Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Problems with JBL 10 speaker system (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/107894-problems-jbl-10-speaker-system.html)

TigerTownAlum 02-07-2012 10:54 PM

Problems with JBL 10 speaker system

So I’m really excited about my first post on T4R forums! I know that I have some questions and that I’ve obviously come to the right place to get some answers. I have just upgraded from a 94’ 2nd gen to an 05’ 4th gen and boy am I feeling spoiled. I love it so far but there is one thing that I am missing about my 94’. I had a pretty good sound system in my 94’ but sold it with the car because I was looking forward to doing a new system in the 05’. Right now, the 05’ has the JBL Synthesis system in it which is less than I had hoped for and I think that I’m ready to do some upgrading. First on the list was obviously to get rid of the head-unit. I replaced the stock unit with the Kenwood DDX-418. To me, it is a pretty solid head-unit and I’m happy with it. What I’m not really happy with is the way that it is reacting with the JBL system. As I’ve learned after lots of research, the JBL factory amp is responsible for distributing all of the sound from the head-unit to the 10 speaker system… This is very important for the tweeters to only handle highs and the woofers to only handle lows. (I’m pretty sure??) So in order to install any aftermarket Head-unit and retain the factory JBL speaker setup, you have to use an adapter like this one…

Metra Online

Well, when I used this adapter, it worked ok for a day or two. After that, it started cutting out in a few speakers until now I am stuck with what seems to be 5 of 10 speakers working. I am getting no sound from the 2 rears, the center channel, or the 2 rear tweeters. As anyone could imagine, this has left me less than satisfied. I’m not sure if it is the metra adapter, the amp, or whatever…
Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what can be done to fix it?? I’m beginning to lean towards just ripping everything out and totally rewiring the speaker system. (Component system, replace sub in factory location, new amp, etc.) Does anyone agree with me that this would be the best solution?

Desert Fox 02-11-2012 09:40 AM

First welcome to the forum.

I have a 2003 4Runner with the 10 speaker system. I also was less than happy with the factory system. After replacing the head unit with a Kenwood KX995 I am getting acceptable sound. I do plan to replace the amp and component speakers. Not sure if I will replace the sub or midrange speakers. Maybe only the sub.

Currently I am happy with the sound and the money I will spend on the remaining components can go to other mods I want more right now.

I did use the adapter along with the steering wheel control adapter but I have not had any issues with it. I purchased the adapters and HU from Crutchfield and they walked me through the installation of the steering wheel adapter.

Sorry I cant give you any specific direction as to the issue you are experiencing.

If I was in your shoes I would double check my installation then replace the adapter (under warranty I hope) and go from there. Hopefully there are some lose connections.

Good luck

CRAWL UGLY 02-17-2012 02:43 PM

On the TYTO-01 it shows that it has a gain pot on it have you tried adjusting it? Have you tried working through the radio settings to see if you can adjust certain settings to make it sound better?

TigerTownAlum 02-18-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRAWL UGLY (Post 985312)
On the TYTO-01 it shows that it has a gain pot on it have you tried adjusting it? Have you tried working through the radio settings to see if you can adjust certain settings to make it sound better?

ya, I have adjusted the gain on the tyto-01... Everywhere I read, most people were turning it all the way up to compensate for the amp's power.

Since I've posted the first part of this thread, I've been convincing myself to just go ahead and strip out everything and rewire the speaker system with a nice AB amp... 2 sets of components, and eventually replacing the stock sub with a better 8" concealing it like others have done in the forum... Any thoughts? Come on everyone, I'm begging for feedback!

Desert Fox 02-18-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTownAlum (Post 985981)
ya, I have adjusted the gain on the tyto-01... Everywhere I read, most people were turning it all the way up to compensate for the amp's power.

Since I've posted the first part of this thread, I've been convincing myself to just go ahead and strip out everything and rewire the speaker system with a nice AB amp... 2 sets of components, and eventually replacing the stock sub with a better 8" concealing it like others have done in the forum... Any thoughts? Come on everyone, I'm begging for feedback!

Thats the plan I have for mine.

TigerTownAlum 02-27-2012 02:31 PM

Update on my project... I'm acquiring parts right now and am planning on doing a big write up on a complete speaker reconfiguration. I will try to include lots of pictures and instructions for anyone else who may attempt this in the future. Until next time...

TigerTownAlum 03-02-2012 04:55 PM

So another update on my project.

I got most of my parts in the mail yesterday. The only thing I'm waiting on is the 2 amp install kit with the distributor blocks and wiring. It is on back order and it is KILLING me! I have all my install equipment except the wiring kit. I'll just have to wait. Sure can't wait to get stuff starting, whenever that may be...

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2486/imag0254d.jpg

- 2 sets of Infinity Reference 6030cs Component speakers
- Autotek Mean Machine M1400.4 4 channel Amplifier
- 100 ft. of Pyle 12 gauge speaker wire
- Absolute Kit 1450 0GA Dual Amp Kit (backordered!)