Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   06 V8 ignition switch question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/313567-06-v8-ignition-switch-question.html)

jmriott 03-16-2024 04:36 PM

06 V8 ignition switch question

I have an intermittent no power no start issue when I turn on the key.

Cleaned battery terminals/battery tests @ 13.3 volts/checked & cleaned white fuse #25/checked grounds.

I am thinking it could be the ignition switch.

QUESTION: If I replace the switch do the keys need reprogrammed?

Thank everyone!

AuSeeker 03-16-2024 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmriott (Post 3831921)
I have an intermittent no power no start issue when I turn on the key.

Cleaned battery terminals/battery tests @ 13.3 volts/checked & cleaned white fuse #25/checked grounds.

I am thinking it could be the ignition switch.

QUESTION: If I replace the switch do the keys need reprogrammed?

Thank everyone!

If you replace the complete switch it will have new keys and yes the keys would have to be programed to your T4R, also the new keys obliviously will not unlock any of the doors or hatch, you would need to keep the old key/s for that.

In some vehicles the switch and keyed cylinder are separate parts.

That being said, for T4Rs I'm not sure if the switch comes in 2 pieces or just one, if 2 pieces, the switch and the keyed cylinder, then you would only need the switch and reuse the old keyed cylinder, in which case your old keys will still work everything.

jmriott 03-18-2024 12:27 PM

Thanks.

Car has 136k miles w/ excellent maintenance.

Checked battery voltage after sitting out overnite @ 32deg. Reading 12.24 volts.

Car starts right up.

Alternator charging@ 14.28 volts.

My wife has an 04 GX47,. 140+k miles Battery voltage after sitting in heated garage.....12.24 volts.

Preliminary conclusions: Dirty terminals/faulty ignition switch/starter going bad.

I will update this thread when I reach a solution.

MikeinNH67 03-18-2024 03:46 PM

After looking at the part online, it appears you can change the switch itself without swapping the key. I've only seen a bad switch once and the car would shut off on it's own. Plus you could make it do things by jiggling the keys. I've seen more issues with intermittent starters and neutral safety switches. Have you tried starting it in neutral when it happens?