Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   So Cal (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/so-cal/)
-   -   A day trip on the Mojave trail? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/so-cal/290596-day-trip-mojave-trail.html)

ericantonio 09-28-2020 02:48 PM

A day trip on the Mojave trail?

Hi gangters

Anyone know if the trail can be done as a day trip? I've seen lots of multi-day trip through there. I just wanna get out of OC for a day. Thinking of leaving in the middle of the night/late morning, be in that area by breakfast time, and taking in an easy trail.

Is it mostly 1 way? Or can I drive a few hours in, turn around, and come back same way I came in?

Looks like it can be done on 2wd mostly huh?

JD914 09-28-2020 04:02 PM

You wouldn’t be able to do the entire thing but you could definitely do a portion of it in 1 day. There are a few paved roads that cross Mojave Rd that make good start and finish points for day trips, portioning the entire trail into 3 sections. You could easily do the western-most section as a (long) day trip from OC.
And yes, it can be done in 2 wheel drive, although I’d still suggest airing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyLlama 09-28-2020 04:03 PM

For a day trip, I would recommend Anza Borrego. That's quite the drive to Mojave for one day, unless you are leaving at 5 am.

Its not one way, and there's a lot to explore, sand dunes, lava tubes etc...

It's taking me up to 8 hours in traffic. Probably 4 hours with not traffic and no stops. Anza is 2 hours.

Hope this helps

ericantonio 09-28-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyLlama (Post 3549263)
For a day trip, I would recommend Anza Borrego. That's quite the drive to Mojave for one day, unless you are leaving at 5 am.

Its not one way, and there's a lot to explore, sand dunes, lava tubes etc...

It's taking me up to 8 hours in traffic. Probably 4 hours with not traffic and no stops. Anza is 2 hours.

Hope this helps

I thought about this too! I was thinking maybe I can do some of the Mojave trail, the spend a night at vegas or something.
But Anza Borrego sounds like a fantastic alternative.

I've seen some videos and I thought maybe I wouldn't be experienced enough to do the hard sections of AB. So maybe if I can do a little research and plan a day trip there to the mud caves, turn around, get some good tacos on the 78, and head back to OC.

Both sound like a plan. Oh also, yes, I don't mind leaving super early to get to Mojave!

DannyLlama 10-08-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericantonio (Post 3549265)
I thought about this too! I was thinking maybe I can do some of the Mojave trail, the spend a night at vegas or something.

I've seen some videos and I thought maybe I wouldn't be experienced enough to do the hard sections of AB. So maybe if I can do a little research and plan a day trip there to the mud caves, turn around, get some good tacos on the 78, and head back to OC.

Both sound like a plan. Oh also, yes, I don't mind leaving super early to get to Mojave!

There's plenty you can explore that's not hard..
  • Sand Stone Canyon
  • Wind Caves
  • Mud Caves
  • Badlands

First two are on the same route and my brother in law did them in a stock limited 4X4.

Maybe we'll set up a group run soon.

krhayes79 10-14-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericantonio (Post 3549265)

When are you looking to go? I really want to check out AB and I have some other friends who would probably want to join.

Kamalani Mahie 03-06-2021 05:32 AM

[QUOTE=krhayes79;3554961]When are you looking to go? I really want to check out AB and I have some other friends who would probably want to join.[/QUOTE @DannyLlama

We should definitely setup a group run before it gets too hot out there. Lots of fun to be had in AB.

Kamalani Mahie 03-06-2021 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericantonio (Post 3549227)
Hi gangters

Anyone know if the trail can be done as a day trip? I've seen lots of multi-day trip through there. I just wanna get out of OC for a day. Thinking of leaving in the middle of the night/late morning, be in that area by breakfast time, and taking in an easy trail.

Is it mostly 1 way? Or can I drive a few hours in, turn around, and come back same way I came in?

Looks like it can be done on 2wd mostly huh?

What I've done a couple times is just head out to Afton Canyon and play around in the canyon crisscrossing the mojave river, check out the mud caves, and the mine outside the east end of the canyon. Beautiful place, lots of fun, and a good day trip. If you want to do a one-nighter you can camp at the mine site; it's pretty cool. And it's on BLM land so you can pop off a few rounds too.

patkelly4370 03-06-2021 08:33 AM

Is the water crossing on the west or east end?
I need to check it out some day as I live 20 miles from the east end.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

krhayes79 03-08-2021 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=Kamalani Mahie;3612518]
Quote:

Originally Posted by krhayes79 (Post 3554961)
When are you looking to go? I really want to check out AB and I have some other friends who would probably want to join.[/QUOTE @DannyLlama

We should definitely setup a group run before it gets too hot out there. Lots of fun to be had in AB.

When would be a good time? Is May too late?

Kamalani Mahie 03-09-2021 01:37 AM

[QUOTE=krhayes79;3613439]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamalani Mahie (Post 3612518)

When would be a good time? Is May too late?

May would be alright I think. Typically May is high 80s.

krhayes79 03-09-2021 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Kamalani Mahie;3613623]
Quote:

Originally Posted by krhayes79 (Post 3613439)

May would be alright I think. Typically May is high 80s.

Will have to wait till it gets a little closer. Soccer is about to take over my weekends for the next two months.

Maybe the Memorial day but i am sure it will be packed out there.

Kamalani Mahie 03-09-2021 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=krhayes79;3613731]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamalani Mahie (Post 3613623)

Will have to wait till it gets a little closer. Soccer is about to take over my weekends for the next two months.

Maybe the Memorial day but i am sure it will be packed out there.

Ya it's already getting a bit crowded out in the desert on weekends. As the weather gets a little warmer it will only get more crowded the next couple months and then taper off into summer.

krhayes79 03-09-2021 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=Kamalani Mahie;3613752]
Quote:

Originally Posted by krhayes79 (Post 3613731)

Ya it's already getting a bit crowded out in the desert on weekends. As the weather gets a little warmer it will only get more crowded the next couple months and then taper off into summer.

I am actually on PTO the final week in March and might be able to do a day trip on 4/1 or 4/2

Kamalani Mahie 03-09-2021 08:28 PM

[QUOTE=krhayes79;3613801]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamalani Mahie (Post 3613752)

I am actually on PTO the final week in March and might be able to do a day trip on 4/1 or 4/2

I'll be out of town unfortunately at the in-laws that weekend haha