Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Gauge Needle Removal? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/107232-gauge-needle-removal.html)

Antman 01-30-2012 07:04 PM

Gauge Needle Removal?

Hey guys!

Has anyone removed the gauge needles from the instrument cluster on an SR5? I have a small MOD I'm working on, and I need to remove the speedo needle. I know on some vehicles you can just pull them straight off, and on others you turn the needle past the stop point, where it "wedges" into place before you pull. I don't want to just "pull" without knowing the proper procedure for this particular cluster. Anyone?:confused:

terra4r 01-30-2012 07:16 PM

coming from scion tc, (a toyota product), it just pulls off. Here is a procedure for the Scions, im sure the 4runners is similar.
Detailed writeup on how to change your needles colors! PICS! - Scionlife.com

Hope that points you in the right direction

Antman 01-30-2012 07:33 PM

Wow- that looks like an awesome Forum over there! Thanks for the link, lots of good info there...:thumb3:

terra4r 01-30-2012 08:49 PM

yup, helped out with the tc. Now T4R has my back. :guitar3:

GrantK 01-30-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antman (Post 967836)
Hey guys!

Has anyone removed the gauge needles from the instrument cluster on an SR5? I have a small MOD I'm working on, and I need to remove the speedo needle.

What are you up to now? A small mod for you could be considered a major overhaul for the rest of us.

Antman 01-31-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantK (Post 968070)
What are you up to now? A small mod for you could be considered a major overhaul for the rest of us.

I'm not sayin 'till I know it works :hiding:

I will say, I had the guage cluster apart today...again.

darkie3495 01-31-2012 12:54 AM

Hey Antman, if you haven't pulled the needles off yet, I would recommend not using the "pull hard" method or the "two spoons" method detailed in the thread. Both methods will increase the probability of pulling at an angle and snapping the shaft.

If the 5th Gen cluster is anything like the 4th Gen, using the "fork" method is the safest and easiest. Carefully slide the two center tines underneath the needle center and pop it off that way. Both sides are lifted at the same time and at the same level.

If you did it already and everything is ok, then disregard :cheers:

Antman 01-31-2012 07:59 AM

Thanks alot Kevin! I will definitely try the fork method. I was hoping to hear from some 4th genners with experience on this. :)

Foques 01-31-2012 10:05 AM

wow.. more tC people.. heh.
Antman, every Toyota that we've done LED swap on had exactly that same needle / housing as stated on the Scion forum.
(obviously, we're talking basic clusters, not ones like Trail)

Only thing that I'd add to Darkie's suggestion is that you mark where the needle was before you took it out.