Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Steering rack leak.. my turn..$2300 bill (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/270658-steering-rack-leak-my-turn-$2300-bill.html)

giguchan 03-26-2019 01:26 PM

Steering rack leak.. my turn..$2300 bill

Well it's finally my turn. I failed NYS inspection.. I had a bad feeling about this time... The Dealer told me thats what it's going to cost to get it all sorted out. I thought it was going to be a PS pump.. Looking for alternatives. i'm told that the OEM Rack is really the best way to go on this.

I was told that there was excessive play in the steering and power steering leak. I think i made the mistake of mentioning it first because then they had something to zero in on.. Not that i could've hidden that problem.

I am just venting... I dont need this right now..

gamefreakgc 03-26-2019 01:50 PM

Do it yourself. Toyota rack is the way to go, can be found for $600 online. There's not much to remove (sway bar and a few misc things) and can be done with hand tools and a hefty sized breaker bar for a couple of the large bolts. A standard floor jack with stands works fine.

You can replace other steering parts while you are at it but not necessary. Just go reeealllly slow and careful on the fluid lines and not mess up the threads. They strip really easily.

giguchan 03-26-2019 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply...
I might have to hunt around for someone with those tools and the space to work in. I'm in a townhouse complex... not supposed to work on any cars here... The lady next door will report you for opening up the hood. I was able to install my lights though... she must have been outta town.. $600 isn't too bad.. The PN i have 4425035041
Thanks

thegipper 03-26-2019 02:18 PM

Or if you can't do it yourself find a quality independent shop to do the work (avoid the dealership like the plague). Buy the OEM rack and pay them to install it. Should be under a grand if you shop around (although I don't know what shops in NY charge, that would be fair price here in WI).

Another option if you want save some money is check out The Rack DR. $320 shipped to your door with a lifetime warranty. I've heard good things about them but OEM is obviously the best choice.

Toyota 4Runner Rack and Pinions

giguchan 03-26-2019 02:27 PM

I think i am going to go the OEM route. I got a price of $762... and i forgot to mention the Lines too.. This could not have come at a worse time.... but it's got to be done.
Thank you

gamefreakgc 03-26-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giguchan (Post 3259304)
I think i am going to go the OEM route. I got a price of $762... and i forgot to mention the Lines too.. This could not have come at a worse time.... but it's got to be done.
Thank you

Check out Camelback's prices, they have it for $557 with free shipping (double check your year and part number though): 1998 Toyota 4Runner Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

giguchan 03-26-2019 03:27 PM

Thank you for the Link.... this is most helpful!

Twisted Sid 03-26-2019 04:41 PM

Speaking of racks, nice avatar!

3bears 03-26-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Sid (Post 3259444)
Speaking of racks, nice avatar!

agree

3bears 03-26-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgc (Post 3259353)
Check out Camelback's prices, they have it for $557 with free shipping (double check your year and part number though): 1998 Toyota 4Runner Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

camelback advertises free shipping....read the small print...the rack will not qualify due to size
I like camelback....use them a lot...but don't count on free shipping if heavy or long/big

turbo8 03-26-2019 06:48 PM

The oem rack also comes with inner tie rod ends ($150 each) and boots.

Use TWpartz at camelback for a 3% discount.

Also, you're sure your rack is leaking and not engine oil dripping on the rack?

For sloppy steering new bushings and the rack guide might tighten everything up, I think parts will be around $100 for those.

det107 03-26-2019 07:11 PM

Partznet dot com out of Philly?

heat 03-26-2019 08:39 PM

Well, if he's got to spring for shipping, McGeorge lists that rack right at $500.

rideexileex 03-26-2019 10:29 PM

I don’t follow this at all. “Excessive play”? Could just be tie rods. Did they give you any more specific details?

As far as the leaks go, is the actual power steering fluid low? All kinds of grease and oil can end up on the steering rack.

214K_02T4R 03-26-2019 10:45 PM

Following this discussion as my steering rack is showing a fluid leak also, and there are some good suggestions here to check other things leaking or being loose as well. Keep 'em coming!