Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Kmc strikes, TOO MUCH OFFSET? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/135550-kmc-strikes-too-much-offset.html)

derekdevasia 02-16-2013 11:06 AM

Kmc strikes, TOO MUCH OFFSET?

Alright, i'm in the boat for a new set of wheels. I'm currently at 3 inches of lift, and coming soon is my toytec 1 inch body lift. I've heard people at offroad shops saying that to run this wheel i'd have to have a larger lift without insane rubbing issues. I do know that with this combination my wheels will be sticking out of the fender, and that's exactly what i'm going for. So here is the wheel that i'm looking at.

http://www.rimzoneonline.com/categor...-availability/

It's a KMC Strike wheel, 17x9, with a -24 offset. I want to run it with 285/70/17 toyo open country at 2's

If that's not possible my other option is the KMC Addict wheel, which is a 17x9, with a -12 offset.

http://www.rimzoneonline.com/categor...8-Matte-Black/

SO if anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Derek G 02-16-2013 12:30 PM

Hate to rain on your parade but they are right. There is no way your going be able to get close to running that combo of wheel and tire without much more extensive modifications. OE offset is about 5.5 inches give or take. With the the setup you want to run you're going to have two major problems.

1) you'll probably get about 25 degrees of steering turn before you rub

2)with that large of a tire on that drastic of an offset change, your wheel bearings, knuckles, cv joints will last about 1000 miles before they're all shot.

derekdevasia 02-16-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek G (Post 1304058)
Hate to rain on your parade but they are right. There is no way your going be able to get close to running that combo of wheel and tire without much more extensive modifications. OE offset is about 5.5 inches give or take. With the the setup you want to run you're going to have two major problems.

1) you'll probably get about 25 degrees of steering turn before you rub

2)with that large of a tire on that drastic of an offset change, your wheel bearings, knuckles, cv joints will last about 1000 miles before they're all shot.

Gosh darn it! So how about the KMC addict?

gaterose 02-16-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekdevasia (Post 1304059)
Gosh darn it! So how about the KMC addict?

There are several people running those, and that backspacing on other wheels. I think it's close to stock + 1.5" spacers.

edit - you're still likely to have rubbing with 285s (with any wheel), but I assume you already know that.

CNJ Runner 02-16-2013 02:16 PM

IMO the addicts look better anyway. and yes with 285s you will need trimming and probably body mount chop

SCSPerformance 02-16-2013 04:42 PM

You can run the 17x9 with -12 offset and 285s. Just be prepare for some cutting and chopping if you plan to go off-roading.

mikey's2010SR5 02-16-2013 05:15 PM

I am running a 17x9 with the negative offset and had to do a bit of trimming to get it to work.

derekdevasia 02-17-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey's2010SR5 (Post 1304217)
I am running a 17x9 with the negative offset and had to do a bit of trimming to get it to work.

I'm aware i'll be trimming and doing the body mount chop, but Mikey, how much do the wheels stick out of your fender? Or does it stay flush?

derekdevasia 02-17-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaterose (Post 1304061)
There are several people running those, and that backspacing on other wheels. I think it's close to stock + 1.5" spacers.

edit - you're still likely to have rubbing with 285s (with any wheel), but I assume you already know that.

Thanks for the reply! and yes i am aware that i'll need to be cutting, i'm just hoping not to do anything too drastic

jdkilroy 02-17-2013 10:58 AM

Stand out from the crowd; go with skinny tires ! No rubbing issues. Go anywhere your friends go offroad except mud and snow deeper than your diff.

I'm running 33's on wheels that have 4.5" backspace. No spacers, no body lift, no cutting or chopping and no rubbing. (except on my front mud flaps and I could always remove them)

derekdevasia 02-17-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkilroy (Post 1304613)
Stand out from the crowd; go with skinny tires ! No rubbing issues. Go anywhere your friends go offroad except mud and snow deeper than your diff.

I'm running 33's on wheels that have 4.5" backspace. No spacers, no body lift, no cutting or chopping and no rubbing. (except on my front mud flaps and I could always remove them)

I would do that, since i'd have less rolling resistance with skinnier tires as well, but all I go through if i'm offroading is mud and snow!

jdkilroy 02-17-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekdevasia (Post 1304652)
I would do that, since i'd have less rolling resistance with skinnier tires as well, but all I go through if i'm offroading is mud and snow!

If you need float for sand or snow deeper than your diff then wider tires are better but overall, skinnier tires will get through to solid ground beneath and provide better traction.

For fun, watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGWp8R-IqoE
The vehicles are all Rovers but notice what they are using for tires to get through beastly bad mud and all sorts of other conditions.

As an aside; avoid mud. It makes a mess and breaks things.

mikey's2010SR5 02-17-2013 03:51 PM

They are pretty much flush, but that is on a 5th Gen. But the backspacing is good for both Gens