again not being able to do any off roading and taking some trails to camp out. And even more limited on towing

When it comes to what you can haul inside? Yea the van wins hands down and much better bang for the buck.

Eric m 06-23-2019 10:18 PM

hey, I have a 13yr girl, 12 yr boy (tall) and an 8 yr girl... From VA and we've taken my '17 4runner on anywhere from 100 mile to 800 mile trips...We have a 3rd row but Never use it on trips, no luggage space with them up. We have a large roof box and we travel pretty comfy!