Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Comfy shocks and springs for pavement driving? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/100737-comfy-shocks-springs-pavement-driving.html)

nicolachel 10-26-2011 12:52 PM

Comfy shocks and springs for pavement driving?

Just wondering what would be a good choice of shocks and springs for my 03 4runner if I just want comfortable ride on the pavement/highway and don't really do any off-roding? Budget is less than 1K.

I've heard good things about Bilstiens shocks here but it seems that they are very firm and that's not what I really want.

btw. I've seen in a thread that you actually have to lift the front to make it level? Does that mean the 4runner is not level from factory?

Zuke 10-26-2011 01:54 PM

KYB G-2 are pretty much the stock replacement.
$235 for a complete set of 4 shipped.
Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER 10-26-2011 01:58 PM

5100s from Bilstein and OEM coils from a fj cruiser, little more firm than stock but much smoother. When people talk about the 4runner being level, they are mainly talking about the difference in gap betroth the tire and fender. The rear has a lot more gap than the front, thus we raise the front to level, or match the gap in the rear.

nicolachel 10-26-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuke (Post 894999)
KYB G-2 are pretty much the stock replacement.
$235 for a complete set of 4 shipped.
Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

Thanks, how about springs?

nicolachel 10-26-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARK_SWAMP_RIDER (Post 895001)
5100s from Bilstein and OEM coils from a fj cruiser, little more firm than stock but much smoother. When people talk about the 4runner being level, they are mainly talking about the difference in gap betroth the tire and fender. The rear has a lot more gap than the front, thus we raise the front to level, or match the gap in the rear.

Thanks, I would really prefer not so firm ones but what do you mean exactly by "smooth"?

MICA4R 10-27-2011 12:06 AM

Home

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER 10-27-2011 07:56 AM

I've noticed that bumps, especially large ones like speed bumps, aren't felt near ad much as with the stock shocks. Overall its a much better ride than factory. Another option would be factory fj shocks and coils, that would come between the stock setup and 5100s.

nicolachel 10-27-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARK_SWAMP_RIDER (Post 895506)
I've noticed that bumps, especially large ones like speed bumps, aren't felt near ad much as with the stock shocks. Overall its a much better ride than factory. Another option would be factory fj shocks and coils, that would come between the stock setup and 5100s.

Thanks for the explanation!

How about the small bumps? Like a crack on the pavement or sth. like that, will the 5100s filter that out or make that more obvious compared to the 4runner stock ones?

btw.
It seems that either the 4runner springs or the 07 Fj ones will cost about 80 each from online part stores and there's no active listing for those over the Fj forum:( Is there another source to get the springs?

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER 10-27-2011 03:17 PM

Small bumps aren't felt at all, whereas they were with the stock setup. Do you currently have xreas? Also, I wouldn't buy the OEM coils new, just not worth that. If you can't find a set listed for sale over there, post a wanted ad, should be easy to find a set. I would say you could get a set for $100 or less, I wouldn't pay much more than that.