Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Foldable stairs for loading a dog? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/312659-foldable-stairs-loading-dog.html)

RobS10 12-08-2023 08:54 PM

Foldable stairs for loading a dog?

We just adopted a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy that looks like is going to be BIG. I don't want her jumping into our 4Runner until she's fully developed, but she'll probably be 80+ lbs. by then and no way I'm lifting her at 60 yrs old and bad back. I found a small fold-able set of stairs on the street and easily trained her to go up them, but it's missing parts and a little short. Has anyone found a decent folding set of step stairs that works well with a stock height 5th Gen 4Runner?
Thanks!

thennen 12-08-2023 09:00 PM

Could you carpet a board that could be used as a ramp, then be kept inside the 4R? Maybe hinge it if needed to fit.

Sonoran_Desert 12-09-2023 01:54 AM

Amazon has tons of folding ramps and stairs for helping dogs into vehicles starting at $50

RobS10 12-09-2023 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonoran_Desert (Post 3821792)
Amazon has tons of folding ramps and stairs for helping dogs into vehicles starting at $50

Buying something on Amazon would be a bit of trial and error. Looking for advice from someone who has a particular one that works well with the height of the 4Runners.

RobS10 12-09-2023 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3821780)
Could you carpet a board that could be used as a ramp, then be kept inside the 4R? Maybe hinge it if needed to fit.

I'm thinking a ramp might have to be longer than a folded piece of wood. The little step thing I have is good, just a tiny bit short. But I'll measure and take a closer look.

Bmnorm2 12-10-2023 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobS10 (Post 3821779)
We just adopted a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy that looks like is going to be BIG. I don't want her jumping into our 4Runner until she's fully developed, but she'll probably be 80+ lbs. by then and no way I'm lifting her at 60 yrs old and bad back. I found a small fold-able set of stairs on the street and easily trained her to go up them, but it's missing parts and a little short. Has anyone found a decent folding set of step stairs that works well with a stock height 5th Gen 4Runner?
Thanks!

Check out this thread Dog ramp recommendations

The ramp seems to be working well for that member and their German shepherd.

Looking around I also found some platforms and steps that are hitch mounted, this may work for you. Solvit PupSTEP(R) HitchSTEP - Dog Vehicle Step | Dog ramp, Dog steps, Dog stairs

twistep | Dog steps, Dog stairs, Dog ramp

97BlackAckCL 12-11-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmnorm2 (Post 3821908)
Looking around I also found some platforms and steps that are hitch mounted, this may work for you. Solvit PupSTEP(R) HitchSTEP - Dog Vehicle Step | Dog ramp, Dog steps, Dog stairs

twistep | Dog steps, Dog stairs, Dog ramp

I have the Solvit Hitch Step and it works great, folds up when not in use and folds down. My dogs had no issues using them and was very intuitive for them, highly recommend

barry581 12-13-2023 09:20 PM

A buddy of mine uses one of these to load his Lab in/out of his F150. Works pretty good from what I've seen.

Amazon.com

TRDHULK 12-14-2023 07:09 PM

I don't have much advise here but don't buy the $170 PetSafe ramps off Amazon; they suck.

TN5gen 12-14-2023 10:38 PM

I use these. I've got a 75lb German Shepard and a 70lb Boxer. They fold up and are stored in the back passenger floorboard (with passenger seat all the way back). I've used these for the 2 years that I've had my 4runner and have zero complaints

Amazon.com

hazards280 01-09-2024 01:08 AM

We have the WeatherTech EasyRamp for our GSD and it has served us very well. If you pup doesn't need the 1st ramp you can easily leave that section out. With this set-up the incline isn't quite as steep and he doesn't try to run up the ramp in a panic.

WeatherTech EasyRamp - Heavy-duty Pet Ramp for Trucks and SUVs | WeatherTech

https://i.imgur.com/kC3rPNR.png

RobS10 01-09-2024 09:27 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! One problem is I will need this when I'm parallel parked on the street, so need something that doesn't have to be pulled out too far. Looks like this is about perfect, for anyone else looking for a compact, foldable set of steps to load their Fido. It's 25" high, so should be plenty tall for out stock height ORP...
petco.com

Streak 01-15-2024 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3822003)
I have the Solvit Hitch Step and it works great, folds up when not in use and folds down. My dogs had no issues using them and was very intuitive for them, highly recommend

Any interference with reverse camera when folded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97BlackAckCL 01-16-2024 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streak (Post 3825895)
Any interference with reverse camera when folded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I remember, been a couple years since I used it. If you want I can throw it on and test

AZ Craig 01-16-2024 05:26 PM

Another option...

Twistep for SUVs | Heininger

I've had mine for over 10 years now. Cracked a little bit of plastic on it at some point with it attached for some overlanding-esque travel in Arizona, but works great for getting dogs in the trunk (assuming you don't want them in your back seat).