Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Will a heated sideview mirror work with a non heated wiring plug? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/313368-will-heated-sideview-mirror-work-non-heated-wiring-plug.html)

poisedforflight 02-22-2024 02:11 PM

Will a heated sideview mirror work with a non heated wiring plug?

Someone side swiped my driver side mirror and I'm now looking for a replacement. I've found one that matches my year and color, but it is heated. Will this work for a non-heated mirror 4runner?

RodrickHeffley 02-23-2024 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poisedforflight (Post 3829860)
Someone side swiped my driver side mirror and I'm now looking for a replacement. I've found one that matches my year and color, but it is heated. Will this work for a non-heated mirror 4runner?

If you match the wires up, then yes. You'll probably have to replace the plug. Depending if you want the heat to work or not, you may have to add a relay. It's possible to add it and get full functionality without adding the heater to it.

poisedforflight 02-23-2024 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodrickHeffley (Post 3829913)
If you match the wires up, then yes. You'll probably have to replace the plug. Depending if you want the heat to work or not, you may have to add a relay. It's possible to add it and get full functionality without adding the heater to it.

I don't really care about the heater being functional, just wondering if the heated mirror had the same style plug or if it would be a solder job. I'm having trouble locating a non-heater paint match sideview.

RodrickHeffley 02-23-2024 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poisedforflight (Post 3829951)
I don't really care about the heater being functional, just wondering if the heated mirror had the same style plug or if it would be a solder job. I'm having trouble locating a non-heater paint match sideview.

It shouldn't be a solder job, you'd just have to repin the connector, which isn't too difficult. Habanero has a post on her build thread where she discusses them in detail

3bears 02-23-2024 12:13 PM

my car was built for heated mirrors, but someone had swaped the drives side out with a non heated. Prob for same reason you have. I was able to get a heaated mirror and replace the non heated.
I dont rember anything being different in wiring. So even though kind of opposite scenario, it was all plug and play

Devbot 02-23-2024 01:32 PM

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the harness is still the same and it's just a matter of the heater being present or not. But I would heavily suspect the plugs would be the same regardless

poisedforflight 02-25-2024 07:33 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

Auce 02-25-2024 07:59 PM

If it's a 99 and above it should work, 98 and below didn't have heated mirrors.

poisedforflight 02-26-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auce (Post 3830147)
If it's a 99 and above it should work, 98 and below didn't have heated mirrors.

I'm not looking for it to actually heat, I just want the motor to work, preferably plug and play.

poisedforflight 03-10-2024 11:02 AM

I got my new mirror installed this morning. The 99+ heated mirror plug was not plug and play in my '98. The newer mirrors come with a 6 pin plug while my older mirror uses a 3 pin plug. Luckily the needed wires were the same colors on both mirrors, brown+black+red. A quick cut and solder got me fixed up.

3bears 03-10-2024 05:44 PM

glad for you and an easy fix, yep 99 and up was a change for things like that and turn signal switch and a few other things