Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Clicking noise from under 4runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/313584-clicking-noise-under-4runner.html)

stevew092984 03-18-2024 12:19 AM

Clicking noise from under 4runner

I have a 98 Limited automatic and I rotated my tires the other day and now I’m getting this clicking noise from somewhere underneath the vehicle. The sound is similar to when my cv joints went bad and I replaced those and the clicking noise was gone. Here it is yet again. I sounds like it was coming from my drivers side front wheel area, but when I rolled the passenger window down, it sounds like it’s coming from that side now, so I’m kinda stumped. I’ve changed both of the front bearings as well. I’ve lifted each front tire and rotated them separately, but I don’t hear any noise coming from either. Also, the clicking will increase as my speed increases. Anyone have any idea what this noise could be?

Devbot 03-18-2024 12:03 PM

Did it sound something like this? I had a similar problem a while back and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Turned out my steering knuckle was cracked around the upper ball joint, and I only found out what it was once it broke off and left me stranded up a mountain. Not a pleasant time

stevew092984 03-18-2024 01:08 PM

It does kinda sound like that. I’m gonna check both my knuckles and see if I find anything.

stevew092984 03-25-2024 12:11 AM

So I put the tires back to their original locations and the noise went away. Can’t figure out what the heck was making that clicking sound.

19963.4lsr5 03-25-2024 07:33 AM

Stone in the tire tread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twisted Sid 03-25-2024 12:53 PM

Running stick on wheel weights inside the rim? Wheel weight hitting something?

stevew092984 03-26-2024 12:25 AM

It wasn’t a stone in tread for sure.
Maybe it was the wheel weights, but aren’t those on the outside of the rim? Not sure what running stick means.

bernardt 03-26-2024 01:58 AM

I just recorded this video this morning: very frustrating not to be able to identify the source!

Why are you so weird - YouTube

The sound appear after driving for a "while" (10 minutes) and then appears (as on the video above) while on parking break...

Btw, just like you it happened right after I rotated the tires (front to back / back to front).

pluton 03-26-2024 02:12 AM

Slightly bent rim hitting brake caliper?

bernardt 03-26-2024 02:11 PM

Everything looks pretty straight there... I removed the wheel and put it back on to make sure it was correctly screwed. Testing now.

bernardt 03-26-2024 02:48 PM

Seemed too easy and it was. Noise is still there...