Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/alaska-and-hawaii/)
-   -   Alaska members please chime in (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/alaska-and-hawaii/135673-alaska-members-please-chime.html)

TOY2G 02-18-2013 12:31 AM

Alaska members please chime in

I am considering moving the family to Alaska. I have been looking at properties near the only two cities I know.

I would like a place close to civilization, ie airport, schools, target super center exc. I would like as far south as possible, mostly to avoid the insane winters.

I just should like to hear from people who have lived or do live in AK. I want to get away from the mainland and a little more off the grid.

Any advice would be great, I am not looking to be talked into or out of it, I just want to know what I may be getting into. And more information about areas in AK from a perspective you cannot have if you have not lived there.

Thanks

central8-23 02-22-2013 11:46 PM

once you come to Alaska you'll never leave. I live in Wasilla,Ak and its a fast growing area. Its not a big city so people are spread out over a large area. You can hunt out your back door. The winters are mild with the occasional big snow storm. we do get big winds but so does the rest of south central alaska. Most people commute to anchorage alaska for work which is a 40 mile drive.
If you have specific questions just pm me
justin

TOY2G 02-23-2013 01:57 AM

Justin thank you. The wife only has one request.....shopping... Are there theaters, shopping malls, or a target/Walmart there?

central8-23 02-23-2013 02:19 AM

In anchorage theres shopping malls. In wasilla theres target, walmart, sears, ect. They just built a imax theater in anchorage. So yes there is alot of places to shop. Depending on where u buy u might have to drive an hour depending on what u want. But its beautiful up here and your a fool if you dont move lol.

akbass907 02-23-2013 05:10 AM

i live in chugiak alaska (in between anchorage and wasilla)
like the fellow above said, once you come you will never leave! it is so beautiful up here! offroading is intense, people are (for the most part) really really nice, if you dont live in anchorage and have to comute just be aware of the crazy drivers during snow storms, theres always that dick in a big chevy that thinks he is impervious to snow and ice and ends up driving someone off the road or going off himself.

shopping is fine, we have 3 malls in anchorage, and theres always super stores in every city, fred meyers, walmart, sears, target, 3bears. so on so forth. they have a brand new theater out in wasilla and there are 3 big theaters in anchorage, one is an imax and rpx theater, the rest are just normal. you really have to live here for atleast a year to understand why we never leave, the winter may be cold at times but nuthing beats the summers up here (as long as you get out of the house!)

trail ranger 04-28-2013 05:17 PM

Moving to Fort Richardson in July

I will be up there in July. gonna take the ferry to Haines after my drive across the states. Hope we all can make some events happen once I get on ground.
Lyle

4runner907 02-05-2014 02:25 PM

I live in anchorage. And I'm with the other two. It's great up here, as long as you get out and do stuff. Plus I need to get some more people to network with up here who are into building runners. I'd love to have people to call and help me with mine, lol.

TOY2G 02-05-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runner907 (Post 1612333)
I live in anchorage. And I'm with the other two. It's great up here, as long as you get out and do stuff. Plus I need to get some more people to network with up here who are into building runners. I'd love to have people to call and help me with mine, lol.

We have a family friend in Anchorage, but plans got pushed back at least 18 months due to moving to Oho to set up a second warehouse.

RaginTxn84 09-30-2014 10:48 AM

Just moved up here - loving every minute of it - if you like the mountains, outdoors, and don't mind the cold - you'd love it up here. Hopefully your ventures in OH go well enough to let you come up here - gl

TOY2G 09-30-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaginTxn84 (Post 1806542)
Just moved up here - loving every minute of it - if you like the mountains, outdoors, and don't mind the cold - you'd love it up here. Hopefully your ventures in OH go well enough to let you come up here - gl

Not a huge fan of he cold, but I can deal with it. My concern is (as it is here in Ohio) the salt on the roads. I just do not want to own a rust bucket, its that simple.. lol

RaginTxn84 10-11-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOY2G (Post 1806565)
Not a huge fan of he cold, but I can deal with it. My concern is (as it is here in Ohio) the salt on the roads. I just do not want to own a rust bucket, its that simple.. lol

Meh - I was in Wheeling last year for that cold snap they had (high 12, low -11??), and then I lived in eastern Idaho for nearly 7 years - so the cold doesn't bother me - it's actually more home to me than the texas heat I grew up in - lol

Talking to the locals up here, everyone has told me that they do not use salt, just gravel - so you shouldn't get the good ol' under rust, but how effective is gravel...??? In Idaho they used lava rock...it kinda helped, but mostly just turned the bottoms of your jeans red.

There's a guy up here in my office that is trying to put together monthly (to start) trailing trips - so if you end up coming up I'll let ya know if I hear anything going on.

Bretski1 11-07-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaginTxn84 (Post 1815640)

There's a guy up here in my office that is trying to put together monthly (to start) trailing trips - so if you end up coming up I'll let ya know if I hear anything going on.

I'm moving up in May, I'd love to get in on those with you guys!

RaginTxn84 11-07-2014 08:30 PM

Sounds good - shoot me a PM and I'll let ya know what's going on (at least from my view point and this guy here at work) - gl and be prepared for a bit of sticker shock on housing - just fyi

psraff 05-07-2015 07:18 PM

Bump....

Bretski1 11-10-2015 03:51 AM

I'm here!

Hey guys, just moved to Eagle River (from Fairbanks originally). Where are some favorite places to take your rigs?