Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Cheap used snow tires and rims or chains, which would you buy first? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/132142-cheap-used-snow-tires-rims-chains-would-you-buy-first.html)

dbsoundman 01-02-2013 05:31 PM

Cheap used snow tires and rims or chains, which would you buy first?

OK guys, I've got a bit of a dilemma here. I want to do some winter exploratory driving this year in the mountains of CO, but primarily on-road; I'm still a newbie to this state, much less my 4Runner. Before I do that, I want to make sure I have some sort of snow-specific traction device. I have two options, but I can only pick one right now due to my budget:

Option 1: I found a person with a nice set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on rims, which were originally used with my 4Runner before it was sold to a dealer (long story there). The owner says the tires have at least 2 more years of use left on them. They want something like $100 for the set.
Option 2: Buy a nice new set of 4 snow cables or chains (that's a whole other argument there). This would most likely cost at least $150.

I'm tempted to say that out here the snow tires are the better deal for sure, especially considering the price. The snow here is obviously more dry and the chain laws allow those with 4 wheel drive and snow tires to be exempted from having to chain up, unless the situation is really bad (in which case I don't plan on being there).

I should also add that I'm waiting on my Christmas order from Amazon to come in right now, which consists of a 48" hi lift, two recovery straps, 4 D shackles, and a hi lift tire strap, so I can most likely get out of a tough spot if I happen to get into one.

Given these circumstances, what would you choose?

So Many Roads 01-02-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbsoundman (Post 1262007)
chain laws allow those with 4 wheel drive and snow tires to be exempted from having to chain up

AT tires count as snow tires and work well in the snow. You need good AT tires anyway, and they will do fine in 99% of the conditions you encounter. No need for snow tires or chains as long as you have 4WD. Use common sense & drive slowly.

T4R2014 01-02-2013 06:22 PM

The tires would be a better deal IMO. I wouldn't compare snow tires to A/T's. Snow tires have way more siping than A/T tires. 4WD gets you moving but it won't help you to stop. My vote is the tires and you get another set of rims!

hrt4me 01-02-2013 07:31 PM

do you know how to properly use a Hi-Lift jack without hurting yourself?

did you also order a base for your Hi-Lift jack?

fourwd1 01-02-2013 09:15 PM

If your doing mostly on road exploring, a good set of snow only tires (not all season, except maybe BFG ATs) would be a good choice.
If you will doing this in heavy deep snows, chains are way better.

flatboy 01-02-2013 09:18 PM

I vote snow tires all the way.

Scotty_h 01-02-2013 09:42 PM

No, get the chains...
Where is that dealer at?:biggrin2:

shadow247 01-02-2013 10:19 PM

My BFG A/T's were AWESOME in the snow. I never had any problem with fully aired tires. I imagine if you aired down a few PSI you could tackle most anything with them. I wouldn't spend my money on "snow" tires to be honest, as I had plenty of traction with the BFG AT's. You are planning on doing just on-road driving right? You could add a set of snow chains to some BFG A/T's and have plenty of traction off-road if you needed it.

Lineman 01-03-2013 12:13 AM

Blizzaks are the way to go or Nokian winter tires. No A/T tire compares to a true winter snowflake rated tire. 4wd is mandatory but yes your tires will get you up the hills. As for trying to be cheap on tires. You get what you pay for and I prefer never to go cheap on Rubber items.

IanB 01-03-2013 12:24 AM

Duratracs, the only AT I would ever say can double as a snow tire, but even then snow tires are better in the winter, period. Of the options you've given, snow tires & extra wheels 100%, there are a lot of cons that come with running chains, and if you take them on and off as needed, they wont' be on when you needed them.

T4R_MTL 01-03-2013 03:02 AM

tires - take it from someone who lives in Canada and just had a 45cm (a foot and half) snow storm :)

BURNINGAIR 01-03-2013 03:15 AM

Snow tires, if even that. Here in Colorado Springs I only run my normal tires... Even if I'm on the trail with 2-3ft of snow... Just works better IMO. And its not like we are burried in snow all winter. Only normal tires on my DD also..

CaliCal 01-03-2013 04:11 AM

tires

you can also get chains for cheap on craigslist. also, some places would fine you if you're not carrying them.

dbsoundman 01-03-2013 11:32 AM

Thanks, looks like I'll be going for the tires!

To answer the Hi-Lift question, no, I have not used a Hi-Lift yet, but I plan on practicing with it in the safety of my driveway before trying to use it out in the field. I'm going to take every possible precaution, but it's not like they come with a course on how to use them in all situations, so I'm going to rely on youtube and various web tutorials to understand how it's done. I don't just buy tools like that with no intent of learning how to use them. I may be a n00b but I'm not an idiot, thanks.

man jerk 01-03-2013 12:33 PM

What type of driving are you talking about? You mentioned "IN the mountains" but are you talking snowpacked roads or deep snow on forest service roads?

What kind of tires are you currently running?

Mine is on some AT's and is a beast in the snow. As long as you know HOW to drive in the snow. I would not suggest chains unless you are doing some off highway snow-wheeling.