Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Automatic headlights at night : possible mod? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/106577-automatic-headlights-night-possible-mod.html)

Arterisk 01-21-2012 01:54 AM

Automatic headlights at night : possible mod?

My wife was got a ticket last week because she forgot to open the headlights at night.

Do you know if these a way to add a sensor that would open the headlights at night? (like on many other cars)

Thanks!

(not so funny fact, she also got a 500$ ticket because she was 3 days late on her driving licence renewal)

LiquidGx 01-21-2012 09:37 AM

Limited had auto on, perhaps you could source the parts directly from Toyota. Not sure how much work it would be.

Jtraskell 01-21-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidGx (Post 960220)
Limited had auto on, perhaps you could source the parts directly from Toyota. Not sure how much work it would be.

Antman, where are you?

phillyd2 01-21-2012 10:12 AM

I've had Auto On for so long I sometimes forget to turn them on when in a rental. Amazing the things we get use to.

Antman 01-21-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtraskell (Post 960226)
Antman, where are you?

No offense meant here, but honestly- if you can't remember to turn your headlights on, you probably shouldn't be on the road anyway...:shrug:

Celtic1888 01-21-2012 11:20 AM

If its that much of an issue why not leave the headlights on and double lock using fob to turn them off :thumb3:

I totally understand after 10 years of driving Audi's with auto on/off lights....:D

combatmedic 01-21-2012 12:16 PM

Make her pay the ticket. She wont forget again. :)

Arterisk 01-21-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antman (Post 960252)
No offense meant here, but honestly- if you can't remember to turn your headlights on, you probably shouldn't be on the road anyway...:shrug:

Not offended by any means :) but at her defense she was in Montreal and with all the artificial lights it's less obvious... (we normally live in a really remote area with no artificial lights so it's hard to forget them)

NHinAK 01-21-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celtic1888 (Post 960263)
If its that much of an issue why not leave the headlights on and double lock using fob to turn them off :thumb3:

This

Ukie 01-21-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arterisk (Post 960132)
Do you know if these a way to add a sensor that would open the headlights at night? (like on many other cars)

Back to the 'mod' topic. My guess is that it should be possible. Check out "Automatic Light Control , Light Auto Turn Off System (2010 4Runner)" electrical diagram - THANKS NASHMAN!!!
You need a part #8912150020 "AUTOMATIC LIGHT CONTROL SENSOR" which runs somewhere between $115 and $150.
See SENSOR, AUTOMATIC LIGHT CONTROL. AUTOMATIC LIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM (CONLIGHT) for TOYOTA 4Runner (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011) (8912150020) or this link

harper7 01-21-2012 03:03 PM

You'll need more then just the OEM light sensor from the Limited. The wiring harness and ECU(relays in a little black plastic box) would be different. With the wiring harness being the main road block to convert to Limited oem.

You would be better just leaving them on all the time or going aftermarket ......like this..... DEI 545T Nite Lite Nite-Lite System NEW

FWIW.....I leave my S2K HID retrofits on almost all the time as they don't play well with the auto sensor as they take a little while to warm up.

ndlaham 02-18-2012 09:35 AM

I'm also wondering if this is possible on the 5th gens. I didn't read the whole thread here http://www.toyota-4runner.org/access...tml?perpage=15 but it sounds like people figured out how to do this on the 4th gens not equipped with Auto lights.

I can understand why people want this. I had a 2004 Blazer that had Auto lights so I am extremley used to my vehicle switching between DRL and Headlights when the sensor triggers it. It was nice for me so I never had to touch my lights (or ever think about them) during normal driving. Also, then I wouldn't have my headlights on during the day, potentially decreasing the life of them. Of course I could shut them off manually on my t4r, but that is too much work ;)

I wonder if there would be a way to use the DRL switch on the stalk as the Auto switch, the same spot that the limiteds have the switch. You could still turn on your headlights during the day though by manually turning to the headlight mode too. Only thing you couldn't do would be to run only DRL at night if someone ever wanted that scenario. I could care less though about that.

Any one out there willing to try this or know what it entails?

ndlaham 02-20-2012 10:28 PM

working on this mod

A couple things I am thinking about making this mod possible.

I think it would be fairly easy but I'm still working out the details. I am pretty sure all I would need is a photocell circuit that controls a relay and some creative wiring into an additional switch.

There is this out there already Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 545T Nite-Lite System (D): Car Electronics for very cheap to play around with. I'm pretty sure we could get this thing wired into the light system in a way that works well. For instance, I want to design it so that having the switch on, would control the Auto DRL/headlights depending on the photocell's light, and having the switch off would allow the stalk to operate how it normally does. I still need to see some wiring diagrams to figure this out.

Second thing I noticed. I have a 2012 Trail with Entune, so obviously no Auto lights like the Limited (which is why I'm here writing this), but I did realize the Entune screen changes from Day to Night mode (yellow background to blue background). There must be a photocell and relay in the wiring for this to be happening. I wonder if I could tap into that relay instead to accomplish the same thing that Nite-Lite System does.

If any electrical-savvy people out there want to work together on this mod, I'm willing to be a guinea pig to make this work, *cough* Antman *cough*.

Either way, I will do my best to try and come up with something. I think auto lights would be awesome, but still be able to control them manually with the flip of a switch.

guamlet 02-28-2012 03:39 PM

I would have to agree with ndlaham, this should actually be very easy since we already have a swith in place(DRL on column). I think all the needs to be done is to find a light sensor, provide input power to it, then simply splice into the line coming off the column from the headlight switch to the headlight relay. This could probably be done with a simple t-splice. To get power to the light sensor I would just take the power coming from the DRL switch on the column. This would basically mean the DRL notch on the column would now be auto. I think for me I would disconnect the DRL's altogether because they aren't anything great and I would rather have auto headlights.

My only issue would be if the light senor is normally open or normally closed. Open would seem to make this very easy.

ndlaham if you want to get together, I live St. Cloud and love to tinker with my T4R.

Arterisk 02-28-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guamlet (Post 996934)
I would have to agree with ndlaham, this should actually be very easy since we already have a swith in place(DRL on column). I think all the needs to be done is to find a light sensor, provide input power to it, then simply splice into the line coming off the column from the headlight switch to the headlight relay. This could probably be done with a simple t-splice. To get power to the light sensor I would just take the power coming from the DRL switch on the column. This would basically mean the DRL notch on the column would now be auto. I think for me I would disconnect the DRL's altogether because they aren't anything great and I would rather have auto headlights.

My only issue would be if the light senor is normally open or normally closed. Open would seem to make this very easy.

ndlaham if you want to get together, I live St. Cloud and love to tinker with my T4R.

Guys, if you do this I'm following you on this mod. If I understand correctly, I need to order the Nite-Lite System and figure out how to wire it?

Any idea on where to install the sensor on the dash? Via the driver A pillar seems to be the easiest way.