Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Upper Control Arms ? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/289748-upper-control-arms.html)

Hungster44 08-29-2020 11:25 AM

Upper Control Arms ?

Hello,

I bought the FJ TRD Suspension package a while ago as it was being discontinued and also a set of cornfed lift spacers. 2 inch front and 1.5 inch rear. My question is do I need upper control arms? I am new to lifting but see that a lot of people have them with a lift.

What would you recommend? Sorry for the newb question, but thank you for your input!

CollinJ 08-29-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungster44 (Post 3538133)
Hello,

I bought the FJ TRD Suspension package a while ago as it was being discontinued and also a set of cornfed lift spacers. 2 inch front and 1.5 inch rear. My question is do I need upper control arms? I am new to lifting but see that a lot of people have them with a lift.

What would you recommend? Sorry for the newb question, but thank you for your input!

You likely won’t need them based on 2” of lift. Typically you’ll hear folks running UCAs on 3”+ lifts to get the alignment in spec. In short, most will tell you that you will not need them.

There are plenty of folks who run 3” lifts without new UCAs as well.

I run 3” extended travel coilovers Upfront and do run aftermarket UCAs as I enjoy wheeling my rig and just wanted a better overall ride on and off the road.

Hungster44 08-29-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinJ (Post 3538147)
You likely won’t need them based on 2” of lift. Typically you’ll hear folks running UCAs on 3”+ lifts to get the alignment in spec. In short, most will tell you that you will not need them.

There are plenty of folks who run 3” lifts without new UCAs as well.

I run 3” extended travel coilovers Upfront and do run aftermarket UCAs as I enjoy wheeling my rig and just wanted a better overall ride on and off the road.

Thank you!

Mudballz 08-29-2020 03:51 PM

I still have the stock uca on my bp51 setup With similar lift numbers as you
Numbers in setup are within spec barely but I did order jba std high caster anyway
Mike

TrailRunnin14 08-29-2020 04:33 PM

I’m running a little over 2” in front. I have the Ironman pro forge UCAs, I told them I wanted as much caster as possible during my alignment. They dialed in 4.5 degree of caster. The truck drives really nice on the highway. Hopefully when I go to 285s I won’t rub the body mount. With a little over 1.5” of life I was running 2.7 degrees of caster.
It’s all personal preference but anything around 2” of lift, I would change out the UCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hungster44 08-30-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailRunnin14 (Post 3538225)
I’m running a little over 2” in front. I have the Ironman pro forge UCAs, I told them I wanted as much caster as possible during my alignment. They dialed in 4.5 degree of caster. The truck drives really nice on the highway. Hopefully when I go to 285s I won’t rub the body mount. With a little over 1.5” of life I was running 2.7 degrees of caster.
It’s all personal preference but anything around 2” of lift, I would change out the UCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that! This helps me decide on my daily drive and alignment specs as well.