Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Bought a 2013 4Runner Trail yesterday (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/313452-bought-2013-4runner-trail-yesterday.html)

Lil' Bob 03-03-2024 07:21 PM

Bought a 2013 4Runner Trail yesterday

Finally made the from 2000 3rd Gen to this. Looking forward to enjoying long road trips in this sweet ride!

At this point I'm reading the manual, trying to figure out what's what. My 1st roadblock to that end is the keys. The vehicle didn't come with a "Smart Key System". I haven't been able lock or unlock the doors, except the rear door, with the physical keys. When I insert the key into the driver side door it turns to the right but does nothing. It will not turn to the left at all. Is that the way it's supposed to work? The lock and unlock buttons on the keys work but I'm kinda thinking the actual key should also work in the driver door.

Is my thinking wrong or is that the way it works??:confused: If so I'll move on with that knowledge.

Thanks!!
Bill

1000MPH 03-03-2024 08:46 PM

Turning to the left should lock all the doors, turn to the right to unlock. Turning to the left will also roll up the windows if you hold it. I honestly don’t know if the key will physically unlock the door when the electric door locking mechanism is disabled. Since your key fob works, I would think someone put the door back together incorrectly when replacing the lock mechanism.

alextop 03-04-2024 02:55 AM

Yea it sounds like there's something broke with your manual locking mechanism.

sierrahiker 03-04-2024 11:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I also have a 2013 Trail Edition. Here are excerpts from the owners manual describing key access:

Attachment 410454

Attachment 410455

Note that for the back window, you turn counter-clockwise to unlock, whereas for the driver door, you turn clockwise to unlock.

I believe that both the door and back window locks are electronic; they will not operate without power.

The locks seem to be sensitive to key wear. I have one key that operates as described, but another key that is a little worn will only operate the back window; it will not turn the door lock in either direction.

Lil' Bob 03-07-2024 11:52 AM

Thanks for the input!
Sounds like either the driver door lock mechanism is broken or the keys are worn to the point that they only function in the rear hatch door for some reason.
I'm taking it in later this month to have it checked out, so I guess I'll see what they have to say about it. I'll try to remember to post an update.

Thanks again!
Bill

Blackboard 03-07-2024 10:44 PM

I have a 2012 Trail and seldom use the actual key, until recently. Used my valet key to open the door and it wouldn’t budge. Scratched my head and maybe on the 3rd try it worked. I believe it has something to do with lack of use, debri, combination of…?

Radio Flyer 03-10-2024 09:23 AM

Yup, before getting too carried away with it, put a little spritz of rust penetrant in the tumbler. Try it every so often and see if it makes a difference.

fkheath 03-10-2024 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierrahiker (Post 3830843)

I believe that both the door and back window locks are electronic; they will not operate without power.

The drivers door has to be completely mechanical, using the key, so you can unlock it in case of battery failure, and you need to pull the hood release lever to get to the battery.