Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   CBI front skid? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/293237-cbi-front-skid.html)

TheJokingExplorer 12-22-2020 09:44 PM

CBI front skid?

I am considering replacing the factory front skid plate for a CBI off road. My factor skid has been fine and is still in great condition. The main reason Im considering CBI is because it looks like you can change the oil without having to remove the entire skid. For those that have it is it worth it? Does it make changing your own oil easier?

SpeedyKevin 12-22-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJokingExplorer (Post 3582776)
I am considering replacing the factory front skid plate for a CBI off road. My factor skid has been fine and is still in great condition. The main reason Im considering CBI is because it looks like you can change the oil without having to remove the entire skid. For those that have it is it worth it? Does it make changing your own oil easier?

hmmm thats a hard one to say...paying a few hundred more to make it easier...I will say it made my life A LOT easier lol. There are also other skid options that could be cheaper. Can't recall but CBI shipping used to be pretty darn expensive. Most aftermarket skids have an access port for the filter.

NorthPark 12-22-2020 10:55 PM

CBI shipping to AZ was I think $325 when I checked a few weeks ago.

Most skids other than the TRD allow you to change the oil with out full removal. I went with CBI

sn_85 12-22-2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedyKevin (Post 3582789)
hmmm thats a hard one to say...paying a few hundred more to make it easier...I will say it made my life A LOT easier lol. There are also other skid options that could be cheaper. Can't recall but CBI shipping used to be pretty darn expensive. Most aftermarket skids have an access port for the filter.

I'll agree with that, for whatever reason CBI shipping rates are ridiculous. The best you can do is buy a CBI product through a reseller/retailer that will charge significantly less for shipping or even for free.

@TheJokingExplorer you should contact running4tacos shop to see if they can get you a CBI skid locally and that way you can avoid their shipping rates

TheJokingExplorer 12-22-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn_85 (Post 3582802)
I'll agree with that, for whatever reason CBI shipping rates are ridiculous. The best you can do is buy a CBI product through a reseller that will charge significantly less for shipping or even for free.

@TheJokingExplorer you should contact running4tacos shop to see if they can get you a CBI skid locally and that way you can avoid their shipping rates

I just saw that SDHQ has them and their down the road from me in Gilbert AZ.

smeerun 12-23-2020 12:12 AM

Sounds like you found a good deal if you can drive over and pick it up locally. As others have said already -- most aftermarket skids make it easy to do oil changes. CBI, RCI, LFD, C4 and 4x Innovations to name a few. Personally, I'll probably end up with a set from LDF because of the $75 shipping. I also like that there is a hole for the engine oil drain plug and a plate for the oil filter instead of having two plates to remove.

Xtremluck 12-23-2020 01:12 AM

If youre using your skids that little convenience oil filter door will be useless eventually

SpeedyKevin 12-23-2020 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtremluck (Post 3582844)
If youre using your skids that little convenience oil filter door will be useless eventually

That just makes it more convenient!

sn_85 12-23-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtremluck (Post 3582844)

Haha true. Dented that oil door and sheered off the bolt for it. Now I just take off the skid every time.