Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   5th Gen Lift Suggestions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/144076-5th-gen-lift-suggestions.html)

sbcsar26 06-13-2013 01:34 PM

5th Gen Lift Suggestions

I am knew to the off-road world and I need some help in finding a lift kit for a 2013 trail edition.

Any thoughts or pointers would be much appreciated. I am pretty much out in left field with all this.

Thanks!

Natey 06-13-2013 01:42 PM

What are your plans for the truck? If you just want to look good and maybe go camping, spacers are most likely fine. Toytec, etc. If you wanna go all-out and jump the thing or somethin, you can spend thousands on Icon stuff or something similar.

Okki 06-13-2013 01:50 PM

Until you provide some more insight into your reasons for wanting a lift, not a whole lot of recommendations can be given. A lift is not a requirement for offroad usage and sliders/skidplates may be a better/sufficient choice for your purpose.

Okki

sbcsar26 06-13-2013 04:00 PM

I want to add 2 to 3 inches of lift to keep from bottoming out so much. I did a driving school last weekend and the clearance was less then desirable. There was another 4Runner in the course and he didn't have the issues I did because he had put in a lift kit.

I am not real sure what I want to do as this is my first 4x4. So all this is a little new. I had someone reccommend an OME.

I know some of this is driving experience, and maybe I need to start with getting more of that before I put in a lift. I am not interested in jumping rocks. Just being able to get into the backcountry when I want to go exploring.

Does that make sense???:thanks:

cbielat 06-13-2013 04:04 PM

Search Box works wonders.

Tengu 06-13-2013 04:07 PM

Several choices here without getting crazy.
Complete Lift Kits - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

Instructor 06-13-2013 04:33 PM

I am running front and rear OME coils on stock strut/shocks and I am very happy with the lift height and ride. I acheived 3" lift in the front and about 2" in the rear, giving me a near level stance with increased spring rate in the rear if I need to add additional cargo. I am running the 2884 front coils and 2895E in the rear. If maximum wheels travel is a concern, new OME shocks could be added. Coils were less than $375 shipped.

Okki 06-13-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbcsar26 (Post 1403759)
I had someone reccommend an OME.

I know some of this is driving experience, and maybe I need to start with getting more of that before I put in a lift. I am not interested in jumping rocks. Just being able to get into the backcountry when I want to go exploring.

Does that make sense???:thanks:

Which version 4Runner do you have? on a TE or SR5 you can go fairly easy to a different coil/shock. on a Limited it's a bit more work due to the XREAS. But for most no-rock-jumping back country you do not need a lift.

If you are just planning on taking service roads into national parks and the odd back trail, you will do better with just slightly better skid plates and regardless of lift or plates, a good spotter.

If you are going to do more serious offroading you will end up with both suspension and skid work, so starting with the skids is an easier and cheaper start.

Spacers give you some lift, but they also preload the suspension and that is not necessarily what you want in either your road or offroad handling.

If you are going to do trails, also get sliders .... soon. My sliders saved my ass on my first trip out. plus they help with Walmart parking door dings.

Okki

Hellamatic 06-13-2013 07:07 PM

I would suggest the "search" feature

thebwlife 06-13-2013 08:58 PM

These should all work on your 4Runner

The NEW Complete Lift Listing and Comparison, they're all here! UPDATED! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

sbcsar26 06-13-2013 10:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I will do my research and let you know what I end up doing. Thanks for helping out this newbee!

2013Trail 06-14-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natey (Post 1403597)
What are your plans for the truck? If you just want to look good and maybe go camping, spacers are most likely fine. Toytec, etc. If you wanna go all-out and jump the thing or somethin, you can spend thousands on Icon stuff or something similar.

So, if spacers are used is a diff drop needed?

2013Trail 06-14-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instructor (Post 1403788)
I am running front and rear OME coils on stock strut/shocks and I am very happy with the lift height and ride. I acheived 3" lift in the front and about 2" in the rear, giving me a near level stance with increased spring rate in the rear if I need to add additional cargo. I am running the 2884 front coils and 2895E in the rear. If maximum wheels travel is a concern, new OME shocks could be added. Coils were less than $375 shipped.

Did you install the coils yourself? If so, how long did it take? Did you need a diff drop?

2013Trail 06-14-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instructor (Post 1403788)

Also, do you have to have the alignment adjusted after installing the coils? Any issues like front wheel vibration, pulling, wandering, etc. since it's been lifted?

Okki 06-14-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013Trail (Post 1404413)
Also, do you have to have the alignment adjusted after installing the coils? Any issues like front wheel vibration, pulling, wandering, etc. since it's been lifted?

When you lift, you will want to get UCA's (upper control arms) to correct the camber; especially when you are pushing 3 inches. and of course a proper alignment. There have been numerous threads on this subject that a search will pull up for you.

You may also want to call some vendors (Brandon @ Metal Tech 4x4, Bobby at High Tech Auto, Etc) as they can provide you a lot of insight as well and help with sourcing parts/installation.

Okki