Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   4wd Issue Has Me Stumped! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/124643-4wd-issue-has-me-stumped.html)

gornish_hick 09-19-2012 07:59 AM

4wd Issue Has Me Stumped!

I really love my 4Runner but sometimes it's like a nagging girlfriend, it gets a problem and drives a fella nuts. Well about a month ago I lost my 4wd. The t-case would shift in to 4hi and 4lo but It wouldn't shift in on the front diff and my 4wd indicator light would not come on. So I dug out the vacuum tester and had great vacuum to the actuator and electrically everything seemed fine, so I figured I keyed it down to a faulty actuator. I went and picked up a new actuator and installed it on the weekend. After I got it in a threw it in 4wd Hi and Low and the indicator light came on fine and I thought, there I fixed it. Not the case, last night I decided to try it out while just out playing around. Indicator light would come on and it would shift into and feel like it was in 4wd but only the rear would spin. So now I'm stumped, any ideas what might be causing this? Any help would be great, thanks!

Bishard 09-19-2012 08:53 AM

Try switching the vac lines connected to the two soleniod switches. The hoses are color coded but I don't remember which one is for 4 and 2wd. Worked for me until getting new solenoid. Good Luck

gornish_hick 09-19-2012 08:56 AM

Thanks I give that a try!

fourwd1 09-19-2012 09:22 AM

If the 4wd indicator lights the actuator should be locking the axle for 4wd.
Let's make sure there's not a tcase problem too.
In 2wd grab and rotate the front drvshft, it should rotate freely.
Then put it in 4hi and repeat, it shouldn't rotate freely.

gornish_hick 09-19-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourwd1 (Post 1172466)
If the 4wd indicator lights the actuator should be locking the axle for 4wd.
Let's make sure there's not a tcase problem too.
In 2wd grab and rotate the front drvshft, it should rotate freely.
Then put it in 4hi and repeat, it shouldn't rotate freely.

Tcase is working like it should , driveshaft is locking in in 4wd, I have a feeling the problem lies in the front, just not sure what other things I should look at.

fourwd1 09-19-2012 08:59 PM

I think you need to make sure the ADD actuator is actually sliding over and locking the axle shafts. The 4wd indicator lamp lighting up says it is, but maybe it's hitting the switch for the 4wd indicator lamp before it actually locks the axle.
You may have to disassemble the ADD assy a bit to see.

gornish_hick 09-19-2012 09:19 PM

Thats what I am thinking it might be Now after I finally found a diagram of how it works. Thanks for the input, I think im going to take the actuator back off here tomorrow night and have a look in and see what i screwed up on.

nevada 09-19-2012 09:32 PM

that has a fork, and collar right?
maybe the fork is misaligned, and outside the collar.

gornish_hick 09-19-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevada (Post 1173080)

That is what i think might be going on with it now

cj80cruiser 09-19-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevada (Post 1173080)

That is correct.

To OP.....I have one sitting in my shop dissassembled. If something is going on with yours I should have whatever you need.

revenantdead 09-19-2012 10:43 PM

before you tear anything out of the driveline, check the ADD relay. it's up in the front uner the dash, behind the passenger side kick panel. the contacts in mine were all types of rusty and corroded.