Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Do all aftermarket skid plates delete these parts? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/312444-do-all-aftermarket-skid-plates-delete-these-parts.html)

sactown 11-18-2023 12:53 PM

Do all aftermarket skid plates delete these parts?

1 Attachment(s)
I did some searches but wasn’t finding it so starting a new thread. I was putting in the Talon engine skid set and was a bit concerned that it requires the removal of these two brackets (pictured). They seem somewhat heavy and structural, is this typical of all aftermarket front skids or are there other brands designed to retain these brackets? I like the Talon catalytic converter skid cover which goes in easy, but this engine skid caused me to pause and investigate more. Any input is appreciated.

AZ4Running 11-18-2023 01:32 PM

Some if not most heavy skids delete those. The skids are much stronger anyways so no worries there. Some skids keep the bars like the RSO/ARB skids.

sactown 11-18-2023 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ4Running (Post 3819443)
Some if not most heavy skids delete those. The skids are much stronger anyways so no worries there. Some skids keep the bars like the RSO/ARB skids.

Thanks for your input. I searched for RSO skids but can’t find it, sorry don’t know that one.

mrblah 11-18-2023 03:52 PM

Some do and some don’t. I have run both and it doesn’t bother me one way or another.

TRD PANTHER 11-18-2023 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sactown (Post 3819451)
Thanks for your input. I searched for RSO skids but can’t find it, sorry don’t know that one.

He may have meant RSG. Also, in some cases, there are skids for 4Runners equipped with KDSS that require spacers or purchasing a specific skid plate for KDSS. I had to remove a couple small braces by the cats to install my C4 transmission/transfer case skids.

AZ4Running 11-18-2023 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sactown (Post 3819451)

I have their first prototype for testing, they will be available soon. They are just a copy of the ARB skid plates.

sactown 11-18-2023 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ4Running (Post 3819481)
I have their first prototype for testing, they will be available soon. They are just a copy of the ARB skid plates.

Is that these folks? Lift Kits & Tough Suspension Parts | RSO SUSPENSION

T4R_Canuck 11-18-2023 11:49 PM

It's a choice the manufacturers make when designing their skid plates. CBI made their plates to remove those braces, while others designed them to work with the braces. The manufacturers that remove the braces usually incorporate heavier bracing in that area to compensate for the removal.

The easiest way to tell if a skid plate works with the brace or not is to look for symmetrical mounting holes in the skid plate. If the holes are symmetrical, they use the factory braces, if the skid plate mounting holes are offset to one side, they mount with the factory braces removed.

mrblah 11-19-2023 12:14 AM

also keep in mind, removing those braces don't necessarily give you more clearance either, its because the front diff is the lowest hanging fruit.

They may give you better approach angle, but not necessarily better clearance. It will depend on how the manufactures design the angle of the front plate.

Horsethief 11-19-2023 04:10 PM

The RCI allows you to keep that stuff. I have all 3 RCI skids (,engine, trans, tcase) and didn't have to remove any components for the install.

The negative to the RCI front skid is that while Toyota claims 9.6" of ground clearance, I have a little under 8" of clearance under the skid with stock suspension and stock sized tires. I whack that skid quite a bit off-road.

AZ4Running 11-19-2023 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sactown (Post 3819499)

Yes thats them. You can email them and ask when they will be releasing the skid plates. Raphael is who I have been working with. I tried to upload a picture but can't make it work anymore.