Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Christmas Break Adventures (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/211865-christmas-break-adventures.html)

1engineer 12-28-2015 12:07 PM

Christmas Break Adventures

4 Attachment(s)
It's been unseasonably warm down here in the mountains. Also, I got a few cool Christmas presents this year! Combine the two and that is a recipe for good times. I got a new bike and a GoPro. Here are a few pics and since we are in the 5th Gen subforum I included a pic from down next to the river from yesterday getting ready to go hike. Notice the trees in the water. High for sure.
Anyway, the new bike and stills captured from GoPro video. Thanks for looking.

blkhwk 12-28-2015 12:13 PM

That's some good looking gifts right there!

J-BlickPhoto 12-28-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1engineer (Post 2219968)
It's been unseasonably warm down here in the mountains. Also, I got a few cool Christmas presents this year! Combine the two and that is a recipe for good times. I got a new bike and a GoPro. Here are a few pics and since we are in the 5th Gen subforum I included a pic from down next to the river from yesterday getting ready to go hike. Notice the trees in the water. High for sure.

There's nothing like some East Coast single track! :nod:

Apex Overland 12-28-2015 12:20 PM

Were thinking of headed that way to go camping this week/weekend. Are there any good spots to go camping up there you know about? Our usual spot is closed for the season.

wfo9 12-28-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1engineer (Post 2219968)

Ahh, a Trek Stache 7. Pretty cool bike. How do you like the 29+?

I recently got a fatbike myself. I glanced at the plus bikes, but was pretty set on a traditional fat 4" 26, since I already had really nice 29ers for when it is dry... I ended up with a Salsa Bucksaw. I can't tell you how pleased I am with the fatbike. I tired to get on one of my all mountain 29ers the other day after riding the fatbike for 2 months and I was very uncomfortable... The fatbike is sort of like the 4Runner of bikes.. Not fast... a bit portly... but extremely versatile and fun to ride in all conditions.

If I can make one recommendation that will change your riding enjoyment forever... Throw a dropper post on that thing. Takes a little while to get used to it...but it takes trail riding to a new level.. They are not cheap or maintenance free, but totally worth every penny.

Engineer 12-28-2015 01:34 PM

Have you ever made it to Kitsuma? I was close by visiting relatives over thanksgiving and rented a bike to ride it, sadly had a stomach bug and lost breakfast a couple times on the way up and then after the 1st minor downhill portion decided to turn around on recommendation from others that you need to be able to react/judge the rest of the trail well.

Jhalko 12-28-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer (Post 2220050)
Have you ever made it to Kitsuma? I was close by visiting relatives over thanksgiving and rented a bike to ride it, sadly had a stomach bug and lost breakfast a couple times on the way up and then after the 1st minor downhill portion decided to turn around on recommendation from others that you need to be able to react/judge the rest of the trail well.

If you like kitsuma, you should ride from Curtis creek area up to parkway and come down heartbreak ridge. In the summer you can take the old toll road up from black mtn but route finding isn't quite as easy. It's a huge loop but the downhill.... Miles and miles of downhill single track. Top 5 trails in the country for me, but bring some climbing legs to start.

I visited my east coast bike over Christmas, rain every day kept me off it and now I'm in Atl before flying back to CO. I miss my 4Runner and have only seen one modded since leaving CO.

1engineer 12-28-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkhwk (Post 2219974)
That's some good looking gifts right there!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-BlickPhoto (Post 2219978)
There's nothing like some East Coast single track! :nod:

I know right? Riding Moab is not bad for a change of pace though..

Quote:

Originally Posted by KneeCaps (Post 2219979)
Were thinking of headed that way to go camping this week/weekend. Are there any good spots to go camping up there you know about? Our usual spot is closed for the season.

Many places are still open. Check the WV state parks website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfo9 (Post 2220022)
Ahh, a Trek Stache 7. Pretty cool bike. How do you like the 29+?

I recently got a fatbike myself. I glanced at the plus bikes, but was pretty set on a traditional fat 4" 26, since I already had really nice 29ers for when it is dry... I ended up with a Salsa Bucksaw. I can't tell you how pleased I am with the fatbike. I tired to get on one of my all mountain 29ers the other day after riding the fatbike for 2 months and I was very uncomfortable... The fatbike is sort of like the 4Runner of bikes.. Not fast... a bit portly... but extremely versatile and fun to ride in all conditions.

If I can make one recommendation that will change your riding enjoyment forever... Throw a dropper post on that thing. Takes a little while to get used to it...but it takes trail riding to a new level.. They are not cheap or maintenance free, but totally worth every penny.

This is now my daily rider. I love a fat bike but more for now and then instead of daily. This is a very stable bike and the 3" tires let you use about any line through the rocks. I have only ridden it about 30 miles so far but I really like it so far.
Many of us have tried the dropper posts and, at least for this terrain, it's not needed or used much around here. Also at my age I am just lucky to be able to ride a bike, much less at two different seat heights lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer (Post 2220050)

I've rode it and they are really nice trails. Our back yard trails (pictured above) give us about nine miles with a bit over 1000' elevation change start to finish. People travel here to ride bikes, hike, climb, ski and raft so I only go other places when the snow is too deep to ride and I usually go down to the National Whitewater Center near Charlotte.

wfo9 12-28-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1engineer (Post 2220122)
This is now my daily rider. I love a fat bike but more for now and then instead of daily. This is a very stable bike and the 3" tires let you use about any line through the rocks. I have only ridden it about 30 miles so far but I really like it so far.
Many of us have tried the dropper posts and, at least for this terrain, it's not needed or used much around here. Also at my age I am just lucky to be able to ride a bike, much less at two different seat heights lol.

I understand that some people resist the dropper... but unlike (flats vs clipped in - which can be argued as pros and cons...) I can't imagine riding without a dropper now. I did it for many years.... and resisted until they got the engineering of a decent reliable design dialed in. It is a game changer in steep and technical terrain, but is really useful in all terrain....

This video sort of explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykfElfH5LvI

Get low to flow, bro:dance: