Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Problems & Warranty Issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/)
-   -   Running board courtesy lights cut (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/101112-running-board-courtesy-lights-cut.html)

agboise 11-01-2011 02:54 AM

Running board courtesy lights cut

Hi guys!

I just bought my 4Runner (2003 Limited 4x4), and when I took it to the mechanic to have it looked over he said someone had cut the wires to the courtesy lights on the running boards on both sides.

I was going to try and get under there tomorrow and see if I couldn't reconnect them, but first I was wondering if anyone had any idea why the previous owners would have cut the wires? Has anyone had issues with them maybe staying on and draining the battery or anything?

Thanks guys!

UteRunner 11-01-2011 12:34 PM

Strange that someone would cut the wires. Did they cut them before or after the connector? Only problem I've had with mine was the splice inside the RB that I had to repair. Its no biggie to drop them and take them apart for the repair. Throw some LED's on while your at it :thumb3:

momo.75 11-01-2011 02:52 PM

They probably had taken the running boards off while they had it and put them back on before they sold it.

agboise 11-02-2011 04:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by UteRunner (Post 898981)
Strange that someone would cut the wires. Did they cut them before or after the connector? Only problem I've had with mine was the splice inside the RB that I had to repair. Its no biggie to drop them and take them apart for the repair. Throw some LED's on while your at it :thumb3:

I don't actually know, because I don't actually know what that means. I took a few pictures of where it was cut. This is on the passenger side, toward the center of the running board. The connection toward the front seems to be fine. I imagine the driver's side looks the same. (Please forgive how disgustingly dirty it is. I feel like I've adopted an abused pet and I'm nursing it back to health. ): Someone didn't love it like it deserved.)

UteRunner 11-02-2011 04:48 PM

Wow, people do weird stuff. From the picture it appears that the connector is still...well...connected. Maybe they couldn't or didn't know how to get it apart when they dropped the running boards. Might be worth your time to get a couple new connectors from a dealer and rewire that section instead of dealing with the old ones.

agboise 11-02-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteRunner (Post 900179)
Wow, people do weird stuff. From the picture it appears that the connector is still...well...connected. Maybe they couldn't or didn't know how to get it apart when they dropped the running boards. Might be worth your time to get a couple new connectors from a dealer and rewire that section instead of dealing with the old ones.

Sounds good. Thanks!

agboise 11-02-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo.75 (Post 899067)
They probably had taken the running boards off while they had it and put them back on before they sold it.

I honestly never would have thought of that. Makes more sense than anything I could have come up with.

momo.75 11-03-2011 11:21 AM

I only thought of it because I want to take mine off so i can repaint one of them. I had looked under it and was thinking it would be so much easier to just cut them off.....not that I am going to. Hopefully yours will be a simple fix. I love having the lights on mine. They really help with the LEDs in them

lsmo_guy 09-25-2013 02:16 PM

Hello,

I would like to resurrect this thread as it is the same issue that I am having.

OP, what was the resolution to the issue you had with the connector for the running boards? If you bought and installed new connectors, where did you purchase them from?

Thanks

agboise 09-25-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsmo_guy (Post 1489881)
Hello,

OP, what was the resolution to the issue you had with the connector for the running boards? If you bought and installed new connectors, where did you purchase them from?

Thanks

I sold it very shortly after this. I never did find a solution. ):

Good luck!

Desert Fox 09-25-2013 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsmo_guy (Post 1489881)
Hello,

Thanks

Would these help?

UteRunner 09-25-2013 06:35 PM

Fox, if the OP doesn't want those, I'll take 'em. All my connectors and wires have corroded out.

Desert Fox 09-25-2013 08:14 PM

ISMO Guy

Do you want these or do I send them to Ute Runner?

They came off my 2003 Limited.

lsmo_guy 09-26-2013 09:34 AM

Thanks for the thought!

Go ahead and sell them.

Desert Fox 09-26-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteRunner (Post 1490125)
Fox, if the OP doesn't want those, I'll take 'em. All my connectors and wires have corroded out.

If you PM me your address I will try and get these shipped tomorrow.