Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Correct point for jacking with OEM jack and correct jack stand point? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/122261-correct-point-jacking-oem-jack-correct-jack-stand-point.html)

satek 08-20-2012 10:18 AM

Correct point for jacking with OEM jack and correct jack stand point?

Hiyo,

I made a quick video on where I am going to put my OEM jack and jack stand. Could anyone confirm that this position is safe?

I think you have to click on the image to see the video.

EDIT: Got it. Thanks everybody!

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...2.jpg~original

Qyota 08-20-2012 10:29 AM

I would put a wood block below the jack, and position the jack so it's directly on the frame rail. In that video you have it positioned on a cross member. While that's probably OK...the frame rail is better. Also position the jack stand on the frame rail, near where the bracket for the body mount attaches.

Qyota 08-20-2012 10:31 AM

This brings up another point. Yesterday I needed to change both front sets of brake pads. Instead of jacking up one side at a time, I placed a large piece of wood (about 4x6x20") on top of my floor jack, and positioned it below the very front crossmember (under the front diff). This seems like a great place to jack the whole front end up, and then place two jack stands on either frame rail. Is this OK? Seemed fine while I was doing it, but I didn't know if it put undue stress on the crossmember.

IanB 08-20-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qyota (Post 1147887)
This brings up another point. Yesterday I needed to change both front sets of brake pads. Instead of jacking up one side at a time, I placed a large piece of wood (about 4x6x20") on top of my floor jack, and positioned it below the very front crossmember (under the front diff). This seems like a great place to jack the whole front end up, and then place two jack stands on either frame rail. Is this OK? Seemed fine while I was doing it, but I didn't know if it put undue stress on the crossmember.

That's where I jacked the front of my Surf from with a floor jack, no block of wood though. My skidplate had a round indentation right under the crossmember, so you'd know where to place the jack.

kball 08-20-2012 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a diagram, use the round points to jack and the frame to support. I personally have not used the support areas marked #2. The frame works perfect with the right size jack stands.

theizzardking 08-21-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kball (Post 1148315)
Here's a diagram, use the round points to jack and the frame to support. I personally have not used the support areas marked #2. The frame works perfect with the right size jack stands.

i have jacked my truck up 100's of times and still wonder if some places are ok or not, i'm printing this out and hanging in the garage as a quick reference so i don't kill myself or the dog anytime soon. lol, thanks for that, it's one thing to look at ti and be like awe that's ok it's another to know where the designed lift points are, thanks again.

PeteOB 10-24-2012 03:58 PM

I don't know Jack

Quote:

Originally Posted by kball (Post 1148315)

What's a sidestep??
-I want to paint my rims, but I'm getting mixed answers as to if its safe to use 4 Jack-Stands to hold the whole truck up in order to remove all 4 wheels at once...

IanB 10-24-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteOB (Post 1202905)
What's a sidestep??
-I want to paint my rims, but I'm getting mixed answers as to if its safe to use 4 Jack-Stands to hold the whole truck up in order to remove all 4 wheels at once...

4 properly sized, properly placed jackstands are just fine to hold the entire truck off the ground.

I recommend 6 ton jackstands, they are large base, and very sturdy for a truck of this size.