Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Well this doesn't look right (driver door wiring) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/313775-well-doesnt-look-right-driver-door-wiring.html)

Deej101 04-11-2024 06:44 PM

Well this doesn't look right (driver door wiring)

3 Attachment(s)
2001 SR5. Been trying to chase down elec gremlin forever in this car. Finally got around to pulling all the tape off the driver door wires and found what you see below.

Going out on a limb here, but that does *not* look stock to me
Might I have *finally* found the source of my problems???

96RedRunner 04-12-2024 01:25 PM

I'd say that good cause for gremlin's W-B is always a ground doesn't serve it's purpose isolated.

Deej101 04-12-2024 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3834438)
I'd say that good cause for gremlin's W-B is always a ground doesn't serve it's purpose isolated.

WTAF? So all the ground wires were bundled together and stuffed into a plastic sleeve....? Why?

I hope this finally explains everything so I can start putting back everything I tore out to track this down!

96RedRunner 04-12-2024 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deej101 (Post 3834443)
WTAF? So all the ground wires were bundled together and stuffed into a plastic sleeve....? Why?
I hope this finally explains everything so I can start putting back everything I tore out to track this down!

"It happened after removing the security system." OP in other thread.
Let me guess aftermarket security system Bit cha in da azz, best teaching simulator there is.

The spiderweb of control wiring got a love it, jigsaw puzzle at it's finest. 576 ring a bell.
And the yellow junction is questionable.

Deej101 04-12-2024 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3834456)
"It happened after removing the security system." OP in other thread.
Let me guess aftermarket security system Bit cha in da azz, best teaching simulator there is.

The spiderweb of control wiring got a love it, jigsaw puzzle at it's finest. 576 ring a bell.
And the yellow junction is questionable.

Yes, of course. But also aftermarket DIY audio system (now removed).

I think it may have just been an issue of poor insulation, because symptoms always got worse during wet weather.

And maybe the bundling of ground wires in itself isn't horrible (is it?) and maybe sticking them in a plastic tube so nothing can touch them isn't awful, but it just seems...weird. I think the yellow wire might actually be the issue though.

armabill 04-12-2024 06:09 PM

If the plastic tube gets condensation inside it, it may be an issue.

toverturf 04-12-2024 07:46 PM

I think the yellow wire with black strip splice is factory. Where do those wires run to? Do you have a zoomed out picture?
Here's the wiring diagram for that. You can see there's a wire splice there.
https://i.imgur.com/LTODlJ8.png

brillo_76 04-12-2024 08:26 PM

Those grounds are most likely factory. White Black is ground in Japan. Yes they are all bundled together in wiring harness and dumped to a eyelet connector to the chassis for ground a points.

The yellow black is a ground as well and that is factory spliced. Feel all the wires in the booted area between the door and the jam. This is where the wires always break split and short in the wiring.

That all really looks normal to me as well. :-(

Devbot 04-12-2024 09:14 PM

Can't speak for the white/black but the yellow/black is definitely factory, I ran into the same splice somewhere around the dash a few months ago. I remember being surprised by it as it struck me as kind chintzy

2TH4IST 04-14-2024 05:11 PM

Looks factory to me. They are called junction points usually indicated by a 🛑 symbol. It's where a ton of common wires are spliced together ie grounds, or splices. Looks normal to me. Interior wiring usually doesn't have any kind of water protection (unsealed connectors).