Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2002 4Runner wheels ruined by Eagle One wheel cleaner, can I fix it? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/123913-2002-4runner-wheels-ruined-eagle-one-wheel-cleaner-can-i-fix.html)

Master Yoder 09-09-2012 03:06 PM

2002 4Runner wheels ruined by Eagle One wheel cleaner, can I fix it?

2002 4Runner Sport Edition. Product was Eagle One All Wheel and Tire.

Well, I learned a good lesson about reading directions today. Hopefully I didn't actually ruin my wheels and there's something I can do to fix it.

I did a quick small test but did not reveal any problems. But I did leave it on for more than 30 seconds before I went to a car wash though.

After the car wash I noticed the wheels look very splotchy and stained. I thought the wheels were aluminum with a clearcoat but someone told me they are painted, can anyone confirm if they are aluminum wheels or if they are painted?

One thing that was suggested is to lightly sand the wheels and then spray clearcoat over them, or to paint them but I do not want to paint my wheels if I can help it.

Has anyone ever dealt with this problem and do you have any suggestions on what I can do to fix it?

BigFishAllDay 09-09-2012 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These ones, right? Definitely painted.

Attachment 71056

Master Yoder 09-09-2012 03:27 PM

Yep, that's it. I can't believe this crap. The Only thing I did is leave it on for about 3 or 4 minutes longer that it suggested, some kind of warning telling you it would destroy your finish if left longer than 30 seconds would have been nice.

Is they a easy way to fix this without reprinting the wheels?

ChildrenOfBodom 09-09-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Yoder (Post 1164222)
Yep, that's it. I can't believe this crap. The Only thing I did is leave it on for about 3 or 4 minutes longer that it suggested, some kind of warning telling you it would destroy your finish if left longer than 30 seconds would have been nice.

Is they a easy way to fix this without reprinting the wheels?

A photo of the damage would really help us assess your situation.

T4R2014 09-09-2012 06:06 PM

Yup, acid etched the finish. I'm pretty sure they're painted. You could try some rubbing compound.

Master Yoder 09-10-2012 12:11 AM

Good idea. Here is a link to pictures of the damage.

TEMP pictures by MJSJPhotos - Photobucket

NCrunner2012 09-10-2012 09:17 AM

You are most likely going to have to repaint them.

KidVermicious 09-10-2012 09:24 AM

I thought you said they were ruined. Those look like they'll still hold a tire and go round and round to me.

Get a couple rattlecans of self-etching primer and silver spray paint and go to town.

t4r4life 09-10-2012 01:53 PM

at least you didn't paint half your truck with bedliner :(

808Runna 09-10-2012 05:57 PM

throw some wax/polish on 'em. it will atleast help for sure.

Master Yoder 09-13-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidVermicious (Post 1164756)
I thought you said they were ruined. Those look like they'll still hold a tire and go round and round to me.

Get a couple rattlecans of self-etching primer and silver spray paint and go to town.

Ha, good point point but they look like crap. I haven't graduated this SUV to full blown offroad camping rig yet.

How does the spray can stuff hold long term?It seems like it would just peel and crack in a years time. I might see if a body shop can repaint them with better quality stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808Runna (Post 1165203)
throw some wax/polish on 'em. it will atleast help for sure.

The same stuff you use on the rest of the vehicle? I could coat it with clear coat in a can too.

One thing is for certain, I will never use wheel cleaner crap again. Next time I am just going to use degreasing dish soap and a brush.

KidVermicious 09-13-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Yoder (Post 1167401)
Ha, good point point but they look like crap. I haven't graduated this SUV to full blown offroad camping rig yet.

Give it time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Yoder (Post 1167401)
How does the spray can stuff hold long term?

Hell if I know, mine never lasts past the next wheeling trip :). I imagine that with a decent prep job and a couple good coats followed by a laquer or enamel that it should hold up well. Or you could always plastdip. I suspect that a professional refinish job is going to cost you near as much a new set of rims, though.

You can't do any worse than you've already got, that's for sure. Clean them up good, hit 'em with some self-etching primer and see what you can make happen.

Master Yoder 09-13-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidVermicious (Post 1167414)
Give it time.

Hell if I know, mine never lasts past the next wheeling trip :). I imagine that with a decent prep job and a couple good coats followed by a laquer or enamel that it should hold up well. Or you could always plastdip. I suspect that a professional refinish job is going to cost you near as much a new set of rims, though.

You can't do any worse than you've already got, that's for sure. Clean them up good, hit 'em with some self-etching primer and see what you can make happen.

Well, that's true. If there is no way to shine the **** I might as well repaint it. They were in such good shape for their age too.

What my plan is is to keep the 4Runner as long as I can and when we replace it with a newer vehicle some day keep it as a more "rugged" vehicle that I don't mind a scratch or two. I'll take it camping now but not romping through dead brush and tree limbs.

squabeggz 09-13-2012 06:26 PM

Well, the wheel cleaner definitely works....cleaned the paint right off of them. :biggrin2:

You'd have to get the tires pulled, but how about powder coating? Could be a bit pricey though...as well as being a PITA.